Poll: Do you sharpen your own knives?

Do you sharpen your own knives?

• Total voters
Okay fellas, after a question on another thread from Eli Chaps Eli Chaps I wondered about this. Vote, and let's see what we're made of. You can vote with multiple responses if you use more than one method.

Personally, I mostly freehand but sometimes will do a quick touch-up on the Sharpmaker. I also use a belt sander for heavy reprofiling or thinning out behind the edge and changing blade shape.

Edit: to add pull-through option.

I use power equipment, Sharpmaker and freehand. But have to admit, I love freehand.

Guided (Edgepro Professional) as of now. learning free hand.

Last edited:
  1. i started with Taidea mini pull-through, got 4 or 5 of em.
  2. then i wasted time on the Taidea guided (rebranded Exduct).
  3. then i spent hundreds of happy hours on the Ruixin guided (modded unit).
  4. then i got the Sharpmaker, operated it for 2 months conventionally in the "V"-setup but didn't like it
  5. finally i transitioned to freehanding on the aforementioned system stones (ruixin XOR 204uf) for touchups
Being able to freehand a knife on such narrow stones means that i am not a beginner anymore. :p

Last edited:
Have a Kme and sharpmaker. I don’t use the guides and stands anymore. I prefer freehand. Takes less time and in my opinion is more fun.

I have a couple of stones which i sometimes try on my beat to death Hultafors GK, but i mainly use the Lansky system. Not very good at it, but always improving.

Feel free to repost a link to the poll if you like.

I can’t think of a good way to get a representative sample, even by posting it around. It’ll still be self-selected, so skewed to people who want to announce their answer.

My ultimate goal in learning how to sharpen was freehand. I'm there now, and there's no looking back.

I started with guided systems like Lansky, Gatco and DMT Aligner. They taught me what to look for in a fully-finished edge (full apex, burr formation, etc), and also the value of being patient in getting there. After establishing how important those factors are, I started focusing on doing the same in freehand sharpening. I don't use the guides anymore, though I can see that they can still be useful in some cases, when cosmetically 'perfect' bevels are a specific goal. Otherwise, sharp is sharp, and it doesn't need to look as pretty to be so. ;)

Part of my 'freehand' sharpening also occasionally includes utilizing crock-stick sharpeners (SM, etc) for quick touch-ups. They're just too easy not to use, when applied in the right circumstance. The touch & feel learned in freehand sharpening is beneficial in using these tools as well, so results always get better if some freehand experience is applied in using them. I've drilled my own bases for some of my round-rod crock stick sharpeners, to set them at my own preferred angle (25° inclusive), a perfect complement to my freehand edges, for touching up.

I mostly freehand but my KME still sees regular use and I'm very glad to have it. I don't buy a lot of the "harder" steels and when I do it's pretty much in smaller knives so the KME and the diamonds get that work. It's also great for re-profiling or fixing my screws-ups freehanding!

I know I'm in the minority but I freaking love Arkansas stones and the edge they give so they see the bulk of work (BD1, BD1N, VG10, various kitchen-type alloys, etc.)

I hope that those reading this that don't sharpen don't get discouraged but rather inspired. Put some money into a guided system and learn. Discover the joy and satisfaction of putting your own edge on your own knife and realizing you can do it! If you want to start freehand, by all means, I always just worry that people will get flustered and abandon the notion.

Freehand, but always scratch the blade. It's not as bad with hollow ground as with flat. Would it help if I covered the upper sides of the blade with tape?

I have a Sharpmaker, and even some diamond rods, but have never been motivated to try it. I watched the video. Is it as easy as Sal make it look? Sould I try it on some cheapo's?

I am a real sad sack in this area.

Freehand, but always scratch the blade. It's not as bad with hollow ground as with flat. Would it help if I covered the upper sides of the blade with tape?

I have a Sharpmaker, and even some diamond rods, but have never been motivated to try it. I watched the video. Is it as easy as Sal make it look? Sould I try it on some cheapo's?

I am a real sad sack in this area.

You may be laying the blade back too far. Hard to know because edge angles vary so much but that is my first thought. Do you use a marker on the bevel to ensure you're hitting it properly?

I don't have a Sharpmaker so will defer to others.

Don't get flustered. It's just a learning process.

Back