[Poll] Endura 3/salt vs Endura 4 (Which do you prefer ergos wise)

Im doing a poll to see if there are anyone who prefer the Endura 3(Pacific salt) ergonomics over the Endura 4 or vise versa. The finger placement and over all the handle size and ergo's.
(Borrowed Picture)
28886824541_eb4cfac931_h.jpg

You know Paul, I would love to see a large poll of Endura users asking if they preferred the ergonomics of the Endura 3 or the 4. I'm not talking about frn texture or anything...just the placement of the finger grooves. Personally I prefer the shape of the Pacific Salt (Endura 3).

This recently came up in my thread and i figured i would nip this in the butt and see what everyone thinks.
Thanks

For a quick cut and done I'm ok with either, but for extended periods of cutting I prefer the Salt.

Here's my 2 cents. Best I can tell, with the e4 they widened the front groove and made the middle one narrower. When I hold the Pacific Salt I usually just have my forefinger in the front groove and my next two in the middle and pinkie in the last. I can also choke up and squeeze two and two and not use the last groove at all.

On the E4 however, the front groove seems like it is a bit wide for just one finger (plus the middle groove doesn't accomodate two fingers in that grip). I guess the knife was intended to be used with two fingers in the front groove one in the middle and pinkie in the last groove but that positioning doesn't feel great to me. I find the older grip is more natural and gives me more options.

I have a bunch of Enduras...mostly 4's but also one or two waved models. I've never had a Pacific Salt, although I do want to get a fully serrated one to try it out. I have found that I prefer my HAP40 or ZDP Stretch to the Endura or the Delica...it fits my hand better. The Endura's closed length is just too long for me to handle easily.
I believe that our favorite shark-hunter shares a similar opinion.

PAC salt is much wider in the pinky part of the grip to me at least. They both are really good, but if pressed the E4>E4

I like them both, but I have a slight preference for the Pacific Salt. I think the Salt 1 beats out the Delica slightly on ergos as well. That said, the full flat grinds on the E4 and D4 are a much bigger factor for me as far as performance goes.

I prefer Pac Salt handle, as it's quite close to Cara Cara (without choil). The best configuration I can think of is Cara Cara FRN but rounded like Pac Salt / Endura, not boxy like existing Cara Cara, with E4 bidirectional texture, keep the choil (Cara Cara). I'm guessing that the Pac Salt or E3 is closest to Cara Cara, because that was what Cara Cara designed to be after. E4 revolution came after.

I have medium small hand, and the most natural hold on E4 is the thumb on ramp, two 1 finger in first groove (naturally if thumb is straight & resting on ramp), the n the rest of fingers follow. I can't fit 2 fingers in the next groove so last 2 fingers in last groove (3rd finger barely over the hump). I think Pac Salt is more comfortable for me mainly because of the wider butt. The effect is similar to Stretch, with the Stretch butt end curves inward. Very comfortable.

Last edited:
Wow this is a little weird deferential not what i was expecting but so far the Salt/E3 is winner!
Keep the votes coming so far its.....
Salt/Endura 3: 6
Endura 4: 2

Thanks for the input so far!

I think the Enduras and Delicas are better because of the curved back near the end as opposed to the Salts' squared off ends. For the Pacific and Endura, they both feel good, but with the Salt 1 and Delica, the Delica wins out big time. I know you didn't ask about the smaller two knives, but there you have it.

Jazzz,

I prefer the wider butt of Pac Salt, and the placement of the finger groove. However, I agree that the rounded spine (curved) of E4 is better than the squared butt of Pac Salt. That's why I unconsciously prefer Cara Cara, but with the edges curved and not boxy. Thanks for noting the spine aspect.

The earlier delicas/salts fit my hand better than the new. I even sanded down the middle-hump on one of my delicas.

I find the Endura4 very awkward and the Salt/E3 far more comfortable.

I will also add that for me the Stretch is 10 times better than either one. The Stretch melts into my hand.

Back