Votes: 0 0.0%

• I have never done a pre-order with you but I want to

Votes: 26 20.2%
  • I have never done a pre-order with you and I don't want to

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
I've participated in a few pre-orders and have always been very happy with the results. i anticipate the same will be true with the K18.
Plus, any customization options are always amazing.

Have some custom boots on order that are still many months out. Next day delivery can be nice, but waiting for Quality is a non-issue for me, and to be expected.

Of course communication goes a long way, and CPK has always been great with that

As a potential customer, I'll be honest. I'm put-off by the Friday speed sales. It's a game I have no interest in. As CPK has no problem moving their knives, it seems to work well for them. Not so much for the customer I'm afraid.

I have no problem being patient. I have custom guitars I've waited over 3 years for, and a custom amp that took almost 2 years. (interestingly- it was finished when promised, to the day!) All required thousands upfront.

Why not give potential customers the option of waiting in an orderly queue? Make them pay in full upon ordering if it helps.

Forcing clients to make a frantic purchase in a seconds long time window is what my father would have called a "Mickey Mouse" way of doing things. It's not businesslike.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but you asked.

Regarding your comment, "Micky Mouse way of doing things - It's not business like". This needs some rebuttal because the dizzying fast pace ways of Fridays sales were not designed in that way yet have morphed into how things have become. Before there was even a Carothers Performance Knives (a subforum and nomenclature which only dates back to June 2016) as an entity or a even trading name, Nathan used to produce a bucket full of knives (his words) every couple of weeks, run a sale on Fridays and have Jo contact claimants the following week ... Lather, rinse and repeat. In other words, things were pretty chill and relaxed with some sales not selling out for hours or even for days! All you have to do to verify this is to go back and check the pace of Nathan's sales from say 2011 to 2015. Nothing unbusinesslike about any of this as they seem to have preferred a slower pace, maybe less headaches (because knives were already made and ready to ship) and perhaps even a better quality in their personal lives. Lest we also forget that knife making was not even Nathan's main business staple 6-7 years ago!

Today's CPK has grown from words of mouth backed by awesome quality knives offered at great values as compared to their peers (IMHO they are peerless for how they are and for what they are but I'm very biased). Nathan is actually terrible at the marketing game and gimmickry! His website is antiquated, unfinished and the Webmaster is overworked already. CPK has never used outside social media influencers and just marches to its own beat. There is no doubt in the fact that as CPK grows Nathan will have to rethink and revise his antiquated sales method but then again, he's a technical guy (not a marketing guy) with plenty on his plate already. I don't think that the way his Fridays sales go down is entirely pleasing to him but he also counts on the CPK patrons and crucially the CPK veterans to display modicums of respect and restraint. Honestly what turns some people off, specially the pedestrian type of potential customers like you, emanates from the conduct of some people SUCH AS ME AND MY ILK than what Nathan condones or even sanctions. I feel that it is high time that some of us / most of us clean up our acts because we are clearly imprinting a bad reflection on CPK. I have become more introspective about this and hope that some of the others who read this and feel the resonance will also follow suit.

In closing, I'm still a nobody with no pull and no real clout in the grand scheme of things, but I'm the first on Nathan's speed dial when he needs to hear lullabies.

Late to the party here. Generally, I'm not a fan of pre-orders where you pays your monies up front and wait. It's a recipe for disaster. There are VERY few makers that I would trust doing this, but Nathan is one on that distinguished list. :cool: :thumbsup:

I have done several pre-orders with CPK, and they went exactly as planned each and every time. The K18 delay is a fluke, and I'm sure Nathan will still deliver.

Last edited:
Have never had a problem with all my preorders. It’s a long wait but you know that going into it. I dislike the Friday sales or any sale for that matter where 100 people (or more) are fighting over 5 of something. Unfortunately the knife world if full of that type of thing. I’ll gladly throw my money down and wait for a CPK. They’ve gained my trust and then some!

Personally, the fact that I was able to get a FK2 in a slightly different configuration than what others have was why I participated in the FK2 pre order.

I'd say the only reason I didn't give a 5 vote is because I dont like waiting for stuff. That's really not a big deal though.

All in all I'd participate again if there were options to own something a bit different than the regular offering.

Yes on pre orders. I have been 100% satisfied with pre ordering. CPK gives a realistic time frame for delivery. And you can get it the way you want it. Many of us can't make the friday feeding frenzies. And I absolutely have to get a DEK.

Big DJ Big DJ aka artist formerly known as Derrel!

The preorder will start at 5:00 PM Eastern tomorrow but it will run throughout the weekend and possibly past Monday, so you should not have any problem to order a gussied up DEK1 or more.

Also, Nathan has never limited numbers allowed during past open preorders. I think that you will be both safe on time to order and taken care of on the numbers you desire.

#stillnotnathan

Last edited:
Big DJ Big DJ aka artist formerly known as Derrel!

The preorder will start at 5:00 PM Eastern tomorrow but it will run throughout the weekend and possibly past Monday, so you should not have any problem to order a gussied up DEK1 or more.

Also, Nathan has never limited numbers allowed during past open preorders. I think that you will be both safe on time to order and taken care of on the numbers you desire.

#stillnotnathan

Nathan said in another thread that he is going to let it run for a week.

Back