Poll: How many people are in for 20" CPK Notta-Katana

Would you buy 22" CPK Notta-Katana?

• I'm in!

• I'll pass..

Results are only viewable after voting.
Ah.

Potentially older than 2 years though. I'm still using my Samsung S8 from 2017 and it has 4G (although 4G networks had only just started being rolled out in limited areas in the US at the time).
Which carrier, if you don't mind me asking? Coz the big ones have had pretty good LTE coverage way before 2017..

Last edited:
How did we go from discussing dreamy Notta Katanas to crappy cell phone carriers? Maybe start another thread for that?

Back on topic . . . can anyone explain how the 22 inch length was chosen (assuming it has been chosen)? I generally think of katanas as being at least 24 inches in length. Is the reduced size what makes it Notta Katana? I am also curious if it will have the traditional curve profile, which I have always associated with forging . . . or is it, again, Notta Katana?

Maybe there is already a thread where all of this has been discussed. If so, if someone could post a link, I'd appreciate it. TIA!

How did we go from discussing dreamy Notta Katanas to crappy cell phone carriers? Maybe start another thread for that?

Back on topic . . . can anyone explain how the 22 inch length was chosen (assuming it has been chosen)? I generally think of katanas as being at least 24 inches in length. Is the reduced size what makes it Notta Katana? I am also curious if it will have the traditional curve profile, which I have always associated with forging . . . or is it, again, Notta Katana?

Maybe there is already a thread where all of this has been discussed. If so, if someone could post a link, I'd appreciate it. TIA!
Forget everything you know about katanas, otherwise it would be isa-katana;)

Price
And lastly about price. Ive seen some people saying insanely cheap prices. but to be fair I think its price range should be from $1500 to $2000 (honestly I even would pay $2500 for it if Nathan will decide to price so).
Now why Ive said that price range. K18 pre-order was for $1200 and lately Nathan said that spare ones will be sold for $1500 (because of reasons) and I think its fair price. and Notta-Katana will have longer blade so its extra $$ and also hoping to see handguard on it and thats extra $$ for it also (like pommel on K18).

Also I guess many here dont know what other makers ask for swords in 3V (or same class steel) in same size. Roughlty $3500 or more (depents on dressing). For example Dan Keffeler or Ben Tendick. And Miller Bros ask $2200 for 16" swords in Z-Wear (imagine their price for 22" blade).
Well yeah Dan Keffeler and Ben Tendick make swords by hand without CNC machining and etc + their dressings are fancier so thats why minimal price is $3500.

Im not the one who makes decisions here especially about pricing but I honestly think that $2000 (well from $1500 to $2000) should be fair price for it. and I will be more than happy to pay for it (even right now take my moneyyy 😂).
I would not begrudge Nathan and Jo $2,000 for a really nice notakatana in D3V, but I would also be out at that price point. The spirit is willing, but the wallet is weak - same reason I haven't had Ben Tendick make me a wakizashi!

Honestly, if it's at a price point I can manage, this is one of my priority CPK acquisitions for the next year or two, and I might ask Ben Tendick if he's willing to do a remount on the blade with a cord wrap over rayskin and mekugi.

Last edited:
I would not begrudge Nathan and Jo $2,000 for a really nice notakatana in D3V, but I would also be out at that price point. The spirit is willing, but the wallet is weak.

Honestly, if it's at a price point I can manage, this is one of my priority CPK acquisitions for the next year or two, and I might ask Ben Tendick if he's willing to do a remount on the blade with a cord wrap over rayskin and mekugi.
All stated things in that post are only my opinion. Im not Nathan or Jo and Im not part of their crew, Im just random dude being around with my good and bad sides.
Only purpose of this whole thread was to show interest in numbers, to give facts to Nathan and crew, and it is still up to their decision when they will start this project, sooner or later. Also its up to them what dimensions will they give to it and for how much they will sell it.

Now about my post yo quoted and pricing. That was only my opinion about fair price for one sword (in that dimensions) made by CPK, maybe when they will start this project they will decide to sell for cheaper (like with K18) but again in my opinion their Notta-Katana will be worth of minimum 1500 (still I would say 1500 is hell of cheap for it), fair price would be around 2000 (and I will explain why) and price which I would still pay for one can be 2500. But it totally up to their decision and Im not trying to suggest selling price or something like that, I just don't have much stuff to do and decided to write my opinion based on research I've done.

Well yeah even 1500 isnt cheap for some people but hey it's Japanese style sword by CPK, pre-order only (this is not a fact also, just my opinion, like K18 was made pre-order only) this means they wont make that pattern again in future. And it's 22" piece of D3V!! I've talked with many makers recently, I've checked many maker works/prices lately and here is what I can tell you:

Dan Keffeler "I’m not taking orders because I can’t estimate delivery dates at this time. My swords are currently priced between $4600-10,000"
Ben Tendick "I’m not taking orders. Something like that is closer to $3500"
Sam (Mecha) from Madsienceforge "I do accept orders, most swords are made to order. The base price of a full-on hilted sword is around 5000." (tho he doesn't make blades from 3V and is working with Titanium, still he does some awesome blades)
These are costum makers, but also Miller Bros. Blades ask for their M-3 Wakizashi styled blade which is 16" in length $2100 and they aren't taking orders + they aren't going to make any Wakizashis or Katanas for next 6 minimum (their Wakizashis were being sold for 2500ish and Katanas for lot more)

Now I must also admit that Dan Keffeler, Ben Tendick and Mecha (Madsienceforge) are working by hand that means every their work is done/grinded or even forged (in case of Madsienceforge) by hand and CPK's are milled on CNC machines, so CNC machine makes stuff easier compared to working by hand. I don't really know how Miller Bros. Blades work (with CNC or hand) but all I can say that their works are bit overpriced if they work by CNC (tho I was told that Z-Wear PM is hard to grind, harder than 3V) but anyways Miller Bros. Blades are closer to CPK with fit and finish but still they are overpriced a bit in my honest opinion (for example their sword M-3 with 16" blade is sold for $2100).
I must also say that Dan Keffeler, Ben Tendick prices are fair considering two facts: 1)their work is done by hand and 2)fit and finish, they dress their blades in traditionalish style. They wrapped their handles in traditional japanese style with Ito (cord) and they also do inlays if required, also hand-made tsuba (handguard) and they use terotuf as saya (scabbard) wrappped with carbon fibber. That is why their blades are worth of several thousands of dollars.
Also I must stay about Mecha (Madsienceforge) despite the fact that he works with Titanium not 3V, still his blades have some nice properties and he has done collabs with Dan Keffeler and he knows how to make right geometry blades for his Titanium. Also when I've quoted him saying that his swords run around 5000 important fact there is that it is for "full-on hilted" sword, in style of Dan and Ben(that means full traditional handle with scabbard). and for simple built/dressed sword he takes less money of course (for records "Machetes at a blade length of 20” and 8” handle are usually less than 1k. They are simply way less complicated to make than a fully-hilted sword!")

Lastly I must say a word or two about Carothers Performance Knives. Nathan, Jo and crew deserve huge respect and love for their work. They make amazing blades of amazing quality in every term cheaper than other makers on the market. CPM 3V with costum special voodoo heat-treat, awesome geometry and amazing ergos with great retention sheaths and unreal edge abilities (edge holding, toughness and virtually stainless steel).
They had K-18 pre-order for $1200, it is insane in my opinion, double-edged sword with 18" blade for USD 1200 is cheap AF. Nobody will ever make same sword with same quality for same price!

Have a nice day.
Forgive me if I did anything wrong.
Stay healthy and stay sharp.
Much love and respect to whole CPK crew and people here.

I have not read anything but portions of the last post so I will not comment one way or another except on this one particular:

They make amazing blades of amazing quality in every term cheaper than other makers on the market.

The better way to express that thought would be to say "less expensive". Cheaper has the wrong connotation in this context.

I realize that English is (most likely) a second or third language and I am not taking you to task...but simply clarifying that there is nothing "cheap" about the CPK knives for anyone who might otherwise misread the intent behind your statement.

Other than that, I have no input on the topic, except to caution that it's never a good idea to speculate or suggest what the makers might or should ask for a given product. Such speculation is more appropriate in the "general" knife discussion forum, not in a forum where they, (the makers themselves), are accessible to answer questions they are willing or able to answer.

I have not read anything but portions of the last post so I will not comment one way or another except on this one particular:

The better way to express that thought would be to say "less expensive". Cheaper has the wrong connotation in this context.

I realize that English is (most likely) a second or third language and I am not taking you to task...but simply clarifying that there is nothing "cheap" about the CPK knives for anyone who might otherwise misread the intent behind your statement.

Other than that, I have no input on the topic, except to caution that it's never a good idea to speculate or suggest what the makers might or should ask for a given product. Such speculation is more appropriate in the "general" knife discussion forum, not in a forum where they, (the makers themselves), are accessible to answer questions they are willing or able to answer.
Thanks for the correction, English is my second language so sorry for "mistakes".

Also I want to say that I never tried to suggest or speculate what Nathan might or should ask for Notta-Katana. Maybe it looked so but it was my honest opinion and I've admitted this in upper post:
But it totally up to their decision and Im not trying to suggest selling price or something like that, I just don't have much stuff to do and decided to write my opinion based on research I've done.
You are totally right and that would be totally wrong from my (or anybody) side to try to influence on price. It would be not only wrong, also rude and disrespectful to Nathan and crew.
Again Im sorry if my words and actions looked that I was trying to speculate price or anything else. Not gonna speak about price anymore.

All stated things in that post are only my opinion. Im not Nathan or Jo and Im not part of their crew, Im just random dude being around with my good and bad sides.
Only purpose of this whole thread was to show interest in numbers, to give facts to Nathan and crew, and it is still up to their decision when they will start this project, sooner or later. Also its up to them what dimensions will they give to it and for how much they will sell it.

Now about my post yo quoted and pricing. That was only my opinion about fair price for one sword (in that dimensions) made by CPK, maybe when they will start this project they will decide to sell for cheaper (like with K18) but again in my opinion their Notta-Katana will be worth of minimum 1500 (still I would say 1500 is hell of cheap for it), fair price would be around 2000 (and I will explain why) and price which I would still pay for one can be 2500. But it totally up to their decision and Im not trying to suggest selling price or something like that, I just don't have much stuff to do and decided to write my opinion based on research I've done.

Well yeah even 1500 isnt cheap for some people but hey it's Japanese style sword by CPK, pre-order only (this is not a fact also, just my opinion, like K18 was made pre-order only) this means they wont make that pattern again in future. And it's 22" piece of D3V!! I've talked with many makers recently, I've checked many maker works/prices lately and here is what I can tell you:

Dan Keffeler "I’m not taking orders because I can’t estimate delivery dates at this time. My swords are currently priced between $4600-10,000"
Ben Tendick "I’m not taking orders. Something like that is closer to $3500"
Sam (Mecha) from Madsienceforge "I do accept orders, most swords are made to order. The base price of a full-on hilted sword is around 5000." (tho he doesn't make blades from 3V and is working with Titanium, still he does some awesome blades)
These are costum makers, but also Miller Bros. Blades ask for their M-3 Wakizashi styled blade which is 16" in length $2100 and they aren't taking orders + they aren't going to make any Wakizashis or Katanas for next 6 minimum (their Wakizashis were being sold for 2500ish and Katanas for lot more)

Now I must also admit that Dan Keffeler, Ben Tendick and Mecha (Madsienceforge) are working by hand that means every their work is done/grinded or even forged (in case of Madsienceforge) by hand and CPK's are milled on CNC machines, so CNC machine makes stuff easier compared to working by hand. I don't really know how Miller Bros. Blades work (with CNC or hand) but all I can say that their works are bit overpriced if they work by CNC (tho I was told that Z-Wear PM is hard to grind, harder than 3V) but anyways Miller Bros. Blades are closer to CPK with fit and finish but still they are overpriced a bit in my honest opinion (for example their sword M-3 with 16" blade is sold for $2100).
I must also say that Dan Keffeler, Ben Tendick prices are fair considering two facts: 1)their work is done by hand and 2)fit and finish, they dress their blades in traditionalish style. They wrapped their handles in traditional japanese style with Ito (cord) and they also do inlays if required, also hand-made tsuba (handguard) and they use terotuf as saya (scabbard) wrappped with carbon fibber. That is why their blades are worth of several thousands of dollars.
Also I must stay about Mecha (Madsienceforge) despite the fact that he works with Titanium not 3V, still his blades have some nice properties and he has done collabs with Dan Keffeler and he knows how to make right geometry blades for his Titanium. Also when I've quoted him saying that his swords run around 5000 important fact there is that it is for "full-on hilted" sword, in style of Dan and Ben(that means full traditional handle with scabbard). and for simple built/dressed sword he takes less money of course (for records "Machetes at a blade length of 20” and 8” handle are usually less than 1k. They are simply way less complicated to make than a fully-hilted sword!")

Lastly I must say a word or two about Carothers Performance Knives. Nathan, Jo and crew deserve huge respect and love for their work. They make amazing blades of amazing quality in every term cheaper than other makers on the market. CPM 3V with costum special voodoo heat-treat, awesome geometry and amazing ergos with great retention sheaths and unreal edge abilities (edge holding, toughness and virtually stainless steel).
They had K-18 pre-order for $1200, it is insane in my opinion, double-edged sword with 18" blade for USD 1200 is cheap AF. Nobody will ever make same sword with same quality for same price!

Have a nice day.
Forgive me if I did anything wrong.
Stay healthy and stay sharp.
Much love and respect to whole CPK crew and people here.
Oh, I don't disagree with anything you said about the price, I'm just saying that my wallet will not take a hit over about $1,500 or so, especially because CPK preorders tend to be a few days long but require full payment up front, and we don't often get enough notice for me to scramble and come up with $2,000 in discretionary money between notice that the preorder is happening and needing to pay for it.

I voted "In" just for the hypothetical reasons.

If it actually comes to fruition, and the timing and funding is right - I may actually commit to getting one. But, practicality-wise, I would be more inclined to purchase a Carothers Axe for everyday use, or pull out the K18 when those "mall-ninja" moods strike.

I've slowed down on knife purchases dramatically in the last 2 years, since I have so much overlap and redundancy with many similar knife sizes and task-specific blades. As much as I love "collecting", I am pretty fortunate to have a fairly extensive CPK collection already and don't really feel the Pokémon vibe to "Gotta catch 'em all!" anymore.

Though I do miss the intensity and endorphin release from the Friday Frenzy sales! :D
tenor.gif

I voted "In" just for the hypothetical reasons.

If it actually comes to fruition, and the timing and funding is right - I may actually commit to getting one. But, practicality-wise, I would be more inclined to purchase a Carothers Axe for everyday use, or pull out the K18 when those "mall-ninja" moods strike.

I've slowed down on knife purchases dramatically in the last 2 years, since I have so much overlap and redundancy with many similar knife sizes and task-specific blades. As much as I love "collecting", I am pretty fortunate to have a fairly extensive CPK collection already and don't really feel the Pokémon vibe to "Gotta catch 'em all!" anymore.

Though I do miss the intensity and endorphin release from the Friday Frenzy sales! :D
tenor.gif
Nice gif lol
I was like that right now with DEK1 fun friday sale :D it was my first try for something like that, could have done better but im tired its 1 am here and got confused or cant describe what happened after typing couldnt quickly post.... but still was 3rd tho there wherent many participants i see...
It was good practice for me, hoping to see K18 one day and score one..
As about Swords and collecting I can tell you next Im not the type of must collect all knives/swords guy. I usually let some blades which I dont use go, sell or gift to friends of mine. I usually stick with knives which I use.. and CPKs.. thats whole different story lol :D I love their blades because Nathans D3V is something very special and rare.. also functional.. Toughness, edge retention and stainless (practically stainless D3V) is dream blade for me and every their model I own or have owned had everything what I wanted, there was only one time when I let my CPK go (actually 2 but second doesnt count as I purchased FK2 again after week or so..) CPK EDC2 was amazing blade and I regret selling it... it was amazing to handle it quickly replaced my PM2 in M390 and Microtech Combat Troodon. FK2 is amazing all around knife but whom Im explaining all this :D you guys know a lot more about CPKs more than I do... I just cant keep words in my mouth not to appreciate CPKs.. and lastly my HDMC is hell of a chopper best one is that dimensions as user for my needs..
Well I wanna get my hands on K18 badly it will be amazing blade for sure and will be with me during every trip for sure.. but as we are talking about Notta-Katana I will come back to topic and stay that even if I will get my hands on K18 I will get Notta-Katana also because it's simply Katana style blade made from CPK and I love japanese style swords a lot.. + I've already explained in my previous posts how it can serve me, I what I will do with it (sorry cant explain normally on English.. tired, sleepy and language barrier)...

Back