Poll: If we were to commission a sub-forum custom axe design, what type should it be?

What type of axe would you prefer to have designed?

• Full-size Single-bit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Full-size Double-bit

• Boy's Axe

• Cruiser

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Hatchet

• Total voters

daizee

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Imagine we were to agree on an unusual or optimized axe design to be commissioned for a group sub-forum buy. Price would be in the range of USA-forged axes. (See Traditionals sub-forum for examples of the concept.)

Describe your preference and why. Drawings appreciated.

I've made this a one-type-only poll to try to determine a clear preference, but that shouldn't limit discussion. There is currently a lively discussion going here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1480190-designing-our-own-pattern

Let's assume that this is a viable proposition for the moment, and stick to designs instead of veering off into production economics.

Last edited:
I voted "hatchet" based on my potential usage for hiking, camping, etc. where I would not be lugging a full size axe with me. The one additional feature would be a hammer poll similar to a tomahawk (not just a standard flat head), but mated to the larger hatchet cutting edge. I think it would make for a great packing tool.

I voted full size single bit. I would be interested in something tuned up primarily to buck softwood.

hatchet weight head with hardened poll. slightly longer than hatchet length handle.

I will propose an axe it has been rounding my mind for a long time. It's good for the people who looks for an axe for both, hard or soft wood, and it will be a completely new type of axe. I'm proposing to build a 4lbs double bit Michigan pattern with tapered eye, with two different angles (one bit of 16 degrees the other of 19 degrees) in 4340 steel (C 0.43%) at 55 HRC. There will be different sizes of handles depending the needs of each one, it can be changed in seconds, there will be zero handle tightening and loosing problems, the handles will be cheaper and stronger and you wont lose any time and effort with wedges.

It's basically taking the best features of new and old axes and putting them in our axe.

I'd go for an H-bay design, but as that's not on the menu, hatchet is my vote.

Zieg

I voted boys axe but actually I would like a lighter head about 1 1/2 lbs. on a 22 inch handle. A Hudson bay type but with less drop at the heel than the typical Collins or Collins copies Hudson Bays. Hatchet would be choice #2.

I voted hatchet because I want a bearded one, maybe slip-fit. There are some available, but mostly heavier than I want. I also want a shepherd's axe without ordering one from eastern Europe, or doing all the work myself. :D

The reason I left off Hudson Bays and tomahawks is that they are pretty well covered by current quality production lines in the US, though if there are design variations you'd like to have considered, please share: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1480190-designing-our-own-pattern/page4

As for size-to-handle ratios, perhaps we consider the head/eye and then users can put whatever handle they want on it, or maybe there would be options at ordering time (10x BFC-2017 axe heads, 3 on 32" hafts, 7 on 28" hafts) etc. Just speculating. I do like a light head on a boy's axe handle.

This question is flawed. Double bit axes have no poll, therefore two of those choices should not be included.

This question is flawed. Double bit axes have no poll, therefore two of those choices should not be included.

Unfortunately it's not possible to make a poll-free survey on this forum. :D

I didn't vote, because I am not a regular participant on this sub-forum, but I will be following this concept. I enjoy good working axes. Out of the options listed, a double-bit would be my favorite, but I already have a my double-bit felling axe. Out of the rest of the options, a full size single-bit would be next for me.

But what I really dream of is a nice pulaski.

The pattern, geometry and type of axe is so dependent on what people individual needs and preferences that it will be difficult to find consensus.

I'd be interested in an axe of any kind that uses an optimized steel and heat treat, something that offers a clear advantage over the steel used in vintage heads. And I'd like to see that advantage demonstrated.

I voted hatchet with a decent size face and head to hammer with. Perhaps 1.5-1.7 lb.. With a 17" handle for decent leverage. Of 1060 steel at 57 rc. DM

No Tassie pattern?

Then I don't care.

This isn't patterns; it's configurations. A Tasmanian would be a single bit full-sized axe. :)

For my own purposes I voted for a boy's axe, as I find them quite versatile, but would go for a light full-sized as well. I generally find 28" to 34" handles best for my uses.

Back