[POLL] What add-ons did you order with your DEK? Select Select all that apply.

What add-ons did you order with your DEK? Select all that apply.

• Penetrator tip

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Swedge

Votes: 29 51.8%
  • Acid wash

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Satin grind

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • AEBL

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Blue fasteners

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • None of the above

Votes: 17 30.4%

• Total voters
I'm sure we do. Not often but occasionally. Whenever Uncle Matty orders a knife we always try to find something pretty hideous for him. He's special, got to make him feel loved. I've got an old piece of IKEA desk press board we salvaged from a trailer park tornado for him. You can still smell the despair in it
Mati deserves the darkest, stankest, cat urine soaked particle-board you can find!

Yeah, but if we don't know what the mystery wood looks like then we don't know if it would look better with the fasteners blued or not. Or even if the acid wash would look better. We might wind up with a knife that looks mismatched if we guess wrong...

Probably something like this

xC9MY7s.jpg

After holding some knives up to my American Red Oak shelves on my electronics bench, it probably wouldn't make very good knife scales and handles since it has pretty wide spaced grains. It makes some pretty shelves though.

Last edited:
After holding some knives up to my American Red Oak shelves on my electronics bench, it probably wouldn't make very good knife scales and handles since it has pretty wide spaced grains. It makes some pretty shelves though.
Coincidentally, I just made my wife some book shelves in red oak, mostly as a ploy so I could use her marble board to flatten a couple pieces of African Blackwood.
I don't think the red oak is a good choice for scales.
If you look on the Bell Forest products site, you can list all species. They have pictures and data for each type of wood. You will see for example that African Blackwood is about twice the density, and triple the hardness of red oak.
Some things you can't gather from the data however. I bought a piece of purple heart and in addition to fading to a boring brown color, it doesn't take nearly as nice a finish as African Blackwood or Kingwood.

I went for the mystery wood for one of my orders. I didn’t choose the titanium option for both my order as the other is ECAM handle. I prefer the darker look of the oxidized fasteners on brown color handle (assuming the mystery wood is gonna be brown).

If the mystery wood is gonna be brown, my first choice will be brass fasteners. IMO brass fastener goes best with brown wood handle. I hope this can be an option if we are getting brown color wooden handle ;)

The only addon I went with was the swedge. Though I'm not entirely sure how the DEK1 will look with a swedge, I usually like the aesthetics of one when executed well - something I'm entirely confident will happen.

I contemplated going for the wood option as I'm usually a fan of wood - it speaks to my traditional tastes. However, I've been very happy with the Micarta on my CPKs and the cost increase with adding wood was a bit hard for me to justify.

I will definitely be looking forward to seeing what sort of stabilized dry rot gets made up for those who chose accordingly... :D

Coincidentally, I just made my wife some book shelves in red oak, mostly as a ploy so I could use her marble board to flatten a couple pieces of African Blackwood.
I don't think the red oak is a good choice for scales.
If you look on the Bell Forest products site, you can list all species. They have pictures and data for each type of wood. You will see for example that African Blackwood is about twice the density, and triple the hardness of red oak.
Some things you can't gather from the data however. I bought a piece of purple heart and in addition to fading to a boring brown color, it doesn't take nearly as nice a finish as African Blackwood or Kingwood.

The American Red Oak was expensive several years ago when I bought my two 1X12 boards. It is hard to imagine wood being 3 times harder than Red Oak - it is pretty hard. It is beautiful wood. I put three coats of clear lacquer on mine.

I've decided to try and get two of each model I like for collecting, in D3V and ECAM and D3V and tri-color rag. Before the preorder, I didn't think we'd get ECAM for the DEK1, so I got a standard D3V DEK1 with ECAM. Already have a D3V with tri-color rag.

I, uh, also have a user in D3V and buffed natural, and an AEB-L user in buffed black and green linen.

And... um, I may have sprung whole-hog for an AEB-L grail DEK1 with a satin finish, swedge, and fugly wood.

<3 <3 <3

You can write the word "wood" on the plain ol' handles using your Sharpie and I'd still lurve you the same as always.

CPK is special and I feel great being part of something very special because I too am special :D

That's hilarious! Do you remember some time ago there was a big to-do on the forums about a truly audacious scammer who sent a guy a rock on which he had written "Sebenza 21"?

Back