Poll: will Cappaqua1's new katanas be fake or real?

Will Cappaqua1's new katanas be fake or real?

• Total voters

Mecha

Titanium Bladesmith
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
New Bladeforums member @Cappaqua1 is the latest to ask the eternal question: is this katana real or fake? And to up the ante, he has two new katanas, both in need of a final answer to ...the question.

Furthermore, Cappaqua1 informs us that, to his eye, "These swords are a work of art. I’m beginning to appreciate the craftsmanship and history."

https://bladeforums.com/threads/no-fish-story-two-swords-in-3-days.1692658/

Ladies and gentlemen, talk about increasing the tension! He could have his delusions blown to bits like the Hindenburg, or his ego inflated until it bursts like, uh, the Hindenburg!

Japanese sword knower-of-things NihontoEd NihontoEd is on the case, ready to give the swords the approving raised eyebrows and slow nod of Authentic Nihonto, or the shameful furrowed brows and terse head-shake of Fake Katana.

We can count on SouthernComfort to give a straight-shootin' assessment of the swords that only @Kohai999 could rival.

What do you think, fellow sword enthusiasts and esteemed Bladeforums members? Will Cappaqua1's katanas be facepalm-fake wannabes? Or will they be interesting and beautiful examples of Japanese sword work? o_O

Cast your best guess in the poll! :eek:

According to the poll results so far it looks as though......wait for it......Mecha is a Troll! rofl.gif

Seriously though, are you guys ready for the results or do you want to give the poll a bit longer??

According to the poll results so far it looks as though......wait for it......Mecha is a Troll! View attachment 1223198

Seriously though, are you guys ready for the results or do you want to give the poll a bit longer??

Ohhhhh snap, the results are in already! :eek: Let's just give it a little bit longer for the last few poll prediction entries!

One of the toughest polls I ever answered. I really like turtles, Mecha is a turtle troll, and that craftsmanship has to be that long lost cultural treasure.

According to the poll results so far it looks as though......wait for it......Mecha is a Troll! View attachment 1223198

All right! What say ye, SouthernComfort? Are the results in?

Yes, I have looked at the swords in question. Let me address the choices in the poll first.
We can exclude turtles all around.
Sadly neither of them was the Honjo Masamune (shocker).
Is Mecha a troll? I am afraid the jury is still out. :confused:

Let me say that the OP is not a troll, in fact he was a very nice gentleman. His only fault was in making the mistake that so many before him have made, mistaking a Chinese fake as a Japanese sword.

However, it was only one out of two, so not a total loss.
One was unfortunately a blatant rat-tailed tang Chitana.

The other is a Koa Isshin Mantetsu, dated 1943. A legitimate Gunto.
The odd thing was that the Mantetsu was mounted in reproduction Chinese mounts much like the Chitana.
The blade is in overall poor condition, and though it is not a traditionally made Japanese sword, it is a Japanese made sword.

So again, while not a substantial find, not a total loss.

Yes, I have looked at the swords in question. Let me address the choices in the poll first.
We can exclude turtles all around.
Sadly neither of them was the Honjo Masamune (shocker).
Is Mecha a troll? I am afraid the jury is still out. :confused:

Let me say that the OP is not a troll, in fact he was a very nice gentleman. His only fault was in making the mistake that so many before him have made, mistaking a Chinese fake as a Japanese sword.

However, it was only one out of two, so not a total loss.
One was unfortunately a blatant rat-tailed tang Chitana.

The other is a Koa Isshin Mantetsu, dated 1943. A legitimate Gunto.
The odd thing was that the Mantetsu was mounted in reproduction Chinese mounts much like the Chitana.
The blade is in overall poor condition, and though it is not a traditionally made Japanese sword, it is a Japanese made sword.

So again, while not a substantial find, not a total loss.

Very cool to find a gunto in the pair. Regardless of the outcome of the katana question, Cappaqua1 has now been bitten by the bug and has the whole world of Japanese swords and blades, the history, art and science behind it all, open and ready to explore.

Back