Polypropylene tomahawk handle?

So i own multiple tomahawks. While i love the full tang tomahawks you can't beat the classic design of a tomahawk. I was wondering if it would be possible..or even practical to build a tomahawk handle out of polypropylene or a similar high strength plastic. Because while hickory handles are strong they can break, while polypropylene is almost impossible to break. Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

It'll be heavy and flexible. What works better is poly-jacketed fiberglass; a fiberglass core for rigidity with a poly jacket for comfort and impact protection. A few European companies do this already with axes and hatchets that use slip-fit eyes like tomahawks do.

rinaldi-carpenter-s-hawk-synthetic-handle-3.gif

It has been done by a few different companies. In my opinion, polypropylene has too much flex to be ideal. I'd lean more to Delrin, nylon (possibly fiberglass-reinforced), or ABS (I've made trainers out of it that have handles a lot of impact stress).

The Lagana V-Tac had a polypro handle and its tough tough. It does have a bit of flex though

Thats why it's used as a composite, with the fibreglas within it.

Other candidates would be PEEK and HDPE, but there are way more then that, especially in composites. And with Delrin you actually MOP? Since Delrin's just the name Dupont gave it.

Delrin's just the brand/trade name of acetal. The biggest issue with most polymers is they're heavier and less rigid than wood is, so they tend to be floppy. And the casting process has to be decent because any bubbles on the interior introduces severe weakness.

As to your question.
“Would it be practical?”

I think you will have to have a machinist turn the handle for you on a lathe. My experience with most durable plastics is they can’t be easily shaped with your basic woodworking hand tools.
That said if your in the Seattle area I can give a pice of Acetal (delrin) to try out.

The American Tomahawk Company LaGana V-Tacs used nylon 6/6, nylon reinforced with glass fibers in the mix, but not a fiberglass core coated with nylon. I believe older versions used acetyl (the Delrin I mentioned).

My experience working with these plastics is limited, but has been focused on handle experiments. Nylon, acetyl, and ABS all will shape with table saws and wood router bits, as well as a belt grinder. You may not have a slick finish when you're through like you would get with injection molding, but I think any of those would be an option worth investigating for a tactical 'hawk handle.

I don't think polypropylene is the best choice. In my opinion, something with a higher strength/weight ratio, or something more dense, with less inherent flexibility than polypropylene, would be more suitable options.. POM, or possibly some variety of FGRP, would get my nod, and that's mostly for impact resistance. If you use a hawk, you will miss a swing now and then.

That said, I'm content to stay with hickory, or walnut in a pinch.

I grew up swinging a maul on a fiberglass core polypropylene shell handle.

Worked fine!!

Now, it was pretty darned ridgid because of the large fiberglass rod down the core.

Definitely handled overstrikes better than hickory handles.

My hawk handles are all Hickory.

Back