• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Poor attitude and insults from Tora blades owner/worker Simon hengle

I agree with Dirtbiker, the hit piece videos are rediculous. Wasn't it the company they represent that "borrowed" the Havildar model from Tora and copied and pasted their product description, including Tora's name! They also "borrowed" a few HI models.

They seem to state in the video that the old Nepalese Kami caused wrist and elbow injuries for the last two centuries by producing Kukri that are too light.

They also state that KHHI (and their 3 other aliases) are "the" Khukuri House that produces good Kukri and provide the Service No. 1 to the military. They then claim that the other 4 or 5 Khukuri Houses (and their 16-20 aliases) are not producing good Kukri and by default must be lying about producing Kukri for the military. I wonder how these other Khukuri Houses feel about their claims?

Like Dirtbiker said, I have no horse in this race but these videos are completely rediculous and devoid of facts or reason. Absolutely no reason to reserect this thread other than one more skirmish in a private war that spans years and a half a dozen forums. The Internet is littered with "locked icons" where these threads get out of control.

In a way it probably adds to the mystique for some people. I mean they must be great if the guy is a jerk, the wait is long and people still buy them right?

That was a lot of effort on their part for two really small time guys. Simon I will agree is a dick but sweet is just a dude doing knife reviews in his backyard. These two talk like Simon and Sweet are are completely dismantling their business.

I have no care or respect for Simon or Sweet but these two in the video need to lighten up a bit.

Very well said.

Also - wasn't a young Australian lad (associated with KHHI) at some time trolling the HI forum and banned or at least heavily scolded and told he's going towards that direction (by Karda)? I'm not claiming it was the young person in the video, nor am I going to search the archives to find out, but I remember this incident and that same person going to Nepal to visit KHHI and designing the "modern kukri" mentioned in the video.

Last edited:
In a way it probably adds to the mystique for some people. I mean they must be great if the guy is a jerk, the wait is long and people still buy them right?

Some may buy them because of past reviews. (And I think this is true regarding other manufacturers as well. As a latecomer, I am forced to believe that the overall quality of some manufacturers is no longer what it used to be, if the old reviews are to be believed and I have no reason to doubt them. Pretty much, the only good experience I had with traditional manufacturers was the customer support which did the right thing by me in the end, so I will give them props there. I don't know what it would take for me to take another "leap of faith" with a traditionally handmade kukri. If I were in USA, it would be easier to sort through them.)

FWIW, I didn't own any Tora ever.

Last edited:
I am just trying to find out where the eff these guys are? London? UK? Nepal? Kathmandu? I wrote them several times to no avail. Their country or real address is not on their site. I"m not paying money to anyone that I don't know a real address. Anyone?

CuteStat, a UK-based rating site, says TORA in in the London area and its site has a dauily income of $.15 and a value of $8.95.

TORA drop ship directly from Nepal, so no QC inspection by Western management before delivery.

This recent post is rediculous. This is a thread from 2014 and the target of this persons post (Simon) isn't on this forum. He complains about martial arts and the fact that the owner of a business resides in a different location from where the product is made, as if Apples CEO walks to work each day to a factory in Asia!

This is a rambling profanity laced childish personal attack on an individual, which I believe is still against the forum rules and it shouldn't be tolerated or his views given a seconds consideration.

Back