Poor outlook for Canadian knife enthusiasts

Lap, the wording of the decision that just came down specifically declares any knife that can be flipped, even if assisted with a tab, stud or hole to be an automatic in the eyes of CBSA. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/cn-ad/cn18-01-eng.html
This was hinted at for the last couple years, but now we have a definitive answer. The fact that they are not classing them as gravity knives, but automatics makes it harder to push against, and is based on design rather than action.

As far as bali's getting through, they can't check every package, and there is always the chance you get someone who is just trying to make quota or something like that. Just because it didn't get caught doesn't make it legal.

You are overreacting and misinterpreting the Law.

What is prohibited:

1) Gravity knives, automatic, or centrifugal knives,
The Benchmade Axis lock may fall into this category

2) Gravity knives, automatic, or centrifugal knives including those assisted in opening by flipping action

3) Gravity knives, automatic, or centrifugal knives whose blades can be open with a flick of the wrist

4) Knives that can be open by or assisted by a flipping or flicking system not part of the blade

What is not prohibited:

1) Knives that open with a flipping action from the blade part of the knife
Have you read the decision? It redefines auto as any knife that can be opened with any combo of force and manipulation with one hand.

You are overreacting and misinterpreting the Law....
What is not prohibited:
1) Knives that open with a flipping action from the blade part of the knife

the CBSA resolves that centrifugal knives will be classified as prohibited weapons if the following conditions are met:
b. it includes knives that require some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade.

Hopefully a Canadian member here can clarify my assumptions. On certain levels, this importation law sounds focused on overseas suppliers like "GearBest." With the Canadian exchange rate to the USD, lots of money is flowing east/west not south.

It's been a number of years since I shipped a folder up into Canada. There was paperwork and a declaration required. A proper level of insurance was always a good idea since import issues were a factor. That was over five years ago.

So no more Buck Vantage's in the isles of Canadian Pyre?
Hypothetical situation; Say somebody in the U.S. buys a North Arm Skaha Folding Knife and it ends up needing warranty work. The company wouldn't be allowed to receive it to do the work?

Hypothetical situation; Say somebody in the U.S. buys a North Arm Skaha Folding Knife and it ends up needing warranty work. The company wouldn't be allowed to receive it to do the work?

Great point. North Arms' website has the Skaha listed as "this item cannot be purchased at the moment". Makes me wonder if this new legislation applies to both import and export. The OPs link clearly states "importation".

http://www.citt-tcce.gc.ca/en/node/8176

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks to me like they based this decision off of the blade being slightly ajar. Point 2.

Whether the Goods in Issue Open Automatically by Centrifugal Force
  1. The Tribunal closely examined and tested the goods in issue at the file hearing of this matter. This included reviewing their packaging material and instructions, as well as opening and closing the knives repeatedly. When fully closed, the knives have a tendency to stay closed and do not open automatically with a mere flick of the wrist. However, they do open automatically when a flick of the wrist is accompanied with minimal manipulation by the thumb of either the flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade, such as the nail nick, to overcome the initial resistance. In fact, the instructions include directions on opening the blade without using the flipper, requiring only that the user “push gently outwards on the thumbstud”, referring to a part of the blade directly under the thumb when held in the closed position.[27]
  2. Once the blade is barely ajar, it easily, swiftly and readily swings into a fully opened and locked position with a simple, “slight flip of the wrist” as the instructions themselves confirm.[28] All of this can be accomplished in one simultaneous, single-handed movement with the wrist, thumb and forefinger.
  3. The Tribunal has ruled in prior cases that a knife may still open automatically by centrifugal force even if it requires some preliminary or simultaneous manipulation of a flipper or part of the blade.[29] In recent cases, it has also ruled that a knife may be a prohibited weapon if the flipper works in combination with a device, such as a torsion bar, to enable the knife to open automatically.[30] As found above, there is no such device (in the form of caged ball bearings) in these knives. However, the Tribunal has never ruled, and subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code does not provide, that a knife only opens automatically by centrifugal force when no manipulation is required of any part of the knife. The swiftness and ease with which the goods in issue open is in no way inferior to that of other knives that do not start in a locked position. The Tribunal does not believe that Parliament would have intended, or that the text of the statute commands, that the former be treated any differently than the latter.

I can just picture the tribunal members sitting around their huge table flipping all these knives and gasping at the horrors that will befall the unsuspecting Canadian population!:eek:
Sad.

Looks like front flippers will become popular, until they figure out how fip them open.

I can centrifugally shake nearly any folding knife into engagehhment. This means virtually any knife could be confiscated depending on the agent’s ability.

Canada NEEDS a group like KNIFERIGHTS.org

Time for someone to start a kickstarter, we need a lawyer. Can it be done? CDNKNIFERIGHTS.org?

When will this madness stop! Fixed blades are the fastest opening folders of all.

Maybe someone should contact the media about how they will turn canadians into paper criminals? If I imported a knife and they deem illegal is confiscation the final recourse? Or are they gunna start going after my local knife store owners?

Last edited:
I can just picture the tribunal members sitting around their huge table flipping all these knives and gasping at the horrors that will befall the unsuspecting Canadian population!:eek:
Sad.

Especially with a knife that is broken in the middle..Hope they don't find out about them dangerous fixed blades.

Especially with a knife that is broken in the middle..Hope they don't find out about them dangerous fixed blades.
I'm considering switching to a fixed blade! Reason for carrying? Can't seem to get a clip carry modern folder.:mad::thumbsdown:

This does sound like a NYC take of gravity knives being written into their importation laws. I am curious how this will impact Canadian knife exports as well as Canadian knife warranty services.

To my Canadian bretherin, while not a perfect solution:

When ordering knives that have to cross the border ask the sender to tighten down the pivot so that way the blade can barely move. That way the blade cannot be flicked open.

Some knives such as some on bearings even if you tighten down the pivot the blade is still free enough that it can be flicked. Ask who is sending the knife to you to check if the knife can still be flicked with the pivot fully tightened. In this case ask them to take the blade out of the knife and ship it in with the rest of the knife (tell them to put tape over the edge)

Finally when they write the declaration of what the item is put “camping gear” instead of “knives”
You beat me to it. I was just reading you post and said to myself that it sounds like something you told me to do. Then I looked and saw your name.

I wouldn't even bother with the tightening pivot I would just remove the blade everytime.

Maybe it is going to come down to that.

Maybe we should talk to canadian knifemakers who’s warranty process and thus livelyhoods will be threatened by this. Form some type of coalition?

Back