Poor outlook for Canadian knife enthusiasts

You are overreacting and misinterpreting the Law.

What is prohibited:

1) Gravity knives, automatic, or centrifugal knives,
The Benchmade Axis lock may fall into this category

2) Gravity knives, automatic, or centrifugal knives including those assisted in opening by flipping action

3) Gravity knives, automatic, or centrifugal knives whose blades can be open with a flick of the wrist

4) Knives that can be open by or assisted by a flipping or flicking system not part of the blade

What is not prohibited:

1) Knives that open with a flipping action from the blade part of the knife

Give them an inch they'll take a mile. In the case that they’re unsure on the legality of said “flick knife” they’ll just confiscate it anyway.

Rarely do I find it suitable to give people in this sector the benefit of the doubt. I feel the general frustrated reaction is justified.

Oh, the dangers of a little flipping folder!
Good thing i EDC a 12 inch combat knife, wouldn't wanna carry anything dangerous or illegal!

having not been aware of this ruling until last night when it was too late, i goofed everything up by impulsively ordering a massive, centrifugal, automatic prohibited gravity weapon from a well known dealer located in mesa AZ on sunday night. (one of them skinny XM-24's for those curious).

it got picked up in AZ at 4:36 pm monday, arrived at the international shipment release at vancouver airport at 8:17 this morning (tuesday), and was at the fedex facility in burnaby at 9:36 am... given it's a 30 to 45 min drive from YVR to north burnaby traffic depending, i estimate that it got held up in customs for all of 35 to 50 mins.

flips like a champ right out the box! no pivot loosening or assembly required

This ruling is ridiculous. These clowns waste my tax dollars sitting around and coming up with these "ideas". So frustrating.

They have an impossible mission statement, so they have to get a win wherever they can. No one looks hard a how they get the stats, just that they do, so if the bubble has to get bigger so they can stop more weapons, then they will. I'm sure the CBSA has some very competent officers that work there, but its just too big of a job, and the upper-office doesn't care about being effective, they care about looking good.

Our (Canadian) government and bureaucracy so screwed up, I don't think they could un-eff themselves even if that's all they tried to do for the next 20 months.

I guess from now on its a multi-hour drive to the US so I can disassemble my knives and ship them in separate packages (blade in one, handle in the other). They can't flip a blade by itself, or know what kind of handle it's going into; although I wouldn't put it past those inflamed orifices in charge of the CBSA - they'll probably still try to do it.

That sucks, but maybe some mistakenly thinking they're illegal will boost the sales for these

The these are an awesome knife that's far less common than it should be, and maybe this could inadvertently boost their sales.

What knife is this and where can I get one? It looks like a Grohmann knife. I've always wanted one. I live in Alberta so shipping within the country shouldn't be too big of an issue for these I imagine.

What knife is this and where can I get one? It looks like a Grohmann knife. I've always wanted one. I live in Alberta so shipping within the country shouldn't be too big of an issue for these I imagine.
It's a Grohmann R340S mini Russel lockback.
This was a gift from a forum member so I don't know where to get one besides the Grohmann website.
You'll just have to search Canadian retailers who offer it.

This is one of the most comfortable folding knives I've ever held, at least as far as knives that are contoured for grip ( meaning not straight and neutral ) because my hands are very particular about ergonomics and normally prefer a very neutral handle without much contouring.

I've handed this knife to 5 or 6 different people so far, and their instant reaction was " WOW " .they need not say more because their tone and look on their face says it all.
It's just perfectly designed to fit the hand so universally, and it instantly connects when you hold it.

It's a Grohmann R340S mini Russel lockback.
This was a gift from a forum member so I don't know where to get one besides the Grohmann website.
You'll just have to search Canadian retailers who offer it.

This is one of the most comfortable folding knives I've ever held, at least as far as knives that are contoured for grip ( meaning not straight and neutral ) because my hands are very particular about ergonomics and normally prefer a very neutral handle without much contouring.

I've handed this knife to 5 or 6 different people so far, and their instant reaction was " WOW " .they need not say more because their tone and look on their face says it all.
It's just perfectly designed to fit the hand so universally, and it instantly connects when you hold it.
Thank you for responding! Ive always wanted a Grohmann. This is all the more reason to get one.

2. In accordance with subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code and the CITT's recent decision in T. LaPlante, the CBSA resolves that centrifugal knives will be classified as prohibited weapons if the following conditions are met:

1. a knife has a blade that opens by centrifugal force, when the blade is released from the handle into the fully ejected and locked position with a simple and brisk outwardly flick of the wrist; and
  2. it includes knives that require some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade.

Thank you for responding! Ive always wanted a Grohmann. This is all the more reason to get one.
I don't think you'll regret it.

For what it's worth their website says the stainless they use is German 4110 with a 56-58rc, I've never heard of it but liked the performance of my knife.
Seems harder than a standard 440a, and at least on par with Bucks 420hc.
I had no clue what the steel was until just looking it up, but I knew I was happy with whatever it was.

If I'm happy with how a knife performs then Its all good, I don't care what the steel is.

Last edited:
As of now it would appear that despite the verdict, there will be no serious impact to policy change as it says that the decision has no regulatory impact. Unless I am misunderstanding something, that may mean it isn't actually as bad as it seems. https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/cn-ad/menu-eng.html

Which article is it on that page you linked. There are like a hundred articles on the link you provided.

There have been so many times now I have seen declarations like this on here and then it turns out there is no change.

Which article is it on that page you linked. There are like a hundred articles on the link you provided.

There have been so many times now I have seen declarations like this on here and then it turns out there is no change.
The one about which I'm talking is 18.01
It's the one regarding centrifugal knives.

I put this in another thread and thought it would do well here:

I very strongly recommend getting in touch with your MP and sending a complaint email to the CBSA and those governing bodies.

If we let them know that we are unhappy, and make a logical point about how these new changes are a problem, we may be able to make a positive difference.

When in doubt, use the (reasonable) torch and pitchfork method.
It seems to be the only thing the government understands.

Back