Poor Quality Control

I know, I know, it's just one knife and no one is perfect. But right outta the box, this off centre?

I have $10 knives that are balls on perfect.

I have 13 Spyderco but now that I have to spend $20 extra (on a $80 Delica) to mail it in and wait two months due to postal disruptions, I'm taking my friends advice and looking at WE next.

https://i.imgur.com/BLngucC.jpg

Sheesh, you guys are hard to please. Both my PM 2 and Para 3 aren't perfectly centered and I couldn't care less. As long as they work fine and not hit the liners, it's golden. Really, take a deep breath and center it yourself.

As far as centering blades myself, I have several BM's so I've done a few. Now just have to go at my ZT that is a micro-millimeter toward the clip side...GAAAHHH!

Japanese Spydercos have long had QC issues - see: Nick Shabazz's channel. I'm not certain they even consider off-center as a QC issue, as long as it's not rubbing.

You should be able to adjust it yourself. Or, see if the store will replace it for you and cover your return shipping.

Reactions: DMG
Should be very easy to adjust as the scales are more flex. No need to ship it to Spyderco.

That really isn’t bad...I would be annoyed at a Drunken or Paysan that came that way but not a VG10 Delica.

Thanks
Hi Brando,

Sorry for your disappointment. If it's problem for you, might be best to send it to Spyderco. We can replacde it and probably make sure it doesn't get back into the market.

sal

Thanks, it’s on the way from Windsor Canada. You’ll see it in a month, but I realize times are tough and this is a “first world problem”.

I hope everyone on here is coping well and staying safe!

I’m glad Sal reached out with a solution for you.

However, here’s my view as a quality engineer: The blade being off center as seen in the image you provided may not be considered a defect at all. It all depends on what is specified in the assembly drawings for the product.

One way to avoid this in the future is when you order online, order from a reputable dealer, and request that they check to make sure the knife is free from certain pre-listed defects that you don’t want. That’s why I always order over the phone. No one I’ve dealt with has ever had a problem with that, and if they do, take your business elsewhere. Using this strategy, so far I’ve never gotten a Spyderco, Seki-made or otherwise, with any QC issues.

I won’t name the dealers I order from (which would probably be inappropriate), but they are very well-known on the forums. Ordering over the phone might not be a 100% guarantee it’ll be perfect to your specs, but it sure beats blind ordering with a keyboard, and could possibly save time time and hassle.

Jim

Last edited:
Once again Spyderco and Sal have shown to operate a top notch company.

Endura/Endela/Delica models will have a varying degree of tolerance in blade centering. It’s normal and really not an issue.

They are excellent EDC knives, and once people put them to work, find out quickly that a lot of thought was put into the design.

IMO uncentered but not touching the scale is an annoyance, not a defect. Off center and binding on the scale or bent while locked open is a big deal and is unacceptable to me. My Para3 LW is so off center it's nearly touching, but it does work. I hear a lot of them are like that. I would love it to be centered but I won't let it bother me.

It's really good of the company to take care of your issue.

Last edited:
That wouldn’t bother me on a delica or endura. As long as it isn’t touching it’s good to stick in your pocket and actually use.

Centering doesn't bother me all that much as well, but there are some companies making knives overseas that nail the fit and finish every time. The delica is from the Seki City factory, which is kind of known for having poor QC. Although it is not a functional problem of the knife, I wish Spyderco would step it up in that sense. A slightly off-centered blade is a little frustrating, but it is in no way a defect.

Spyderco quality and performance should not be underestimated.

This ZDP 189 Stretch is one of my all time favorite Spydies.

Well worth the cost.
58E98694-6391-4605-B383-815926147D3B.jpeg

Back