Portable Sharpening Recommendations

Looking for a sharpening system that is portable enough to throw in a pouch on my plate carrier or pack.

Needs to be: light weight and able to sharpen blades of varying sizes (larger Busse’s to smaller pocket knives to multi-tools)

Any recommendations?

+ 1 for the worksharp field sharpener!

I’ve used it on 1095 , s35vn , Elmax , INFI , sr101 , D2 and sleipner .. 3 to 12 inch blades , with success.

Last edited:
Maybe I’m too “old school”, but I think that the best sharpening system are still my hands. ;) I’ve been using DMT butterfly blue/red sharpener for 10 years and it works just perfect. :thumbsup:

So I just started using the "Block" sharpener. Block is the guy that makes it and not the shape. I had been looking for something a long time like a field version of the knife honing steels I use in the kitchen. Especially with infi, I rarely need to actually take metal off. Usually it's just a touch up or to straiten something. I was using small ceramic or diamond rods, but I think this thing is really good for me. I tend to steel my knives a lot, but rarely sharpen them.

So I just started using the "Block" sharpener. Block is the guy that makes it and not the shape. I had been looking for something a long time like a field version of the knife honing steels I use in the kitchen. Especially with infi, I rarely need to actually take metal off. Usually it's just a touch up or to straiten something. I was using small ceramic or diamond rods, but I think this thing is really good for me. I tend to steel my knives a lot, but rarely sharpen them.

Have you used this sharpener on any Busses yet? If so which ones? It seems like a great idea and may work but I’ve had some thicker Zero Tolerance pocket knives I’ve scratched before with similar Products due to the thicker blade stock.

One of the main draws to me about INFI, especially in the ca. 2000-2008 run of models, is the way the INFI reacts to ceramic rods and loaded strops.

It works like a nice mild tool steel. I LOVE THE STUFF-- we all do, RIGHT? :D

I think about the advice Jerry offers for maintaining the asymmetrical edge models...basically, just a ceramic rod and a strop.

Frosted top edge of my truck window and the backside of my belt has worked for me in the past when pressed into duty on my B8-- those 2 items are pretty convenient for me most of the time! ;)

nydude nydude 's experience matches mine exactly...I've never HAD to hog off a bunch of INFI. I have knocked the shoulder down on a BM-e just because I wanted to...and I've slimmed down the bombproof tip on my HG55. But I just haven't had to grind on my edges to get em back to working, and even shaving sharp.

Last edited:
Here are some pics.

All of these blades have been used but not really abused (conventionally speaking) The FBM was accidentally hammered through some slate pavers. The Tank Buster has gone through rabbit and pork shoulder and ribs (strait through bone.) All have batoned, chopped, or cut through wood or bone, with the AMS having done a bunch of cooking and cutting onto weird surfaces. I've used a ceramic or diamond rod on all at one point. There's a small tear in the middle of the mistress that I've pushed into place but is not smooth.

The Block sharpener works. Not quite as well as my 12 inch Wustof honing steel but really close. It aligns and polishes the edge as long as there's not real damage, and always gets me back to paper shaving sharp. Maybe not scary light saber sharp, but more than enough to be proud of of my blades, and do anything, really, that they would need to do.

Please see a ubiquitous swine shaving sharp piece of paper underneath, and a bit of ribeye that was cut with just the weight of the blade.

All the best fellow Hogs :).

b8CbsCI.jpg

eWuT9N2.jpg

DMT credit card diamond stone. Have had one or two in my wallet for at least 3 years. As portable lightweight and carriable as it gets. Can sharpen any knives with them.

Back