portable work tables?

I'm looking for feedback, opinions and experience-

I have occasion to want to take a piece of equipment outside due to dust or whatever and a portable table seems like it would be very useful. I do have a couple of cheap folding plastic sawhorses from Harbor Freight and in conjunction with a piece of plywood that makes a pretty cheap table. I've set up my belt sander on this table before, it just doesn't have all of the little clamping gizmos. I could probably design and build a folding wood table that would do the trick and there might even be plans online for this sort of thing, but with Christmas nearly here this is something I could put on my wish list.

The first of these work tables was probably the Black and Decker workmate, still available in one or more variations. Somewhat recently I stumbled on ads for the Pegasus by Worx which seems more interesting than the B&D. I'm wondering how well they actually work and are they strong enough to hold a small piece of equipment such as a tabletop drill press or belt sander.

What I like is TWO, count 'em, TWO Workmates with a good size, thick, plank of wood clamped between them. This even works as a minimal scaffolding.
For the good sized plank I took a pile of 2x4s and through bolted them for a near four inch thick "table" . . . but I then planed them flat for a hand tool woodworking style work bench.
All this is extremely versatile (can use just one Workmate or two to hold long work or the two with the plank as a long table. :thumbsup:
I don't have photos handy but here is a Link>>>> to an image of the plank. You can see the through bolt on the top end. The plank is leaning against a wall out of the way. (easy to break down and store).

Last edited:
I've had a Black and Decker workmate since the 70's or 80's. I still use it for home projects.

I have a pair of the B&D Workmates. I put milk truck handles on them to make them a little easier to carry around when folded.

For simply a table, consider a folding sofa table that are sold with a hard surface (versus plastic). You could use them for overflow visitors eating as well. I personally just use the plastic saw horses for over sized wood material. Been thinking about getting a designed "work mate" of some sort. But it is not a priority. Next home project is to cut up some 1/8" plywood to narrow sheets that will fit through the hole into my attic and install a bit of flooring for either storage or convenience to me or folks needing to get into my attic for HVAC issues. That is a winter job unless it's an emergency.

f3mdzdZHJSthysMT8

get yourself a Centipede stand, i love mine.

You have the 4x8 or smaller version? How does it do on uneven surfaces such as having a temporary work space in the yard?

i have the 2' x 4' version. it comes with plastic things that hold a 2x4 so if i want to put a 4' x 8' sheet on it i just add the 2x4 supports.

i haven't used it on an uneven surface before. my yard is almost all a hill, so i use it in my driveway or garage. but i'm sure as long as it was mostly level it would be fine.

This DIY work table isn't portable, but may be able to be reconfigured to be portable or could be mounted outside the home:

NSXYOY9.jpg

RAZPGS8.jpg

lxwjfA5.jpg

My shop is a small and I needed a work bench that could be folded up and stay out of the way until needed. This one was quick and easy to make. I know it's not quite what was being described, but it could at least be mounted somewhere outside the home. There are lots of ideas on YouTube for DIY work benches!

I know it's not quite what was being described, but it could at least be mounted somewhere outside the home. There are lots of ideas on YouTube for DIY work benches!

I can see how you could make a stand-alone table that could fold up. You would have to add some bracing between legs. I saw some on youtube where the top came off and then the legs folded inwards. One that I considered had solid sides, the horizontal bars that went from left to right at front and back had hinges so they could fold. In effect the front and back would accordian as the sides came together. This one would be relatively easy to make and quick to move and set up. But I thought by the time I buy the lumber and hinges and spend the time making it, I could just buy one of the products on the market.

In research that I did the most common products were the Worx Pegasus and the Black & Decker Workmate 425 (which I ended up getting as a present.) The Worx is lighter and quicker to set up but the top is less versatile and has less versatile clamping which is why I decided against it. I'm happy with the workmate but the assembly instructions could be more clear.

I can see how you could make a stand-alone table that could fold up. You would have to add some bracing between legs. I saw some on youtube where the top came off and then the legs folded inwards. One that I considered had solid sides, the horizontal bars that went from left to right at front and back had hinges so they could fold. In effect the front and back would accordian as the sides came together. This one would be relatively easy to make and quick to move and set up. But I thought by the time I buy the lumber and hinges and spend the time making it, I could just buy one of the products on the market.

In research that I did the most common products were the Worx Pegasus and the Black & Decker Workmate 425 (which I ended up getting as a present.) The Worx is lighter and quicker to set up but the top is less versatile and has less versatile clamping which is why I decided against it. I'm happy with the workmate but the assembly instructions could be more clear.

The Pegasus and Workmate both seem excellent and far more versatile than my simple fold up table. I may have to look into purchasing one someday.

Back