[Possible] New to knife making...

I wouldn't say I'm "new" yet, because I haven't made the move on any tools yet. I'm on a very fixed [small] budget, I don't have ANY tools at the moment. So I'm starting from scratch.

I plan on chopping up an old propane tank for a propane forge, and doing one of the forge tutorials online, with the help of my brother-in-law's welder/welding experience.

The basic tools (hammer's, files, vise) I can get a hold of pretty cheap off craigslist.

My concern is a decent grinder. I've seen a lot of really good ones for $200-2000. That's way out of my price range. I was able to find this grizzly grinder - http://www.grizzly.com/products/Combo-Belt-Sander-Grinder/H7760. I know the belt is short and might over heat, but that seems to be the only grinder that is anywhere close to my budget.

Does anyone have any good grinder recommendations for a low budget?

Any help is much appreciated.

What do you want to do?

How much patience do you have?

A 1" x 30" grinder can do a great job if you take your time. The Grizzly will do fine for you also at this point.

Keep in mind that the folks WAY BACK WHEN didn't have access to grinders and such that we have this day in age. Also keep in mind that some of the great knives made in the 21st century are made with files and sandpaper... They made knives and other weapons from scratch with minimal tools...

Get good at forging the blades and you can ROCK with what you have! Get decent with the forge and you can ROCK with the tolls you have...

Basically, if you WANT to make good blades, you can... You don't have to have a $1,000.00 grinder... You already have what you need, the desire...

Charlie

Well I'm not interested in making swords (yet), I'd like to start with small to medium sized survival type knives. I'd say I have higher than average patience through experience with pottery and an extensive art background. I appreciate the creation process in all things, and enjoy it.

I could see myself starting with blanks or cut outs, I think that's called stock removal (correct me if I'm wrong).

I dont think I'll start with blocks of metal and pounding out shapes until I have more experience with actual knife style/design and really working out my own flare. I'd mainly use the forge for getting the steel how I want it through the tempering process. Again, I'm really new and only have about a weeks worth of research under my belt, so I'm sure my terminology and idea of the process is way off.

I have seen some set ups that keep a basic file flat while you're filing. I'm sure being this new to the whole idea of knife making is really hurting my thought process. I like knives with different bevel angles and things, so I'd really be interested in making that style of knife, so that's why I'm thinking a grinder would benefit me most.

Save your money.The harbor frieght grinder usually won't get you throuh one knife.
Go to Sears and look for thier 2 X42 belt sander it's bout 120 bucks but will last a couple of years or more.
Stan

Stan, I just found a Craftsman 2x42. I might wait an extra week or two and pick that one up. I like the additional disc.

I am however interested in beveling with a file and a jig, kind of like the one found here...

http://www.bushcraftliving.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5742

I think that might be interesting, and most likely A LOT cheaper. I might try looking into a set of good files, and putting together a jig. I like old school processes. I still might get a belt grinder for handles and final steps.

I started out with a 4 x 36 and 9" disc Black and decker (it died) and added a Delta 1 x 42 with a 5" disc, it still works great. the discs are perfect for roughing out shapes. The 1" belt works for flat grinds but you have to be steady on the platen. That craftsman should work fine for you, buy lots of belts hehe.

Craftsman 2x42 is best grinder for the price. as long as you arn't turning out allot of knives 2x42 will be all you need.

you can get belts here I recomend Zirconia

You want to do it by hand,good for you.Read this thread alot of good info.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693892
Stan
That was my introduction to knife making, I learned a lot from the other makers here doing that one. I still mainly make by hand, but with 2 impending surgeries on my left arm in the next year and a half I will be switching over to a real grinder soon. I hear that WCB up here give people like me a loss of enjoyment payment once everything is said and done, so that money will go straight to a real grinder.

Working with hand tools is very satisfying, so I will miss it once I make the switch;)

That was my introduction to knife making, I learned a lot from the other makers here doing that one. I still mainly make by hand, but with 2 impending surgeries on my left arm in the next year and a half I will be switching over to a real grinder soon. I hear that WCB up here give people like me a loss of enjoyment payment once everything is said and done, so that money will go straight to a real grinder.

Working with hand tools is very satisfying, so I will miss it once I make the switch;)

I read every word in that thread, and I'm very impressed to say the least. I've been working on some jig designs based on what I've seen online.

I'll probably end up getting the 2x42 Craftsman to save time. I saw that you were sending your blades to someone else to get heat treated. I plan on doing the heat treating myself though, so I'm sure I'll screw more up learning that process.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Back