Possible stupid question , some help ......

So several years back my truck was broken into and my Swamp Rat HRLM was stolen. Then my back up was stolen along with more of my collection, ex wife.

Been looking for a HRLM for years (when I have time and can remember) every one I see is $250 or better, and I'm not paying that for what was a $130 knife.

So my question is.

I still can't find a HRLM but what I do have is 2 new Ratmandus . Would it be possible to shorten the blade VERY SLOWLY to not ruin the heat treat and reshape it to the HRLM blade profile ?

Also since both my HRLMs were stolen , I don't have a pattern to go by.

Possible / thoughts ?

Also I have a friend who is an Amish knife maker / blade smith. He produces some very fine edge knives and he then takes a deer antler and starts whacking on the edge. If it rolls or anything, it's a do over.

Last edited:
The HRLM and the 1311 are my most used knives.
I would set up email notifications from that site and also post a Want to Buy thread though you may have to upgrade.
A lot of blades have been hitting the market due to Covid economy

Lol..
I have a Rodent Solution with black paper waiting for some pants. So during the wait the temptation was on :p:cool::thumbsup:

I wish they would bring back the HRLM and leave it up for sale in the store for a while like they did the RMD. I’d buy a few.

Theres a company called Northern blades or knives (I think) that will customize your RMD into what ever you want. If google doesnt help you message me and I'll dig their link out of my emails.

HRLM is one of my favourite and most used blades, I have a couple with one being a little thinner than the other (the choil was also opened up a bit). I think you would be doing an awful lot of grinding at some risk of screwing the heat treat to get the RMD down to what you want, with the time and effort investment I think selling an RMD and putting that into the blade you want is a better idea. Sadly they stopped being a $130 knife the moment they were discontinued.

Back