Possible Worthwhile Mod for Bearing Kizer Owners

I just want to start this off by saying that this mod isn't necessarily going to work with all Kizer knives with ceramic bearings in it. I only have a sample size of 4 and it worked wonders for mine. It would help to get more points of reference if you own Kizers and don't mind opening it up. So let me explain.

My Kizer knives never had what you would call bad actions, but something had felt kind of off about them. They are equipped with ceramic bearing and detents, but there was a bit of resistance to each of mine. Even after a break in period. I had just received a Kizer Perock and it had the same issues. So I took it apart, cleaned the insides and had a little idea. All of my Kizers have these steel inserts on the scale side of the pivot
mfdBf8s.jpg

Notice that it is grooved so the bearing sits into the insert. I think what's happening is the bearing cage itself is coming into contact with the metal insert. Kizer uses bearing with plastic cages so that could be the cause of the drag I was having with the action. I flipped the inserts, put the knife back together, lubed with KPL and it felt like an entirely different knife. So much so that I took all my other Kizer knives apart and did the same mod
NPDIMbf.jpg

I noticed the biggest change in my Sheepdog (which already felt great) and my Guru. I would put the actions on par with what WE Knives I have owned and handled. Snaps out with more power, a lot smoother drop shutting (it turned the Sheepdog into a literal guillotine on closing). Just added an overall smoothness to the action. The only downside I can think of is that because the bearings aren't countersunk into the insert anymore, it adds a bit of extra width at the pivot end. But in all honesty it isn't noticeable. Lockup is unchanged, centering is perfect, stop pins are still secure and don't move or rattle.

Overall I'm very happy with how little it took to improve the actions on these already great blades. I would love to see other people try this and report back with their conclusions.

The few kizers I own have great actions, but I'm going to try this out and see what happens. Just tried it on my guru,no difference. Will try it out on mini sheepdogs later.

Last edited:
The few kizers I own have great actions, but I'm going to try this out and see what happens. Just tried it on my guru,no difference. Will try it out on mini sheepdogs later.
Maybe I just got unlucky with the QC of my knives where this change benefited them. I'm sure it will vary from knife to knife. My Ursa Minor had the slightest change, while the Sheepdog saw the biggest improvement

Back