Post #1 in the new Forum! Welcome!

Hey Xander, nice taste in tunes! I've been cranking some Atmosphere lately too. I have a couple Sage Francis albums, don't know the Sol.Illaquists of Sound though. Sounds like good hip hop probably.

I've been through Stockton many a time, my Aunt lived in Oakland for years and we'd take the pass from Stockton through the windmills into the Bay area when visiting her. Nice country, California is hard to beat in my opinion. Have a good Sunday!

Yeah the infamous Altamont Pass. Home of the legendary Altamont Speedway free concert put on by the rolling stones in December '69 and the ensuing riot and violence with the Hells Angels. I used to love riding my bicycle from stockton to Livermore (on the west side of the pass) through the back roads. Then I moved to Oakland and drove that pass all the time. Not very scenic from the interstate, but if you take Altamont Pass Road through the hills it is beautiful!

If you like Atmosphere, Sage Francis, Jake One or any of those guys you would probably dig on some Sol.Illiquists of Sound. Check it out...

[Youtube]nNbVYJmuUFI[/youtube]

-Xander

Grats on the forum Salem! Now i have a place to post naked pics of me and sasquatch pics of Daniel :D

Good lord Mike, I hope by that you don't refer to here!:barf: Otherwise, feel free to post whatever.:D Thanks for dropping in, bro.

Ugh work is ridiculously slow and boring today. I have exactly ZERO motivation right now! My new employee is very quiet, gives only one word answers, and never engages you in conversation. I have enough busy work to get me through the day, but I have tomorrow off and all I keep thinking about is what all needs to be done on a couple guards I'm fitting to knives right now! One is in fine silver and the other is in classic cast bronze. I also have a couple more that are almost ready for glue-up and one needs checkering. I hope to get an early start, which means clean the bench off and be working on them by 8:00am.

Is it bad that all I think about is playing with knives?! I know I can't be the only one!

-Xander

I always used to feel that way when I worked full time for other people and had a knife shop at home. That was the only way I could have been motivated enough to spend so much of my "down time" working with knives, and that drive pulled me through until the day I was able to do this full time. Now I spend my time off on the honey do list and actually relaxing.

Dd you cast the bronze guard yourself?

Yeah it tough trying to balance work, home and knife making. Too often I have to mow the lawn, do laundry, or other stuff when I really want to be in the shop.

The bronze I am using was cast into a large sheet and I use it as bar stock. Although I would like to try and do some lost wax casting of carved guards and pommels.

-Xander

Me too! Lost wax casting is a whole other fascinating process that I've only read about so far. This Samson dagger I just worked on got me thinking more about it, Jody was a master of wax cast sword fittings.

I'm going to do some more work in wrought for fittings when I can, too. That stuff looks cool etched.

Back