Post Pictures of your new Szabo

Mine arrived about an hour ago. I am not the greatest photographer nor do I have the best camera. I would enjoy seeing skilled people post some photos.

Quick first impression: This thing is a beast, it feels very substantial in the hand almost like the Tuff. The CF scales are very nice and it came very sharp out of the box. I have flipped the clip since I took pictures and it is riding in my pocket here at work. Mr. Szabo must have very large hands.

Now for my pictures.

The USPS package just after I ripped it open.
IMAG0775.jpg

Standard red and black Spyderco box.
IMAG0776.jpg

SKU
IMAG0777.jpg

The knife barely fits in the plastic bag.
IMAG0778.jpg

In the box is a nice little pamphlet about the Szabo.
IMAG0779.jpg

Closed
IMAG0780.jpg

IMAG0781.jpg

Open
IMAG0782.jpg

Close-up of S30V blade.
IMAG0785.jpg

In the hand shots. I wear a medium glove.
IMAG0788.jpg

IMAG0789.jpg

A few shots next to a PM2
IMAG0790.jpg

IMAG0791.jpg

IMAG0792.jpg

How do you like it? Does it carry nicely? How is the action on it, can you flick it out easily? Nice comparison pictures by the way.

How do you like it? Does it carry nicely? How is the action on it, can you flick it out easily? Nice comparison pictures by the way.

I really like it so far.

I changed the carry orientation to tip down just like a Military. To me to doesn't feel any different in my pocket than a Military

The action is stiff, not like the Tuff, but stiff. There is also a very slight gritty sound near the end. Possibly the auto-close mechanism. I cannot flick it open, but I can easily open it with thumb pressure through the 180 degree arc.

How does the compression lock feel compared to a para 2, do you like the spring retention feature, it seems like a good idea to me.

How does the compression lock feel compared to a para 2, do you like the spring retention feature, it seems like a good idea to me.

The compression lock is smooth, but stiffer than the PM2. Everything on my PM2 is glass smooth, it is like a racing bicycle. The Szabo is stiffer, but it has to be that way because the blade is massive. It is more like a heavy duty pickup truck, but the King Ranch edition. Mine does not auto close like the one in the YouTube video did. It does seem to be loosing, but that could just be me getting use to it.

Is the lightning strike cf textured like that used on the Bradley or smooth?

It is textured. I think it provides a nice surface. I am impressed.

So far I would say the Szabo is worth the $200 I paid.

Nice pics! As soon as I heard about a Szabo folder, I knew I'd want one. After seeing how massive they decided to make it though, I'm not sure anymore. The blade is too long for legal carry but I love the design. Anyone know if there are plans for a smaller Szabo folder?

Thank you dingle. I love that textured cf. I love this design. It is a must have for me. Great pics brother....enjoy that beauty!

Thanks for the pics!

Anyone know if there are plans for a smaller Szabo folder?

If you compare this folder with Szabo's other designs this IS small.

I keep going back and forth with this knife as well, it reminds me of a Cold Steel Espada I used to own, cool as all get out, but no real practical purpose other than what it was intended for.

Having large hands I like big knives, I guess I'm just going to have to put one in my hands to make an opinion.

BTW - could someone take a picture of the back/top of the knife, was wondering if they used the same spacers as the prototype. Thanks

Thanks for the pics!

If you compare this folder with Szabo's other designs this IS small.

I keep going back and forth with this knife as well, it reminds me of a Cold Steel Espada I used to own, cool as all get out, but no real practical purpose other than what it was intended for.

Having large hands I like big knives, I guess I'm just going to have to put one in my hands to make an opinion.

BTW - could someone take a picture of the back/top of the knife, was wondering if they used the same spacers as the prototype. Thanks

That's true. Laci tends to make larger blades. I prefer 3.5" folders for EDC but as long as the blade is under 4", any folder is fair game. This being over a half inch longer than the legal limit, it would only be a collection piece for me. I believe its pillar constructed unlike the proto.

As requested here are some spine shots with a Tuff and a Millie.

IMG_00000004.jpg

IMG_00000006.jpg

IMG_00000007.jpg

I have been opening and closing the Szabo since I received it this afternoon, it is still stiff. I cannot close it one handed without having to push the blade against something.

As far as the size is concerned it is big, but not really that much bigger than a Military. NC law where I live states I can conceal an ordinary folding knife carried in the closed position, no specific length limit is specified. I would argue that the Szabo fits the bill. It fits in the front pocket of my Khaki pants just fine.

Last edited:
The CF is grippy, each of the gold strands is slightly raised. I don't think it is as grippy as a brand new G-10 Military, but it is definitely more grippy than my well used one. The lightning strike CF is not like any of CF on my other knives. It is grippy or textured, but it is not rough. The knife slides in and out of my jeans pocket easily.

I think I may just have to go ahead and grab one of these. Even if its too big to carry, I can't get over how great it looks. Dingle, did you pre-order yours or is there somewhere that has em in stock now?

Thanks for sharing Dingle1911.

I really like that lightning strike carbon fiber and blade shape.

Back