Post Pictures of your new Szabo

DSC_2688.jpg

DSC_2687.jpg

DSC_2686.jpg

DSC_2689.jpg

DSC_2690.jpg

DSC_2691.jpg

Is this a sprint or a regular production model?

I like the gold wire / CF!!

The blade may take some getting used to... but, I think I like this one.

The nice gold weave carbon fiber is the reason i bought this folder. Hope to see PM2 having this feature.

Yeah, this is one sexy knife. I have a feeling this product is going to be difficult to keep in stock for a while.

JD

eloreno, great photos.

netidolweb, one of my reasons for purchasing the Szabo was the CF. The other was its Taiwan production. I too would love to see a PM2 with the same carbon fiber scales.

I just received my Szabo. This CF doesn't really feel like the regular CF you would find on a Sage 1 or a Navaja. It feels like something in-between the Sage 1 and the G10 of a PM2. Difficult to explain. I do not feel any wires or any imperfections. The grip is very nice. It actually has a better grip than the Sage 1. The gold lines actually look better in photographs than they do in person. :( For in-person looks i prefer the Sage 1 type of CF.
The knife does not appear to be flickable. Mine is very tight. I would say this knife is somewhere in-between a PM2 and a Tuff in tightness. It is even tighter than my Manix2 XL. It actually feels like a lock back.
The compression lock on here is pretty neat looking. It actually rides over the lock bar. Very cool! I also noticed that no part of the blade actually contacts the lock bar. Even with the compression lock held back the blade is still hitting something to stop but i cant see what it is. Has anyone figured this out? Very curious.

JD

Mine has loosened significantly since I received it, but it is still not flickable. I also loosened the pivot ever so slightly because mine was so stiff that the self close mechanism didn't function.

I too am curious how the lock functions, I have not figured it out.

I just received my Szabo. This CF doesn't really feel like the regular CF you would find on a Sage 1 or a Navaja. It feels like something in-between the Sage 1 and the G10 of a PM2. Difficult to explain. I do not feel any wires or any imperfections. The grip is very nice. It actually has a better grip than the Sage 1. The gold lines actually look better in photographs than they do in person. :( For in-person looks i prefer the Sage 1 type of CF.
The knife does not appear to be flickable. Mine is very tight. I would say this knife is somewhere in-between a PM2 and a Tuff in tightness. It is even tighter than my Manix2 XL. It actually feels like a lock back.
The compression lock on here is pretty neat looking. It actually rides over the lock bar. Very cool! I also noticed that no part of the blade actually contacts the lock bar. Even with the compression lock held back the blade is still hitting something to stop but i cant see what it is. Has anyone figured this out? Very curious.

JD

There is an internal stop pin and it's quite thick. You can see the cutouts on either liner, and if you look closely you can see the internal stop pin as you rotate the blade.

There is an internal stop pin and it's quite thick. You can see the cutouts on either liner, and if you look closely you can see the internal stop pin as you rotate the blade.

I do see it now. It looks like it is pressed into the blade and stops against the frame. The opposite to what i am used to on Spydercos. Good catch though, i would have never have seen it if you didn't point it out.

Thanks,
JD

Gosh this knife is big. I'm tempted to take it apart just to see how the pivot works with the self-close mechanism.

Thanks for the reviews and great pictures. This one is my grail knife, should be ordering one pretty soon. It really looks amazing. Kinda disappointing with the stiff opening and closing, but I still think that removing that spring might change that! :confused:

I looked beyond the stiff opening and decided to EDC the blade. After carrying the Szabo for a few days i have to say that i am not very happy with the CF texture or lack of grip i should say. The knife slipped in my hand while cutting some vacuum line. Lucky i did not cut myself. I promptly grabbed my PM2 and finished the job.
The size and ergos of the Szabo were fine to me. No issues at all. With only a little bit of sweat on my hands the knife is not safe for me. Big frown :( I really liked this knife too. Ohh well. Another shelf queen...sigh

JD

I looked beyond the stiff opening and decided to EDC the blade. After carrying the Szabo for a few days i have to say that i am not very happy with the CF texture or lack of grip i should say. The knife slipped in my hand while cutting some vacuum line. Lucky i did not cut myself. I promptly grabbed my PM2 and finished the job.
The size and ergos of the Szabo were fine to me. No issues at all. With only a little bit of sweat on my hands the knife is not safe for me. Big frown :( I really liked this knife too. Ohh well. Another shelf queen...sigh

JD

Send your Szabo to someone and have them lightly bead blast the carbon fiber. That should give it the grip you desire.

As far as the "stiffer opening" ......it has to be the resistance placed on the blade from the spring that operates the self close feature. It doesn't bother me that much. It still opens smooth. A definite winner from Spyderco!

I was on the fence about getting this knife, but I think that I will skip this time. Seems like a very nice collectible knife.

I haven't bought a new knife in months. I couldn't take it any more. Found a dealer with a good price. I now have one on the way.

Last edited:
Back