Post Pictures of your new Szabo

I was also on the fence about this one, but I jumped on it anyway. Absolutely no regrets here.

This is a beautiful knife, equal parts intimidating and awe-inspiring. I don't have large hands, but despite the Szabo's beastly size, it still feels great in my hand. I happen to love large folders (the Resilience was my first Spyderco), and as soon as I picked up this tank of a knife, I knew it was going to be one of my favorites.

wevMe.jpg

Thanks for the reviews and great pictures. This one is my grail knife, should be ordering one pretty soon. It really looks amazing. Kinda disappointing with the stiff opening and closing, but I still think that removing that spring might change that! :confused:

I don't think it has a stiff opening at all, but then I prefer knives with strong detents and I tighten down the pivot screws. It appears that you can't over tighten the pivot (I'm not sure what is preventing that, but I don't think it's a bushing) and it also appears that there is no hole drilled into the blade for the detent ball on the compression lock to slide "down" into. If this is true, then you really shouldn't remove the spring from the knife, as there would be no detent at all.

If anybody has taken one apart I'd be very interested in seeing pics.

I took mine apart, but didn't take pics, though I wish I did. There is no bushing inside, just a regular "D" shaped pivot.

I would recommend people NOT take this knife apart, as it's a real trick getting it back together properly.

There is a third washer sort of piece, that sits around one of the PB washers, that interacts with the spring that can be seen in one of the liners.

There is an internal stop pin, as well as two other, shorter, "posts" that keep the blade lined up with the third washer piece, hopefully this makes sense...

I really wish I took pictures, but I don't think I want to risk dis assembly again.

Thanks for the explanation eloreno and the words of caution. Yeah, I kinda figured that there was something going on with one of the washers for the self-close mechanism.

Do you remember if you saw a hole for the compression lock detent ball to go into?

Thanks for the explanation eloreno and the words of caution. Yeah, I kinda figured that there was something going on with one of the washers for the self-close mechanism.

Do you remember if you saw a hole for the compression lock detent ball to go into?

No detent ball, or hole that I remember.

There is no detent in the Laci Szabo folder. I've disassembled the knife completely, removed the springs and then reassembled it. Without the spring, the blade do not stay in closed position. It took me quite awhile to figure out how to put everything back together again.
This is the toughest knife i've ever reassembled. I thought that the Navaja was bad, but this is much worse. The spring is really pita...
Here are some pictures of the internal parts of the knife.

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0336-1.jpg

*edit: There's one more picture that's not showing...

Thank you for posting pictures of the internals! I know you said that there is one more pictures that isn't showing up. Do you have any pictures of how the spring interfaces with the blade.

Now the last picture is showing up. The back side of the scale looks cool. Thanks again for the pictures.

Thank you for posting pictures of the internals! I know you said that there is one more pictures that isn't showing up. Do you have any pictures of how the spring interfaces with the blade.

I can't do that because there's a thin circular plate that is attached to the blade tang. This plate will spring out if i took the blade out of the pivot because it's constantly under pressure from the compressed piston spring.

When the blade is opened, this plate pushes the small little black bar which compresses the spring fully. Here's a picture to illustrate it.

IMG_0335.jpg

Thank you. This is one complicated mechanism. I am still trying to wrap my mind around it. I am not one to disassemble knives, but I will definitely not attempt this one.

I have been carrying my Szabo regularly, I really like this knife.

sweet knife dingle1911,been wanting that knife since i saw it! jealous...

I really like mine. It is wearing in nicely and I am impressed with the craftsmanship. I am even more impressed after seeing pictures of the mechanism, it is clear that a lot of engineering went into this knife. I would recommend it if you like large knives because it is pretty bug, but I think it carries well.

The price seems to have gone down since I ordered mine. I saw it on the Szabo Site for $175, the first 200 came with a signed box (which I wouldn't care for), but they also got a Szabo sticker with the skull logo which I think would be pretty neat.

Lastly Taiwan has a special place in my heart because it is where we adopted my youngest daughter from. I hope to pass this knife to her one day. I know it will last.

This looks like it is crying out to be waved. I may have to get one and dremel it.

I'm trying to grow enough of a pair to do that to a Lionspy, so taking the plunge on a knife at just over half the price might be a good stepping stone.

BTW - for the size, materials and design innovations, I think the Szabo is almost a steal.

Back