Post Up Your NEW Gear ...

Yeah I'll probably put a dangler on the sheath. Pretty much made for one.
_20161226_154902_zpsppjjlfco.jpg

Couple sharpening stones from Finland and some wool and thinsulate shooting mits from China

DSC_0116_zpsri1unoae.jpg

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Yesterday I ordered (online from MEC, a retailer here in Canada) the newly re-designed basic Petzl Tikka headlamp (advertised as becoming available in January 2017) and it would seem to be a good deal. Three levels of power, with the maximum a decent 200 lumens (double the previous model) plus stealthy red. With respectable run times, and the red has a strobe feature ...

I don't know how to post photos, but there's a photo in this press blurb.

https://www.petzl.com/CA/en/Sport/New/TIKKA#.WGcCY7EZOis

That is a lot of name-brand bang-for-the-buck. I found one recent YouTube video about it, and the "tester" (obviously down in the U.S.) who received the new 2017 as a "test-sample" said that the U.S. price would be $30 ... the same as the previous model. Which pleased him immensely ... :)

Happy New Year!

EDIT: January 6 - So the headlamp arrived at the Post Office on January 3rd, and it is even better than I could have hoped. I was sceptical that the single red LED would be (as advertised) visible at night at hundreds of meters on strobe, but it is! A great safety feature. (I have real/dedicated strobes ... a Princeton Tec on my PFD and a mil-spec ACR strobe in my car and boat) that are obviously more powerful, but the tiny Petzl is pretty damn good, and always with you.

The extraordinary-long white-light advertised "run-time" on 3 AAA batteries (60 hours at 100 lumen middle-power) remains to be seen, but I suspect that I will not be disappointed. They actually claim that it will run the same 60 hours on full-tilt 200 lumen ... but there has to be a typo in there I think.

EDIT: Aha! I just learned that this Classic model is unregulated, which would explain the identical run times for both high and medium. Kinda like a horse race between two perfectly matched horses ... one explodes out the gate and is balls to the wall for the first 200 m, and the other gets a more moderate start. By the end of the back stretch they are nose-and-nose with about equal amounts of gas in the tank. It ends in a photo finish.

A huge deal from a respected manufacturer for $30 ... $38 in Canada. I just bought a second one.

Last edited:
gossamer gear riksaks...was on sale so decided to buy a lifetime supply.

5_gossamer_gear_riksaks_zpsilzuu0qp.jpg

Ha! I thought I was the only one they were watching to get rid of everything I like...

A few new goodies, including my last knife of 2016 (Spyderco Jumpmaster 2) and first knife of 2017 (Hogue X-5 G-Mascus)
32047921472_a95a92c800_b.jpg

Last edited:
Good move:thumbup:, as it's been my experience that when I find something I like, they stop making it.:confused:

happened to me a few times in the past as well - mostly kifaru packs...the most recent is this gg dyneema pouch that i use as my firekit...i would've bought a few more had i known it was going to disappear.

104_014_zpsszubjpgl.jpg

Ha! I thought I was the only one they were watching to get rid of everything I like...

i know how that feels like :(

happened to me a few times in the past as well - mostly kifaru packs...the most recent is this gg dyneema pouch that i use as my firekit...i would've bought a few more had i known it was going to disappear.
Make your own for pennies. Only takes a few minutes. This homemade pouch is going on more than 40 years now.

Sharpening.JPG

gossamer gear cuben fiber ditty bags.

gossamer_gear_ditty_bags_01_zpsekwqcjhy.jpg

the smaller one is a good size for a toiletry kit...the larger one i think i'll use for a first aid kit.

gossamer_gear_ditty_bags_02_zps6r3o31ot.jpg

I hand it to my daughter for doing some deep research here on BF to find that I wanted the TOPS Dragonfly ... gotta say I can't wait to put down the snow shovel and get outside for some camp time with it!

american survival guide january 2017 issue...reuben wrote the "how-to: thwart old man winter" article and 3 pics of me are in it :D

asg_magazine_zpsjr31yve1.jpg

american survival guide january 2017 issue...reuben wrote the "how-to: thwart old man winter" article and 3 pics of me are in it :D

That's great :thumbup: What do the pics cover?

So Bushcraft Outfitters finally put out the large poncho in coyote brown and I snapped it up immediately!!! So happy to have a poncho that fits my 6'5" frame and in a color I want!!

IMG_20170118_182051_zps2hw5crb8.jpg

9 1/2 by 7 1/2 foot treated tarp. Might be on the heavy side for backpacking. Well made w double stitching and reinforced grommets every 2 feet. Probably for bike trips and horses
_20170128_135114_zpsqos8oz0s.jpg

This is a good little buddy to have along. Light but deadly, small but powerful. It says "Taiwan" on it, but this thing is not breaking. NOT breaking. Period. I bought this primarily for CQC because I'd rather have this against an enemy than just my knife. I could go with simply a big knife, but I'm not into carrying "swords" around. I'd rather have this + my normal knife which is more usable anyway. And the small axe/medium knife combo is my preference to just carrying one big blade. But that's personal, go whichever way you want.It's small, but I wanted it to be small. See pics for size. If it was a big, it'd obviously be more capable (they did come out with a larger version) but I'd not carry it with me and end up not having it when I needed it. This thing can be put on my carrier. It doesn't exactly "disappear" on it, but at least it's discreet. I will use camo wrap on it to make it blend when I get around to it.
The grip felt weird at first, and it is not the most comfortable, but I didn't get this to terrorize trees all day. I would like to say I got used to it quickly, but that would be a lie. It does provide for a good grip but it also "cuts" into your hand. No, I don't have soft hands; it's just not its purpose to hack away all day long. With gloves this problem disappears, but be mindful if you're gonna planning to use this without. Just ... better don't.

Got this for myself for Christmas. Spyderco Sprig. Can't wait to use it when we go camping in April
IMG_4649_zps9udhleg3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Works great in the kitchen too.
IMG_4634_zpshfslgar7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Not exactly new but the newest I've got. Picked this up for last fall's elk season. Didn't get to use it on a critter but it does fine around the camp and in the kitchen. One of Steve Johnson's Seek 5.0 V2 models.

I bought a Nessmukian knife last weekend and picked up a Kephart this weekend.

Nessmuk%2520Sheath.JPG

Nessmuk%2520Osage%2520Orange.JPG

Condor%2520Kephart.JPG

The convex Nessmuk went through a venison roast when I cubed it like it was going through butter. The Kephart I have yet to use as I just received it and have done nothing but remove the black blade paint and smoothed the grips.

Picked up a Red Rock large assault pack. Going for a trip this summer and this is the perfect size carry on. Wife liked the idea so we have a red and black one coming as well. Excellent quality.

DSC_0002_zps4cc9ij2v.jpg

91eTUJYlb0L._SL1500__zpsdnwekqi3.jpg

They'll make perfect day packs. Some good reviews online.

Back