Post Up Your NEW Gear ...

John, when I showed up at 5SFG(A) shortly after they moved to Fort Campbell in the 1980s (I was a support puke assigned to Service Company), my boss gave me a new in box Silva Ranger and a Mk2 USN dive knife from his days on a dive team. I gave the knife back to him a few years ago so he could pass it one to one of his grandkids. But I took that compass everywhere for years. I haven't seen it since I retired from the Army, and that's driving me crazy. I has to be somewhere in the garage. Every year for the last decade or so when we clean out/reorganize the garage I hope to find it. No luck so far.

The luminous strips you mention must be Tritium. Can you show me a pic of what you need or a detailed description? I might be able to source it for you.

Last edited:
Received today, a used Esee 6 with TKC scales and molle back.
After a good scrub it looks like this:

NwVzA1oNi869En1BFIOXd-Jn-EU9slbel9lsGa8Fq74O0zR1SE4b-wogZ25X_vBHR-WZfvosE-JzkOSLBwuVxrTWKDod64R20xetQiKQjLx5nl3LHKbaPi9V6_-S7Pey9hE9Y7Oopk7D5-M6-AqFXXdKoduvb436ba5JKFO75xbPdfcp19JFLQBZhz4RGERJnXpnVWCPOXptlFY2NvEqm3eJqalSRbbl54r1N8HEWmGZc4k1EKKASOxK1QWO1sGOqKLoUzqngD5BVE2RygB8MUfTgux5Q8dd8gEQHhm4Dryndm3KW6EKL6Aw8_RD1aBO6z1fiDOkMacPpub3KQQXMbMelNZI9255PS2NZIl6KYl2xgX_f9I2N1a7O_giLQS9fjvtU3vCWIJ34VOFVZmKTzU4QUzS-siQ8dMrK3HqkoM1XDI5FnuyeMoEHLiyMMv2v6nJjrlnnqAxJmhna4NlZW3_KaL5m0J-xhOlNITz4w_vgAUSYcoV-wImFw2EG6sK6adHMVNrsEf1yL2CgMaB4KDmzQFBnL-_FbkjErWvkiCCesy3Dnp3PIDFDoni6ZugsK35fjgcrr_mhGQqWUBbPf12BNa742jrq5j7sIrYbg=w800-h533-no

eOOUE55LOgO0UOmZMQjg3U9w-33AZRuKHgWq4VJWictNRPWi81jVBH7LWUKUGjAHXkiF4748ImZkA1j0VvbCuXU95osMcRL7DNFY-NW9cXy3nh58aRv6lBAhDgKuTCiCwlBg6cjrc_5qgicCuaPgHe6F0DJ0m1ZrLGdBe0_ftNz6QVKSBrYGwrk_DaCTgSoyweQCj3DFcLZZGi4iHRsRZY1f3kE8M-KW_5AQhuHgltgW0i_2jBhCVvsJ3FS3-j-1nTXVNnzxRScQ1-dvh4zL0Jk4cbn0SxXlE9ZqUJZLJ83F_8J_VnmHG_QI5jElfmycW11Jwjrna9DsOIT4Pt2THoIcuMu79z-zwtFHvh7kpvptoY0_CZw-sw4yrcC9RDph0ljVZvPC1K_HIgBtdkN8pMI6piLaSV9rNn7m5HtULzO270EhwZTdDN0z-3fg5qc1i0-LVxolMYL3QNKb95MnRGRiEY0go-uv2Iv_n16VMS_DajimF_ZiTV7mglhrEiQ_Uxokq_RmL62HNZTa90BFyieF1Pa7G6Dcxp2_3kzZUUUZTHeSeyn-XWkSSsjoUpiKqmcK_3ky26dMqRfVUncZGsAzd4WBfhBF7GfEBbCsag=w800-h533-no

mdHEVIUbiZqgmuSCOpmTSuSrqf_QNXz7E_MpPo0lMRSCcCE0t4JjzPOpYdFA9BPa-4b0El1vwOESTPkHzuNmuoVrS1zFmSujGZ48kChTGYA8dIv7isLq52v6FJ8OERdZ86ok0R3ankdcKc5-R6zRbDrhiG2ryPAgNy9JoxHiP78HuKpcLDb5MILQjRzKMN2IRoGMuNALvWK3HoSTV2IfAfK38yYFnuS5HD3nlOnN-e5P-_12legI-rZvNxQfoqnCOjlK6Itj8ijh70raKWr3XKUk6HsV6LRydLt7UzJrKO1W1GoXhoOCdceGEUzeqjwc89FM7ju-zFF8N7ABkPKLpqYwyIdp0uoCrO3-L4QRvi3sAjRLlxT99xqVPtC0bCq593pDhWZSyVyX2iS1tWFSflHF65Y5NP8irnh29AeMWtlRFskOacX-_tXurNLfoixbua1cP8Pj4FmyUq4DZcxWXWxszlRt_CKySv0exIp--mYPolYPVtirciOyvq9Fy16xSbgJDPJZPQl2BHmaF71uOhgFGGZGtXkXJZ13H6iQQd9uvhgZ922AndBD7heAUkC7UuVbZvrE_IYQOhrd8I-E_07vv6un0jmLf9o2SqE10Q=w800-h533-no

This promises big fun in the woods soon :D

leg hog, thanks for the offer, but I no longer stumble around the forest at night. I switched to the Suunto equivalent of a Ranger years ago, and carry it in my back pack and it has traveled over 567,000 miles with me. A few years back I got a Suunto MC-2 Global compass from man on BF, in a face to face meeting. It has a luminous bezel so if I ever have to go out at night I am good to go. John PS The Canadian para told me they carried their Silva Ranger on a cord, and when moving at night would flip it over onto their back, and that small luminous stripe worked as a "Ranger Eyes".

lego, I received my Polish compass today, seems well built but it is not liquid filled. Even sitting on my desk top the needle bounces around for a while until it finally stops. It is in the Soviet 6000 mils format, and remember 1500 mills is East even thought the Compass has a "W" there. Turns out that East in Polish is "Wschod" with an accent mark above the O, which I do not know how to make my computer do. John

My Polish compass came in yesterday too. The needle is not damped at all whether by liquid or induction, so, yes, the needle does bounce much before settling. The trick is dampen it yourself with a tilt in the middle of a needle swing arc. At least the needle is locked when the lid is closed to keep from damaging it.

The 6000 mil system is easy to convert to degrees Just multiply by 6. South on the dial is 30 (3000) mils. Multiply by 6 equals 180 degrees. East is 15 (1500) mils on the dial. multiply by 6 is 90 degrees.

I picked up a Becker BK7, a Lansky Tactical Sharpener, and a 5.11 Sierra Bravo Duty Belt. I've recently gotten a Streamlight Protac 2L-X for EDC carry.

time to retire my merrell phaser peaks - they let me down big time during last weekend's overnighter - my feet were soaked and frozen...salomon toundra pro cswp and sorel caribou wool.

salomon_sorel_zpssaeisjyx.jpg

Everything in the pic is new but the rope. I did get some rope too but no reason to get 100m of brand new spooled rope out to climb 20' up a tree to play on my one day off for Xmas.

Oh and the toboggan cap is new too.

Now-that-i-know-what-i-like Replacements / upgrades for old gear
- 2x 3pks omega locking carabiners
- 2x black Diamond screwgate HMS carabiners
- Black Diamond ATC XP
- assorted slings and webbing and cord

Not in use in the pic but I also got a rescue 8 and all new regular 8's cause I want to teach my kids the same way I learned when I was a kid; on a double rope setup with 8's before progressing to an extended ATC setup on a single rope like I use now.

6XTCqbF.jpg

Last edited:
Cereal_killer Cereal_killer have you used a Edelrid Jul 2 ?
I like mine. Do you climb for work?
I don't currently work in a climbing field but I do use a harness and rope at my construction job for safety (where I wear a full body / fall protection harness, not my climbing harness).

Mainly recreation for me , been doing rope courses and bouldering and some basic lead climbing & top roping (both real and artificial) for 15+ years now.

I haven't tried a Jul2, seen some in the field but I mainly use the ATC's for rappelling and a grigri2 for actual belay. Not a lot of stuff to play on in Ohio...

I'm considering a career change in the new year, to tower climbing, I've got some buddies in the field and have been very interested, just comfy at my current job ya know. Do you climb for work?

Do you climb for work?
No, not for work. I am a climbing instructor for our local scout council, we have a nice indoor wall with 3 top belay anchors & 3 rappeling anchors. Very few places in Nebraska with natural rock.
Tower climbers are intense, respect.

l am a climbing instructor for our local scout council, we have a nice indoor wall with 3 top belay anchors & 3 rappeling anchors.
BSA is where I originally learned [real rock] climbing, back when you could still climb / descend the cliffs at camp Falling Rock.

Back