Post Up Your NEW Gear ...

I didn't know that Arcteryx (AKA "Dead Bird" brand) was into the making of tactical gear! I believe they are marketed to the aid climbing community, who may spend quite a long time hanging from gear which inevitably ends up with your knees on the wall. It takes a toll on your climbing pants.

If they are priced according to their other pieces of gear, they got to be expensive as f....

Mikel

yes, the description states it's designed for ice climbers. price wasn't too bad at $55.

yes, the description states it's designed for ice climbers. price wasn't too bad at $55.

Let us know how you like the fit when they show up. I have 4 Arcteryx jackets and couldn’t be happier with the brand so when I saw these pads I was thinking about grabbing a set. Your input would be appreciated before I drop the cash.

Reactions: JV3
Let us know how you like the fit when they show up. I have 4 Arcteryx jackets and couldn’t be happier with the brand so when I saw these pads I was thinking about grabbing a set. Your input would be appreciated before I drop the cash.

fits very well and very lightweight.

late posting...my 3rd gen 5 g17 from last month - backup to the backup :)

sH9OenL.jpg

gen 5 g19 (i already installed the trijicon hd) plus extra mags right off the bat since the original 3 have defective springs (they won't lock back on empty) :(

OjdC8VL.jpg

Chanel lock looks handy. Would be nice if it had a cutter. Wouldn't be to hard to add to the design. That could live in a sheat on my belt. The skeleton handles look good and probably easier to clean

I've been buying up quality knives, pocket saws, multi-tools, and similar at a local auction house on the cheap as they become available.

20200922_064124.jpg
Beal Escaper (blue cord above) pictured with other "emergency" items I carry on hikes with any potential for vertical exposure (30' of 6mm Mammut rappel cord, sqwurel rappel device, micro traxion, etc)

gen 5 g19 (i already installed the trijicon hd) plus extra mags right off the bat since the original 3 have defective springs (they won't lock back on empty) :(

OjdC8VL.jpg
Love the HD sights. Have them on my three 17s.

My new light. Fenix LD30
wo03LzA.jpg

Reactions: JV3
View attachment 1423844
Beal Escaper (blue cord above) pictured with other "emergency" items I carry on hikes with any potential for vertical exposure (30' of 6mm Mammut rappel cord, sqwurel rappel device, micro traxion, etc)

Did you try the Beal Scaper? I have never seen one in action but seems like a nice addition to be able to rappel a full rope length when you are climbing with a single rope.

Mikel

Did you try the Beal Scaper? I have never seen one in action but seems like a nice addition to be able to rappel a full rope length when you are climbing with a single rope.

Mikel
I have only tested it indoors so far. Took about 12 pulls to release. Seems like it could be useful!

Hopefully the escaper won't freeze while you're abseiling otherwise it might be hard to retrieve . Or even worse, the dyneema wrap might not grab properly...

No pics, but was gifted a Solo Lite twig stove last Xmas and finally got a chance to try it out...kinda.

On a recent canoe trip to Adirondacks there was so much rain I didn't bother using it with twigs. Having experimented a bit with it I knew it could boil a quart fairly quickly with twigs, and wanted to see how it would do with a homemade tuna can alcohol stove placed on the burn grate. I tried this in the past and it ran way too hot, so whipped up a can that I thought would work better at higher surrounding temps.

Absolutely incredible - an ounce and a half of denat alcohol brought a quart and a half of cold water to a rolling boil in about 10 minutes flat, burning bright orange flame around the bottom of the pot. Normally this is good and bad, as it means the fire is hot, but also that your fuel is being burned at an accelerated rate.

That 1.5 ounces burned for an astonishing 27 minutes at decent output. Anyone who has tinkered with alcohol stoves can appreciate this type of performance, and it adds a lot of functionality since the stove can still be used to good effect in wet conditions. To top it off - the tuna can can nest in the upturned pot rest when not in use, it doesn't even add to the bulk when broken down (I did have to bend the tips of the pot rest supports over to get it to fit).

The alcohol stove I used has pretty small ports directly on the top of the can, and not many - anemic under normal conditions. If you try to use a design that works well in open air or with just a loose windscreen, it will definitely burn too hot when running in the Solo stove.

No pics, but was gifted a Solo Lite twig stove last Xmas and finally got a chance to try it out...kinda.

On a recent canoe trip to Adirondacks there was so much rain I didn't bother using it with twigs. Having experimented a bit with it I knew it could boil a quart fairly quickly with twigs, and wanted to see how it would do with a homemade tuna can alcohol stove placed on the burn grate. I tried this in the past and it ran way too hot, so whipped up a can that I thought would work better at higher surrounding temps.

Absolutely incredible - an ounce and a half of denat alcohol brought a quart and a half of cold water to a rolling boil in about 10 minutes flat, burning bright orange flame around the bottom of the pot. Normally this is good and bad, as it means the fire is hot, but also that your fuel is being burned at an accelerated rate.

That 1.5 ounces burned for an astonishing 27 minutes at decent output. Anyone who has tinkered with alcohol stoves can appreciate this type of performance, and it adds a lot of functionality since the stove can still be used to good effect in wet conditions. To top it off - the tuna can can nest in the upturned pot rest when not in use, it doesn't even add to the bulk when broken down (I did have to bend the tips of the pot rest supports over to get it to fit).

The alcohol stove I used has pretty small ports directly on the top of the can, and not many - anemic under normal conditions. If you try to use a design that works well in open air or with just a loose windscreen, it will definitely burn too hot when running in the Solo stove.

So as a follow up I tried this setup with just an open tuna can. Reason being most of the more creative alcohol stove designs exist to preheat and/or pressurize the fuel - not needed if the stove environment supplies pre heated air.
An open tuna can with 1.5 ozs denat worked nearly as well as the vented chimney design, burned for 20 minutes and brought the pot to a rolling boil in 12.

Edit to add: heated 2quarts in a porcelain and steel pot, 3ozs burned 30 minutes. Rolling boil in 12 minutes.

Last edited:
Back