Post your 165's!

Yep, that was another 165 Craftsman variant stolen from my collection some time back. IIRC it had the elephant hide sheath with metal throat guard, and besides the hidden tang with brass pommel and screw, had bowling ball black Delrin handle. The blade was also etched, "Deerslayer - A.C.A. Edge".
That was a nice knife Codger. It still makes me mad when I think of what happened. :mad:

Yes, that sheath was special to the Sears American Eagle series, which included a bowie knife, the 165, and a folding hunter (25OT variant). And there was a 41OT variant of a bird and trout knife but I don't think that one had that type of sheath. The other three did. I believe the sheath contractor was in southern California. At one time I could remember the name, but when I searched the internet there was no longer any trace of that company. The sheaths are of an unusual design and are very stiff compared to most. Very nice example that you are showing. Thanks! There was another variant of the 165 sold by Sears also. It had a hidden tang and a brass buttplate like the 49'r series knives. Come to think of it, I am putting one of those up for sale tonight..er... someplace. ;)

tongueriver, I believe the sheath makers name was "EL SID"
note the "S" in Sid [not "C"]makes me laugh every time. But man what talent!:)

Cal -- Those 165's are WORKS OF ART!! AMAZING!! -- AND they have a cool story

The swirl work on the first one can look almost 3D

Will probably take a long time to get the deer guts out of that file work this coming Fall LOL!!

I going to ask Herman if I can get in line for a couple ram's horn specials
After changing up from the hard to find Sambar, Herman has really gotten the ram's horn down to a T

Also thinking of asking about getting one of the smaller folders that I like done in the white camel bone

Congrats To You and Well Done Herman!! :applause: WOW!!

-- Howie

Here's mine that I just picked up. Beautiful color and patina on both handle and blade that my old camera just does not capture. Really solid knife.

The sheath was old and had a bunch of who-knows-what at the bottom that I could not get out. I then remembered that the 165 has a similar shape and size to the Becker BK-15 and voila!

Here's a side by side. We all know who was first. :p

Thanks for the encouragement Codger to post a pic and resurface this awesome and historical thread.

Here's mine that I just picked up. Beautiful color and patina on both handle and blade that my old camera just does not capture. Really solid knife.

Thanks for the encouragement Codger to post a pic and resurface this awesome and historical thread.

Speaking of historical, I like to come back and visit this thread every now and again. When I returned this time I notice some of the images are gone? :(

Speaking of historical, I like to come back and visit this thread every now and again. When I returned this time I notice some of the images are gone? :(

That happens quite frequently when using photobucket. People shuffle their library of pictures around and poof the links no longer work for previous postings. I've done it a few times without realizing it.

That happens quite frequently when using photobucket. People shuffle their library of pictures around and poof the links no longer work for previous postings. I've done it a few times without realizing it.
Ah, Good ole photobucket. One of the reasons I use a paid subscription to fototime. Never loose anything in the shuffle. ;)
PS, thanks for the reply. :)

Speaking of photos, I'd better shut my trap and post some. :rolleyes:
Naked.
large.jpg

Dressed.
large.jpg

That is a damn good knife. Tell us what you cut with it when the season is over. Mastodon or turkey. Tipi poles or earmarking a mule. :thumbup:

This was my grandfathers 165, the handles were cracked, sheath mildewed and blade rusted when I found it and the bird and trout style knife which I believe to be schrade as well. I had the 165 reworked and my dad had the bird and trout knife fixed up as well.

This was my grandfathers 165, the handles were cracked, sheath mildewed and blade rusted when I found it and the bird and trout style knife which I believe to be schrade as well. I had the 165 reworked and my dad had the bird and trout knife fixed up as well.
I like the re-handle on the 165. :) Did you do it, or have it farmed out?

Back