Post your CRK carry knife for today.

Mti1ExS.jpg

I remember when I got my first 21, I traded for a small plain Jane double stud 21. I held it like it was made of glass. I would open it takin’ care not to flip it it open lest I void the warranty.

Titanium a wonder alloy, impervious to everything, near impossible to wear, bend or break. I remember thinking two things.

First was I’d have this knife forever.
Second, Sebenza was Zulu for work.

Then for nearly a month I was obsessed with the following compulsions and in no specific order:

Where’s my Sebenza? Oh crap did I just put something in the same pocket the Sebenza is in. Sebenza is Zulu for work.

Finally I found that first dreaded snail trail, it was small and you had to really look to see it but I knew it was there. I knew exactly where it was, I could feel it with my finger. Can any of you do that too? Any of you folks able to feel a 0.0000010 difference in the texture from a snail trail or an imperfection?

You’re Sebenza owners, of course you can.

Still I keep hearing that chant:” Sebenza is Zulu for work.”

A friend gets tired of hearing my rants about the knife and makes me a leather pocket sheath. I feel better, the knife is protected from my own clumsiness and the contents of my pockets.

I add my own lanyard to aid in retrieval from the pocket bottom. Months go by, I still do the pocket tap to locate and confirm the knife is where it should be, you know what o mean?

Then the awful day comes when you tap your pocket and the knife’s not there. The familiar silhouette is absent, pocket void of steel and ti.

Then there’s the joy of realizing it’s in the other pocket and you realize that maybe you obsess too much.

Yet the day does come, despite all your care, all your precautions the day comes when you’ve used the knife all day and upon wiping it off to return it to the sheath you notice them, snail trails.

Interstate highways is more like it but by that time the trails become character, the dings, badges of honor received in service of it's owners. A totem in ti tellin’ the history of its conservancy all the while I hear that chant, ”Sebenza means work in Zulu. “. Than I finally relax and I listen to the words and do what they say and use my Sebenza for work.

Here it is, after all the angst and worry, with all it's flaws laid bare. After all, Sebenza is Zulu for work and they're always happiest when they are workin'. In the end it's character, all they really are is battle scars.

PuQlyfX.jpg

LCE395f.jpg
Wonderful story! I have a LNIB PJ 21 Large incoming and I am very much looking forward to its acquiring, over the years to come, the beautiful natural patina that yours exhibits.

I have my first sebenza in hand. A lightly used small PJ 21. Truely a remarkable piece of engineering and craftsmanship. I took it apart, cleaned it and reassembled w/o clip or lanyard. Blade is centered, unbelievably smooth, lockup is perfect. Pretty amazing. I think I see what all the fuss is about. I am looking forward to getting familiar with it. I haven’t had a modern folder in many years. I don’t see myself wanting a different one after this.
KIgj8w2.jpg

Last edited:
The Sebenza also put an end to my search. Today's knife bro has many choices, but the Sebenza is for me. Now it's a question of getting the right variations.

I really appreciate that coming from the Damascus EDC MVP himself! You sir are an inspiration to many 👊

Just got this one in yesterday... As much as I prefer carrying a Sebenza, I'm gonna try to keep this in pocket to see how it ages.

tqxvwbe.jpg
Should be interesting! Very cool knife.

Back