• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Postal Packages

There are still some hiccups. I had 2 packages sitting in the distribution center at the same time. One got delivered and the other ones status is arriving late. Hmmmm
Had the same thing happen to me. More than once. And in all cases, they were both the small flat rate priority mail packages. Merrifield, VA distribution center. I think you have to take an IQ test to work there. No one over 100 allowed.

Yup. Until the folks that have and are implementing these changes are out, looks like the service we have seen in this thread is the new norm. New motto should be the opposite of the last one: "If there is the slightest problem, election, Holiday, Pandemic, anything unforeseen or totally predictable, expect our service to turn to garbage".

I've got two packages inbound today. Both have taken 5 days vs the expected 2-3. All because they played the "let's sit at the distro center for 3 days" game. I'm not entirely disappointed in this delivery time, but that is only because it is way better than the 2-3 weeks it has been in the past. Still though, priority mail is no longer that. They'll need to change the quoted time on that to match the reality. If you regularly tell me 2-3 days but it always ends up being 5 or more, that makes you a liar.

The last 4 months, UPS has not missed a single quoted delivery time. USPS as missed every single quote during that same time frame.

It's entirely a regional issue, all my usps packages inbound or outbound have been on time the last two weeks. I did notice that all the Flat Rate priority prices went up another 10 cents though.

Ahh.
Another article originated by a "journalist" that has no experience or qualifications who is paid by the Washington Post. In case some of you are unaware, the WP is owned by Jeff Bezos of Amazon fame. Gee, he and Amazon would have no interest in going back to what works best for them? God forbid the new pmg might want to raise packages rates to a more true cost based approach and help stop a certain company from keeping their improper low rates that you and I - the tax payers - subsidize.
Some of you are just so gullible or just don't understand the underlying details of how things work.
I get we are all not happy with service levels for the USPS in some areas, but please make sure you do your own study of what really goes on.

Ahh.
Another article originated by a "journalist" that has no experience or qualifications who is paid by the Washington Post. In case some of you are unaware, the WP is owned by Jeff Bezos of Amazon fame. Gee, he and Amazon would have no interest in going back to what works best for them? God forbid the new pmg might want to raise packages rates to a more true cost based approach and help stop a certain company from keeping their improper low rates that you and I - the tax payers - subsidize.
Some of you are just so gullible or just don't understand the underlying details of how things work.
I get we are all not happy with service levels for the USPS in some areas, but please make sure you do your own study of what really goes on.

Ahh.

:rolleyes:

I have mailed the same exact package to my brother 4 hours away 2 times now and USPS can't find his house. Last time had mom drop it off and she mailed a letter to him. He got the letter in a few days and a week later I got the package back. Gonna have to break down and ship it UPS or fedex, crap at this rate I might as well hand deliver it myself.

So update on my USPS packages. I’ve been sending packages out USPS priority. Currently all that I’ve sent have been on time or day early. Most of these had to go through the MA dc. Prior to this packages would be there 4+ day’s processing. It seems that DC has caught up on their backlog.

DeJoy is on his way out after smirking about how he can't be fired by the president. So the mail will return to normal

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/02/24/dejoy-hearing-usps-live-updates/
Glad to see things changing. Couldn't come soon enough! Never thought I'd long for the days of "just acceptable delivery times" of the past. What has been happening the last 6 months is ridiculous and is a direct result of plans this man has implemented.

I've got a package that is shipping through the Portland, Oregon distribution center. The last 5 packages that I have had go through there have ended up taking between 10-15 days, all but one was priority. I've had first class letters through there take up to a month. On every one of them the tracking says it arrives at the distro, never leaves, and then tracking shows it arrives at my distro 2 weeks later. These experiences have been throughout the last 6 months at different times (pre/post election, which Oregon has done by mail for over 20 years, and pre holidays) so the apologists can save the excuses.

Expected delivery was today, but it hasn't "departed" the Portland distro yet and the status is now the ever present "Arriving late".

DeJoy is on his way out after smirking about how he can't be fired by the president. So the mail will return to normal

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/02/24/dejoy-hearing-usps-live-updates/

Yeah look forward to the price to mail something to take a major hike and they postal service to go even deeper in the hole. I might not agree with how the idiot tried to get their budget under control I do agree something needs to be done. Not trying to be political but the left and right needs to quit fighting each other over power and fighting together to fix things.

Yeah look forward to the price to mail something to take a major hike and they postal service to go even deeper in the hole. I might not agree with how the idiot tried to get their budget under control I do agree something needs to be done. Not trying to be political but the left and right needs to quit fighting each other over power and fighting together to fix things.

And just what does DeJoy plan to do?

"The White House moved toward reasserting control of the U.S. Postal Service on Wednesday even as its Republican postmaster general defiantly told Congress he would press forward with plans to raise prices and slow the mail, brushing off calls for him to resign."

I'll settle for going back to the way things were...

Right now UPS, fedex, and even Amazon (if it isn't sold by Amazon with prime shipping, lots of people aren't buying) are laughing all the way to the bank with how things have been run. Shame.

...disappeared into some sort of postal service 4th dimensional void for a month and a half. I will say that the package was in surprisingly good condition when it reappeared...

Do not question the all-mighty powerful sorting methods of ye olde postal service machinery and magical logistic methods of the ever confusing USPS :p

And the IRS, with it's autonomous 1960s computers (vacuum tubes!) running COBOL 1, is in worse shape. A Center Director: "Our automated systems lose data routinely, the systems cannot apply the law; and the systems cannot consistently do arithmetic."

This insight resulted from a telephone call eventually transferred to this lady on the topic of a bill ("amount due; "owed"), stating in late 2018 that we had failed to report any income whatsoever for 2016. Having said we reorted no income, IRS also claimed we had reported four totally different totals of income for 2016, each one allegedly incorrect. (IRS insists that their bills are only suggestions. :cool:) In fact, we had reported not one of the claimed amounts and had reported our income correctly. A fifth communication from IRS said that we had overpaid, because IRS simply lost a $3,600 distribution for my 401K, a distribution reported to them by the 401K manager and reported with our 1040. :rolleyes:

In the end, despite five written staments from IRS officials that we owed nothing, the IRS computers would not stop grinding out threats, and we ran out of time to either pay or sue. We sued in U.S. Tax Court, and, when a trial date was set after ten more months, IRS voluntarily gave us an additional, trivial refund that we did not technically deserve and had not sought. (I regarded this check as very partial compensation for the expenses and hundreds of hours incurred fighting the IRS for two years.) The IRS proposed that the Court dismiss the case as "settled." The case was dismissed.

Don't blame the line employees. Congress in its general uselessness has refused for over thirty years to fund new computers or software and has cut their budget 7 out of the last eleven years, resulting in a loss of 1/3 of the IRS staff and leading to the defective automated systems running with no effective human oversight. Also, Congress keeps dumping more work on the steadily less-capable IRS: want to send out millions of "stimulus checks"? Have IRS do it. They are running years behind processing returns, leading to bills routinely sent to recapture refunds paid without actual processing of returns, as in our case: billed us for underreporting 2016 19 months after sending our correct refund.

"Artificial intelligence"is a strange term to apply to psychotic, sociopathic computers.

Last edited:
Back