• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Potential Scammer alert/stolen knife?

"What is PayPal’s policy on transactions that involve firearms?
We don’t allow PayPal members to buy or sell any kind of firearm, whether it’s in working order or not. The same goes for certain firearm parts and ammunition.

For example, using PayPal, you can’t buy or sell:

Any firearm, including rifles, shotguns, and handguns, whether they’re for sport and recreation, collectibles, or curio or relic firearms.

Firearm parts, including but not limited to receivers and frames, silencers, and kits designed to modify guns so that they fire automatically. High capacity magazines, multi-burst trigger activators, and camouflaging firearm containers are other items in this category.

Ammunition, including propellants like gunpowder or blank ammunition; ammunition or cartridge cases; and primers, bullets, or propellant powder designed for any firearm."

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/...-on-transactions-that-involve-firearms-FAQ585

Hey everyone, I have not heard anything besides for a "were are still reviewing" email (2 weeks ago), everytime I log into my paypal I see the little "you have an open case, click to resolve or see status", well just a minute ago I decided to click it for the first time in a few weeks and it simply went away? It doesn't even show up on my account. Odd but I will take it, gonna have to give them a call though tomorrow. No less thanks for the support everyone.

glad you didn't get screwed. hopefully it's a done deal and you get to keep your money.

Hey everyone, I have not heard anything besides for a "were are still reviewing" email (2 weeks ago), everytime I log into my paypal I see the little "you have an open case, click to resolve or see status", well just a minute ago I decided to click it for the first time in a few weeks and it simply went away? It doesn't even show up on my account. Odd but I will take it, gonna have to give them a call though tomorrow. No less thanks for the support everyone.

As long as you have your money, that's what matters. :thumbup:

After hearing all this I'm not selling to strangers via mail.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I work for a major bank and what experience I have regarding credit card or debit card claims flies 100% in the face of what this guy said. I know we have already positioned him as a scammer but maybe my experience can confirm it for any potential non-believers.

If someone has unauthorized purchases on either their credit card or their debit card, they call in and are asked to confirm their last X transactions. The ones they cannot confirm are then filed as claims and the chargeback goes through if they're found to be fraudulent. It's not a blanket chargeback. So, the owner of the account-based on my experience-would have had to declare the items fraudulent. Also, waiting months to file the claim is liable to get you laughed at by any bank you work with. The fine print of any credit card or checking account documentation declares that any claims must be done in a timely manner. So, in my opinion, this guy, or the owner of the card he used, called and declared the transaction to be fraudulent. I can't foresee a bank doing a blanket chargeback on everything purchased within a three month period. That would be insane.

And is the card holder reported the card missing on a given date? Or that he had not used the card after a given date?

And is the card holder reported the card missing on a given date? Or that he had not used the card after a given date?

We require specifics. So, a customer would call and say that their card was lost/stolen; the date is irrelevant. We would then go through a transaction authorization in which we list off every transaction that was done since the card was lost and if they say "no" to any transaction, then we submit a card claim for the given transaction. So, the date does matter somewhat, I guess. But we won't just make a blanket card claim for everything done after a certain point. Someone may have lost their card but they still could be making automatic bill payments or things like that, and doing a blanket claim could really disrupt their lives; even more so than they already have been.

Thx for the input yall.
He just emailed me

Him-On Feb 15, 2017, at 3:02 PM, michael tyler wrote:
Hahaha you're insane. This is happening to 10 other people right now and you're the only one acting this way. I'm not trying to screw you. I told you this would all be over in a day or two and im completely sorry for the inconvenience. If you continue on with this attitude you'll end up doing something you'll regret. They haven't even taken the money from your account, and they won't. It might say negative a certain amount, but they haven't taken anything from your account. Once again I'm truly sorry about all this, don't make me change my mind

Me:please explain where are my knives that were shipped to your address? Hackers use ghost address, not the person who they're hacking's address. It's very basic logic. Explain to me how somebody took over your ebay account and wanted to negotiate, direct me to your email of which you are still using? They hacked all 3 accounts And they just happen to want to thieve something you also collect, knives? You said Money sent and followed it with your name as a closing of the email, lol, some pretty elaborate hackers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is interesting that he opens this email with "Hahaha". He began one of his earlier correspondence in the same manner when he was telling you which knives he wanted. Seems like a scammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I seriously thought this was over. It appeared as if no disputes where even active when I logged in to my paypal account since my last post-present, then I just got this, ouch. Total buzzkill. Pretty drunk, must refrain from being an idiot.

service@paypal.com Today at 3:36 AM
To
Eric Esmond
Message body
Dear Eric Esmond, We received notice from the buyer's financial institution that Case ID PP-005-557..

Dear Eric Esmond,

We received notice from the buyer's financial institution that Case ID PP-005-557-592-917 has been decided in the buyer's favor.

Here are the case details:

Buyer's name: Michael Tyler
Buyer's email: mftyler33@gmail.com
Buyer's transaction ID: 1NU04815DN387671J
Your transaction ID: 4HG88395HE763361K
Transaction date: November 2, 2016
Transaction amount: $320.00 USD
Disputed amount: $329.58 USD
The disputed amount has been debited from your PayPal account because of the following reason(s):

This transaction was not marked as eligible for Seller Protection.
In addition, you have been debited a $20.00 USD chargeback fee.

We understand that you may not have been expecting this case. If the applied chargeback fee caused your PayPal account balance to go negative, please log in to your PayPal account and add money to your balance.

Thank you for your patience during this process. We appreciate your business.

You can find additional information and tips about buying and selling safely on our Business Resource Center. After you log in to your PayPal account, click Tools, and then click Business Resource Center under "Grow your business."

Sincerely,

PayPal

What.....The....Hell. Man I feel terrible for you. Are there any further steps you can take?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

There was another Tyler that was a scammed if I remember correctly. Is this the same one reincarnated? I think I remember seeing a pic of the dude in a thread...

After a quick search I only see Tyler DeWitt scammer but who knows if that's his last name. I'll do more digging later.

What a crock of crap.

What does a person have to do to be eligible for seller's protection? You were in the right, the buyer was lying asshat. WTF.

well that is just f'.....ed. excuse my edited language. all wrong. what options do you have still, any Sir?

Is pursuing it through law enforcement still an option, or is that already being pursued?

Never thought this would be the outcome.
What a trmendous crock!
👎🏼👎🏼

Back