Pottery Kilns as HT Ovens

Pottery kilns come across Craigslist all the time, some times they are free either due to bad heating elements of controllers. The elements are an an easy fix , the controllers are not a problem for me as I have built a few programmable heat controllers.

My question is would a pottery kiln make a decent heat treat oven? Most kilns are top opening and temps go to above 2000° so temperature is not a problem.

A newby here setting equipment up and always a scrounger.

Thanks
wade

Use the custom search engine in the Stickys. This is a regular topic, and there are dozens of past threads giving the few pros and the many cons of using a pottery kiln for knife HT.

Just to be clear, it can be done, but depending on the kiln type and condition, it may not be worthwhile.

Pottery kilns do well as the heating part of a small salt pot. Since I am assuming you are a new maker, salt pots are probably not in your near future ( they are professional equipment and dangerous if one is not qualified to use them).

As someone who has tried it, I wouldnt waste your time or money. Build a forge with PID to heat treat carbon steel and research how to build your own or save up and buy one

As someone who has tried it, I wouldnt waste your time or money. Build a forge with PID to heat treat carbon steel and research how to build your own or save up and buy one
So just because you tried and it don t work for you , nobody else should try to build HT oven from pottery kilns ? Give me that kiln and you will see what can be done :D

Before this gets into a heated discussion of the subject, remember that skill levels differ. Natlek has a machine shop and build most all of his equipment. Not everyone is as talented as he is and not all have the tools for the job.

I don t see any reason why pottery oven MUST be in vertical position if you use it for knife HT ? There is no wine inside to spill ? Simple stainless grille will work for rest for blade , even right in the middle of oven?

yWPWLSs.jpg

Back