Practical Functional Alternatives to Thick Wallets

Forgot to mention another plus to a thinner wallet: reduces risk of triggering “sciatica” depending where you carry it.
I agree. I try to remove my wallet when driving to reduce the differential pressures on my hip and spine. Clearly this is a problem that I have gradually developed over time. I can't drive normally for long periods of time without stopping to "stretch my legs".

I was looking at thinner bifold wallets with multiple card slots (House of Wallets website). I saw one that had 8 slots plus and ID area. This might work after dumping some of the unused stuff. I'm going to wait until I receive the passport holder/wallet that I ordered before making any more adjustments that cost money.

Last edited:
I recently went through this diemna myself.
Im still not 100 percent sure on my choice, but im getting used to it.
I went with this because i dont want a fanny pack, it takes me back to 1980, haha.
And i have found that over the years, what i carry has increased.
I also am trying carrying a fixed, and it gets strapped to the outside of this shoulder sling.
It hold everything i would carry, including handgun.
Now there is nothing in my pockets except my folding knife i carry every day.

Im not worried about leaving it somewhere, i have too many years behind me carry shit around and being paraniod about leaving it, that its second nature to grab everything. And i know ill never leave my handgun behind.

s-l1600.jpg

For those that carry your wallet in your back pocket please put it into your front pocket.
Messes up with your posture when sitting down and wears away the fabric on your pants alot faster.
I changed to a front pocket carry about 20years ago and haven't looked back.

Check out Orbit Key too to organise your keys.
Went from a massive jangle of keys to 3 with a bottle opener.
Front door, fly screen and letter box.
Anything else went into the same place as all the cards I don't use often.
Could even get rid of the bottle opener as much to my wife's disgust I use my wedding ring to pop the caps off now.

I had the same concern. I don't really like thick wallets but like to have all my stuff with me. So I just put up with it. The Wallet Jr. is my choice. Unique closure flap that is not velcro, holds many cards; I carry 12 and clear pocket on outside for ID. Also made in USA.
uWwTZlJh.jpg

WumDpm5h.jpg

HlocFaOh.jpg

I recently went through this diemna myself.
Im still not 100 percent sure on my choice, but im getting used to it.
I went with this because i dont want a fanny pack, it takes me back to 1980, haha.
And i have found that over the years, what i carry has increased.
I also am trying carrying a fixed, and it gets strapped to the outside of this shoulder sling.
It hold everything i would carry, including handgun.
Now there is nothing in my pockets except my folding knife i carry every day.

Im not worried about leaving it somewhere, i have too many years behind me carry shit around and being paraniod about leaving it, that its second nature to grab everything. And i know ill never leave my handgun behind.

s-l1600.jpg
I have the 5.11 version of that which I carry traveling and when I carry even more stuff. It doesn't have a pocket for a handgun with easy access, but I like the bag. It was one of my first considerations and still is an option. It would be a step for me to decide to carry the bag all the time, but it certainly would be handy for keeping things like a 8" tablet and cell phone inside.

Some years back we started making these Card Wallets.

Ru6lfc0.jpg

It was one of those deals where what useful can be made with some of our scrap leather? I went through my overly obese wallet and took out what I use regularly. It all fit in my new Card Wallet easily. I put that in my left front pocket and have not used my regular wallet since and its been years. Its in the safe. Didn't need all the crap I thought I did.

These things have become wildly popular. We sell a bunch of them. Couple just got opened up in this big order that went to Norway, bottom right in the pic ya can see our business card in it:

uXfz0da.jpg

All my friends have switched to these too. Had one take about 10 to work and he didn't bring any back. Brought some cash back though.

Some years back we started making these Card Wallets.

Ru6lfc0.jpg

It was one of those deals where what useful can be made with some of our scrap leather? I went through my overly obese wallet and took out what I use regularly. It all fit in my new Card Wallet easily. I put that in my left front pocket and have not used my regular wallet since and its been years. Its in the safe. Didn't need all the crap I thought I did.

These things have become wildly popular. We sell a bunch of them. Couple just got opened up in this big order that went to Norway, bottom right in the pic ya can see our business card in it:

uXfz0da.jpg

All my friends have switched to these too. Had one take about 10 to work and he didn't bring any back. Brought some cash back though.
just ordered one. the price was right to check it out. thanks for checking in dave.

My wife makes these and I think she has done some like that in the past. It wouldn't be a hard adaptation if needed.

My wife makes these and I think she has done some like that in the past. It wouldn't be a hard adaptation if needed.
I'm thinking.... ID slot, CC slot,+ other slot for $ or more cards..... Two slots is akin to the ID inserts that you find in regular store bought wallets. But three slots would be more useful I think and more compact than something that folds. However the folding does offer some security to the cards.

I'm thinking.... ID slot, CC slot,+ other slot for $ or more cards..... Two slots is akin to the ID inserts that you find in regular store bought wallets. But three slots would be more useful I think and more compact than something that folds. However the folding does offer some security to the cards.

Not sure how needed it would be. I just counted and I have 10 plastic cards (DL, ld, insurance, debit and CC etc) and five business cards in the main pocket. Keep cash in the front pocket but seldom carry much anymore.

Personally, I like my Spec Ops Brand T. H. E. Wallet Jr. I have have 2 in different colors and they're tough as nails and are quite comfortable in the pocket. I usually only wear cargo pants and it stays in my cargo pocket cause I drive a semi truck and sit long hours in the seat. I use the above company because they are good to active duty and Veterans and are USA MADE.

I've carried some type of shoulder bag since I was a teenager, preferring to keep any weight out of my pockets. Depending on where I'm going, I'll toss everything in a tote bag that may stay in the truck, except for a wallet headed into a store, or if I'm walking around town it will be a field bag worn cross-body. I went to a money clip last year, and recently got a snap wallet to keep that in. I always carry water and a few other essentials with me, and have found it easier to have a bag and keep it all in one place. Filson makes fields bags that work really well, and I like them more than nylon messenger bags, but they all work about the same. www.carryology.com has some good ideas also. My other main reason besides weight not in my pockets is having my hands always free. A field bag works for that purpose.
upload_2019-1-6_10-41-52.jpeg

Not sure how needed it would be. I just counted and I have 10 plastic cards (DL, ld, insurance, debit and CC etc) and five business cards in the main pocket. Keep cash in the front pocket but seldom carry much anymore.
That is certainly a thought. I was thinking more like 5 was practical in the slot? Thinking about keeping the ID stuff which in my case is two cards (DL and Carry Permit) and maybe insurance cards in one slot where you don't disturb them getting other stuff out in stores and so forth. This might be the partial answer to my thickness issue and ride with it a while and see how I feel about it.

Its a soft chap leather except for the front pocket. So it kind of stretches and conforms to what ya carry. I too have some cards that I'd just as not be seen everytime I pay for a sack of grain at Tractor Supply. Tend to carry those face down and the others face up. Never been a deal. I slide the whole pie out about a half inch and then can pick out what I want.

Here's a couple of pics of my own personal one. Several years on this one. Only one I've ever used.

tMAB2sz.jpg

TmqYf67.jpg

Q4vH1ak.jpg

That appears to be about the thickness of a deck of cards. That is a lot of stretch... Thanks for your info, experience, and insights.

Count me as another who's switched to a front pocket, card sleeve... I can't believe how much stuff accumulated in my wallet that I either didn't use or didn't need. Now it's paired down to just my DL, CCW, and 3 or 4 essential cards.

Just as a side note....
A few of you mentioned EDC bags, and keeping a firearm in there as well. I would like to just give you a friendly, cautionary reminder that this is not necessarily a wise idea. The most secure place for your pistol is on your body. Not only is it the quickest/easiest access, should you need it, but it is also the most secure from losing it to either theft or other separation of you and your bag. Carry as you want, but just keep in mind that thieves often target bags for snatch and grabs - not just women's purses. Also, should you be involved in an emergency of some sort (car accident, medical episode, etc), it's real easy for you to become separated from your bag, where it is at the mercy of a stranger who may, or may not be trustworthy.

Just something to think about.

Back