Practical Functional Alternatives to Thick Wallets

I am going to step back from this to assess my options although the responses have been great. I like to hear what other people do and most of us really don't want a big fat wallet in our back pocket. I hate motor cycle type wallets with the chain by the way. No body mentioned that one... Dave, I may be giving you a call on the leather slip in a couple weeks after I look at this passport case I am supposed to receive on Wednesday (slow Big River free shipping mode). I generally don't like the idea of two wallets. I do that with knives, but it is unnecessary with knives as far as my life goes. I just like knives.

Maxpedition makes a large wallet in terms of width but stays pretty thin. It takes up an entire rear pocket of jeans, but I like it.

Carry less stuff in your wallet. Put those businesscard numbers you need in your phone. All you should really need is a few cards and cash.

Also I always keep my wallet in my front pocket. First off its harder to steal and secondly it mean’s my butt doesn’t have to sit on it. If your wallet is even 1 inch thick even then you are still sitting crooked every day.

I have a wallet of course, but I also have a case for my phone that includes slots for several cards and has a place for some cash. Neither one replaces the other, but if I lose or forget one or the other, I still have i.d., money, etc.

It is a leather Case Mate for one of the big iPhones. Basically looks like what I used to use to cover my check book.

I had heard that you shouldn't keep a credit card next to a phone because it can demagnetize it but after 3 years being stuffed in a slot in the phone case so far so good.

I also had been looking for some way to carry everything together (fanny packs, passport wallets that you wear around your neck, small "man purses"). Never was really happy with any of them. I do have a small canvas bag I use when I'm on vacation to keep everything together. I am likely to be wearing shorts and a t-shirt on vacation and don't have as many ready pockets.

Maybe a vest?

I have too much stuff. I carried a card holder for a while, but outgrew it. My DoD CAC, business cards, insurance cards, a couple of credit cards. I use an 'Allett" wallet - the original. It stacks the cards perpendicularly to the fold, 2x side. So it's roughly half the thickness.
Allett_LeatherOriginal_Brown_Full_1024x.png

https://www.all-ett.com/collections/leather/products/leather-original-wallet

I bought one of these about 6 months ago and its wearing like iron. I've got 6 credit cards, d/l and insurance cards. went from a wallet about 2" thick to this. I still have my old wallet that has other very seldom used cards. I'm sold on this skinny minimalist wallet deal.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077CQXBWV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
liked this one too. had some features i was looking for, and the price was also right. now i get to compare and contrast .... :rolleyes:

I noticed my regular leather wallet was ripping out after a few years use. I notice that I carry way too much stuff in there. What is a practical alternative to this?

Man bag? I don't know if I would routinely carry something like this. Fanny pack/pouch? Perhaps. These things are kind of foreign to me. What have you all done to accomplish this?

I ordered what amounts to a passport case that you can wear around your neck or on your belt. I believe I can keep my smart phone inside this as well. It wasn't expensive, but I don't know if this will work. What I envision happening is that I want to reduce the wallet contents to a bear minimum, but have the option of carrying all the stuff that I normally have inside my wallet in a fashion that I am willing to do. Not sure what that means exactly.
You prolly got too mucho cashola in that old wallet. I can help you out a tad...brother?

I bet you can! :D The card slots were ripping out to the point that some of the stuff was loose. I do like to carry a bit of cashola however. That is generally not the problem however.

We are getting closer to a time when an actual wallet will be a thing of the past, some states already have digital driver's licenses. I can see more forms of ID being on a mobile device, especially with face or fingerprint recognition. MY ATM and CC are in my Apple Wallet and I no longer carry a physical ATM card. More retailers are accepting ApplePay or some form of pay app. I use ApplePay online and in person, it's easy and shields your actual credit card number from hackers.

From what I’ve read, the federal government does not mandate that businesses accept cash—apparently the States may—and I’ve been seeing more of the cashless debate in the press. (big boon to CC companies!) From one source:

“A growing number of small and midsize businesses are going cashless—accepting payments only by debit card, credit card or mobile wallet. The Los Angeles Times is one of several outlets reporting on the trend. Last year Visa held a “Cashless Challenge” giving $10,000 to each of 50 small business owners who went cashless. Winners were uniformly enthusiastic about the benefits of being cash-free.”

I have a card holder thing from trayvax that my best man got me as a gift at my bachelor's party years ago. It's treated me well as long as I don't carry change, which I don't. I will fold up paper money and strap it in there if needed.

I also have a small pocket organizer for knife, pen, flashlight. Beyond that, I pretty much always have a large messenger bag around in the car, at work, at home, etc. That allows me to keep things like larger pads of paper and multitools handy but not right on me.

I do really like travelers vests. The one I wear the most is a columbia silver ridge vest and then I have a duluth trading vest I got cheap used I use for playing out in the woods or working outside. The columbia vest is aimed at work with the idea that if I have my vest on I'm pretty much set for most tasks as long as eye and ear protection aren't needed.

We are getting closer to a time when an actual wallet will be a thing of the past, some states already have digital driver's licenses. I can see more forms of ID being on a mobile device, especially with face or fingerprint recognition. MY ATM and CC are in my Apple Wallet and I no longer carry a physical ATM card. More retailers are accepting ApplePay or some form of pay app. I use ApplePay online and in person, it's easy and shields your actual credit card number from hackers.
an interesting thought. maybe i need to look more into my mobile pay options....

an interesting thought. maybe i need to look more into my mobile pay options....

I would advise caution when considering apps, some do not protect your CC numbers. Look at those that can be loaded with funds without exposing your CC number to retailers. With ApplePay, which I'm more familiar with, the code sent to the near field device is only good for that particular transaction and exact amount, so even if a hacker gets that number it's no good to them. Look for that type of app.

I use a Vanquest VAULT 2.0 RFID-Blocking Security Wallet, has one card slot on the outside, one on the inside and one clear ID slot. Its 4.25 x 2.75 x .25. I keep my Drivers license & CFP in the ID slot, 2 debit cards and $100 cash in the inside slot and 2 insurance cards and AAA on the outside slot. I do have a secondary larger wallet in my bag with all my other gift cards, back up cash, membership cards etc., that I get into once every couple of months.

I would advise caution when considering apps, some do not protect your CC numbers. Look at those that can be loaded with funds without exposing your CC number to retailers. With ApplePay, which I'm more familiar with, the code sent to the near field device is only good for that particular transaction and exact amount, so even if a hacker gets that number it's no good to them. Look for that type of app.
thanks for the info.

I had a friend (passed away) that had a stuffed wallet. It fell apart when he walked into an elevator and half of his cards fell down the elevator shaft. I keep a business card directory at home and make sure my important contacts are on my phone. Also, you can take a picture of the business cards and keep them in a separate gallery on your phone instead of carrying.

Personally, I used to keep a bifold wallet with those plastic card holders inserted for all my cards (thick ones found on Amazon). It worked well for me until I decided to reduce it.

At one time I just used a money clip, but now a days, it seems I need more cards for this membership or that license. The money clip helps force you to minimize your items and helps you get used to not always having every single card all the time.

Now, I carry a Secrid wallet with the bill fold. 5 cards/ID's in the card holder, bills and receipts in the bill fold, insurance and business cards in the leather pockets.

I have the mini cards that go on key rings (on my key ring) for my gym and other memberships. The Secrid wallet (bifold; non button flap) is also just the right size and shape to fit and stabilize my Buck 110 or BM 570 next to it in my back pocket.

Side note:
My carry configuration is keys/keyring items, lip balm, and pen in right front pocket, car key/fob in watch pocket, wallet + knife right rear, notepad + flashlight left rear, odds and ends left front (right now salt nic, 10' tape measure, and BT earpiece), left side belt phone holster with phone and mini first aid kit, right side belt holster LM Juice and dedicated knife (knife depends on my cutting needs on that particular day; I swap my dedicated knife from my back pocket to a belt sheath now and then).

Back