Praise for the Case Slimline Trapper!

BMCGear

Gold Member
The past few years I've been carrying modern liner locks (mainly Kershaw's). Nothing wrong with them but I went back to my roots and started carrying traditional folders again. Always been a fan of Case so I started carrying my Sodbuster again (full size) and decided to buy a Trapper. These knives were killing me though. They were both heavy and bulky (especially in the office where I wear khakis). At Christmas my old man had given me a Case Saddlehorn and American Workman Slimline trapper. I had put both of them up; the saddlehorn was way too small for my big mittens and the Slimline Trapper while plenty long enough was too slim (so I thought). I ended up putting the slimline in my pocket one morning a few weeks ago and since that day I haven't been able to take it out. Really love this pattern of knife. I have a Sodbuster and a fixed blade or two laying around if some serious cutting is required. As far as an everyday carry pocket knife; it doesn't get any better than this IMO. I call it my pocket scalpel. I've also got a couple more headed my way to try out. :)

IMG_20140225_100746_zpstq32sbt8.jpg

count me in as one of those that love the slimline. I like how the full grip and good sized blade disappear in the pocket. it makes a great picnic/utility knife. plus, no case collection can be without a trapper. Here is an old, not so good picture of my yellow slimline:

1d7b6db5-90f3-481f-9497-de90b8340393_zps7cc4fce9.jpg

This is probably my favourite pattern from CASE. A knife for all hands actually as it seems to suit small or large hands, it aint heavy either and it's a great carry. Versatile, in that it can do a lot of tasks especially food prep. A kind of American Laguiole in some ways and they can be really fine knives.

I prefer the Barehead version and have Yellow D, Brown D, Black G-10 (works really well on this pattern) I had a Bermuda Green with end cap but gave it away here. Really like it if they did it in Chestnut Bone too...dreams.

Even though I admire Queen knives in their Carved Bone and D2, I prefer the CASE knife over the Queen Utility, GEC's 48 is a fine knife too but somehow the CASE with its no pretentions is lighter and more useful (no half stop either yippee!)

I use this one in stainless steel as a more-or-less dedicated food prep/apple slicer knife. I leave it in a pocket of my work bag and use it for those times when I need the long slim blade and an easy cleanup. That probably makes it my most carried knife, even though I don't use it that often.

I have one in yellow delrin and cv that I have had/used for over 36 years. It's a great EDC and I have used it for everything imaginable. I also have a new one just like it that I'm using occasionally until I retire its predecessor.

I have one in yellow delrin and cv that I have had/used for over 36 years. It's a great EDC and I have used it for everything imaginable. I also have a new one just like it that I'm using occasionally until I retire its predecessor.

I believe one of your posts was one of the ones to push me over the edge to give mine a try. I was researching pocket knives for EDC and found a thread on the Slimline and read your review of yours. I love my knife. :)

Also, I think I like the barehead version the best but I would be open to a double bolster edition.

Hard to beat a Trapper, even full sized one, as a regular carry at work especially if you wear dress pants vs jeans. I still have a preference for the two bladed versions myself. I like to keep one blade really sharp for "special needs" and use the other one.

Ive always wanted one of these in CV just never got around to picking one up.

You should pick one up. :)

Hard to beat a Trapper, even full sized one, as a regular carry at work especially if you wear dress pants vs jeans. I still have a preference for the two bladed versions myself. I like to keep one blade really sharp for "special needs" and use the other one.

2 blade trapper is a bit too bulky for me.

under rated knife I think!! im making one now (not for sale) well its 2/3 made but im busy with work so have to wait a while to finish

2 blade trapper is a bit too bulky for me.

Guess that's why they make the two versions. My EDC slip joint is a 2-bladed #42 GEC Missouri Trapper. Would prefer the #23, but it carries the weight thing to the belt pouch level for me.

Slimline trapper is my favorite traditional pattern, particularly the barehead version. This is one that Case has down pat.

At one time I collected a few. I kept a couple of these, but traded the rest away. (And I removed all those annoying labels!)

I used to carry the bottom one regularly. I kinda miss it!!

slimtrappers048_zps0a4b8b42.jpg

At one time I collected a few. I kept a couple of these, but traded the rest away. (And I removed all those annoying labels!)

I used to carry the bottom one regularly. I kinda miss it!!

slimtrappers048_zps0a4b8b42.jpg

I'm quite satisfied with my two in yellow delrin, but the red bone on one in the center of your foto is just over the top! Beeeeeeutiful!

Back