Pre-Heat Treat Edge Thickness

In the process of making some different type of knives (camp knife, mini bowie, etc...). Previously I had taken my edges down to approx dime thickness before heat treating. I'll probably end up doing the same on these new blades. However, post heat treat, how thin do I take the edge before sharpening? I'm guessing that with more utility type knives (camp knife) I want to leave the edge a bit thicker than say a skinning knife. For the skinning knives, I would take the edge to darn near sharp up to a 360grit Trizac belt. After that I would sharpen the edge to a 20-22 degrees angle on my Wicked Edge Sharpener. With a utility type knife, would I leave that edge a bit thicker and then take it to the Wicked Edge and put a 25-30 degree micro bevel on it? It just seems that if I treat it like I do my skinning knives, the edge would be so thin that I would get some edge roll with heavy use. Hope all that makes sense...

Sounds like you are on the right track. The precise numbers could depend on the type of steel, heat treat, and expected use.
For personal use I might take it thinner than if I were selling it (although that's an important balance since you want it to perform).

There isn't a single number. Best method is to make it too thin and test the edge, if it is good keep it there. If it is chippy, sharpen it back a tad and test again.

There isn't a single number. Best method is to make it too thin and test the edge, if it is good keep it there. If it is chippy, sharpen it back a tad and test again.

When you say sharpen it back a tad, do you mean go to a higher micro bevel angle (20 to 25 degrees) or take it back to the grinder and make the edge a tad thicker and then resharpen it?

Sounds like you are on the right track. The precise numbers could depend on the type of steel, heat treat, and expected use.
For personal use I might take it thinner than if I were selling it (although that's an important balance since you want it to perform).

I am using 3/16" O1 heat treated in a kiln and quenched in Parks AAA if that helps. Will be a camp knife, so light chopping, etc..

When you say sharpen it back a tad, do you mean go to a higher micro bevel angle (20 to 25 degrees) or take it back to the grinder and make the edge a tad thicker and then resharpen it?

Just sharpen at the same angle you used before. The more you sharpen, the thicker the edge becomes.

Back