• Raptor - OAL 8 3/16”", Blade 4 1/8’"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • (K2) Raptor - OAL 8 3/16”", Blade 4 1/8’"

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • (K) Apache - OAL 8 3/4”", Blade 4 1/4”"

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just wanted to throw this idea out there!
I haved bounced this off of a few of you guy's in private discussions, and I wanted to get a concensius of the amount of intrest in it.

I think this would be a good compromise to custom orders.

The idea is to offer a certain model in a few different basic handles variations, if there is enough intrest I will give it a try and see how it goes with a small batch. I think it would be a good way to supplement and allow me some more creative time with handle and blade designs. Instead of guessing what you guys want and having knives sit for very long, which knock on wood has not been a problem yet!

I am open to feedback a suggestions so let me know what you guys think!

Chris Linton
Osprey Knife & Tool

See my reply later in the thread for more details!!

Last edited:
I think that this concept has merit. With that said, I am not clear what your goal is for doing it. Are you trying to produce an entry level price point base version of existing models? Are you trying to simplify production by making a larger batch of knives with plain black, natural, or green micarta for example? I guess these questions are my way of saying that I would like to hear a little more detail from you about where you want to go with this idea.

Thanks Chris!

Phil

I'd be interested as I never seem to remember or have run out of money when your knives become available. I think one offs of a model in terms of a swedge here or there, limited cover would really get my interest

I think that this concept has merit. With that said, I am not clear what your goal is for doing it. Are you trying to produce an entry level price point base version of existing models? Are you trying to simplify production by making a larger batch of knives with plain black, natural, or green micarta for example? I guess these questions are my way of saying that I would like to hear a little more detail from you about where you want to go with this idea.

Thanks Chris!

Phil

Those are all good questions Phil, I will elaborate a little more when I get home from work tonight.
But you are pretty close with those guesses!

Thanks Chris!

Phil

I too would like to hear more on this!

I’m interested in hearing details too.

Here is the general Idea, and depending on you guys feedback and replies it is open to change a little.

• I would like to offer one maybe two particular models at a time for pre-order once a month.
  • I am pretty sure I can handle 8-12 knives with a 2-3 week turnaround time. This is a little less than half my production capacity at the moment in a given month.
  • I think at the moment I would require a 20% deposit. (Example on a $285.00 knife a deposit would be roughly $60) The rest would be paid in full when the blades are completed prior to delivery.
  • Based on interest on a particular model would dictate which ones I would do first and how many.
  • I would like to offer a few different handle material choices, G10's, Micartas (Sandblasted)
  • Your choice of liner material and pinstripe, or commando.
  • Your choice of pin material and lanyard tube material.
  • Your choice of pin layout between the 4 smaller pins or the two larger pins.

I also plan on teaming up with a sheath maker to offer an optional sheath as well.

To answer your questions more specifically Comprehensivist Comprehensivist
Yes to both of those questions in a nutshell, even though I have not opened my books in over 2 years I still have a substantial demand for custom work.
All out custom orders take time to coordinate, communicate, plan and execute based on material availability, and workflow, custom orders also take me away from selling in the public as well.
I am not saying at all that I do not like doing custom orders but they are definitely more time consuming, especially the more elaborate ones. I feel this is a sort of compromise in that area but not my main reason for wanting to try this. I see a demand for certain configurations and models. I believe this will work in the customer and my favor.

In the customer's favor it would allow one to choose their configuration in a limited nature. Allowing one not to have to wait for a particular handle configuration to come around in relative terms. Guaranteed delivery of the knife you want with a quick turn around. More accessibility for those who do not favor the current sales platform for whatever reason. Work in progress pics in a dedicated thread so you guys can see you knives being constructed.

In my favor, it would allow me to up my production by streamlining production, it is easier and quicker for me to make batches of the same model. It also allows me to be more consistent when making multiple knives. This would also help me cut down on materials sitting around and allow quicker turn around on my material investment. It would help give both the customer and I the maker a little bit more predictability.

I feel this is a win win situation for me the maker and you the customer.

All that being said, I do not plan to abandoned making knives and handle combination of my choice, I would like to do one pre-order a month and the rest of my production would be my choice of blade profile and handle material/design. Probably just one sales thread month of my choice in the later part and the pre orders during the first half of the month.

I plan on writing a separate thread in a few days with a few polls to gauge interest in Blade profiles and handle materials.

I would appreciate any opinions and feedback!

Thank you!
Chris Linton
Osprey Knife & Tool

Last edited:
Like the idea Chris. I’ll be in for the right model..

Sheaths would be good as well. I think all custom fixed blades should have a sheath option.

I like it Chris! I’m in. I also agree the sheath option is a great idea. One last question (and I hope I did not overlook it), how will the thread be presented for us to take the opportunity to enlist on the pre-order option. Will it be an unlocked thread at a specific time and the first (how ever many is offered) gets a spot? Then details follow? Thanks Chris.

Thanks for elaborating on your idea Chris. A standardized blade choice for you with some limited handle options to appeal to the buyers color preferences sounds like a winning combo. I look forward to seeing what model and options you offer on the first batch.

One other comment I will throw out there is more information and marketing related. A while back in another thread, @adequacy suggested it would be nice if you would tell us in your words how each model came about. Information like; when that model was designed?, what primary use(s) was it designed for?, why this overall size and handle/blade shape?, etc. You get the idea. Since you would only be highlighting one model a month, that would be a great time to provide this information without it becoming an overwhelming task to do all at once. As you cycle through various models in future months, you will build up a library of information that will help new and continuing customers alike.

Good luck with all your endeavors Chris. Exciting times ahead.

Phil

Last edited:
I like it Chris! I’m in. I also agree the sheath option is a great idea. One last question (and I hope I did not overlook it), how will the thread be presented for us to take the opportunity to enlist on the pre-order option. Will it be an unlocked thread at a specific time and the first (how ever many is offered) gets a spot? Then details follow? Thanks Chris.

The sheath option will be nice. I wish I had one for my Nomad!

I look forward to your answers to Choppaman. Obviously some models will be desired and some not, and securing a spot for a knife you want in the month it’s highlighted is important.

Chris, it's great to see all these responses, and excellent questions. My initial reply was brief and without any questions. That's how it goes in my business. Fortunately just about all my questions and even some I hadn't thought of were brought out. I do have a question or two based on my want for a particular knife that we've briefly talked about.

#1. Will wood, presentation grade and otherwise be included as an option?
#2 Will there be an option for some customization on the sheaths themselves?
#3 This might be too much and probably is, but I have to ask...Would you consider serializing the customs? IE 01, 02, etc

Back