Preferred 940 Steel

Which Steel do you prefer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So I have narrowed by decision to either the 940-2002, or wait for the BladeHQ M4 Version. I don't have a ton of experience with either steel.

I have no issues with high carbon steels so maintenance isn't an issue. The M4 is coated anyway.

This will be an EDC and duty carry knife. It will be used for everything from cutting up cardboard boxes, to slicing cake.

I don't want sharpening to be an issue, but I do take care of my tools. I am not planning on reprofiling, but is there a huge difference in them? Typically as soon as my blade start loosing it's bite, I will clean them up. I never let my blades get dull, and touch them up if I have had a long day with them. I do strop my blades pretty regularly as well even when they have only seen light use.

So which one is goin going to fit best. I have a feeling the answer will be either. Price wise, I can pick up a 2002 locally from a dealer here for about $20 more than the HQ version with shipping, so price isn't a deciding factor. I can however pick up the 20cv 2002 version right now, and who knows when the M4 version will be released.

Decisions.......decisions

TXPO

I vote for M4. As long as you keep on top of the edge maintenance like you said its easy to keep it sharp. M4 is a beast when it comes to toughness and edge retention, just don't leave it out in the rain ;).

20VC:

I prefer stainless. It’s easier to maintain when in humidity, rain or snow.

I love M4. So I vote M4. But I have Benchmades in 20cv as well and it is excellent. Don't think you can go wrong!

I am happy with S90V on my 940-1.

Well found a NIB sealed 2018 production 940-1 that the dealer made me a smoking deal on. So my 940-2 found a new home, and the 940-1 took it's place. I'll pass on the 20cv for now, and pick up a BHQ M4 version when they drop.

TXPO

940-1 and s90v IS SWEET! My 940 20cv is amazing, I love it so much I've got plans / designs / parts / talent archive on modding to grail, one ring to rule them all status. Including rockwell, re-heat treat / thinning and hollow grind. Donor bones are heirloom. How many tubes sing praises over large time spans? Alot. Mine is currently at 2.33 oz and I think chasing 2.2 is realistic without going to unobainium:)...

Honestly, the S30V is no slouch...I carried one for the better part of 6 years. During the end of my service in the military to new construction plumbing. I cut mre boxes down, thick canvas material, zip ties, fabric of all kinds, thick foam, rubber gaskets, reamed copper tube, used it as a scissor to cut electrical wire...once I locked myself out of my apartment and pryed the wooden trim away from the door to gain access to the latch, used the tip to move the latch so the door would open...never had an issue or ever felt wanting of a better steel....or knife for that matter. I left it in a bar that burnt down by where I live. I later bought a new one that I have yet to use for sentimental reasons I guess. Like getting a new dog or something after your old one dies...man this has really traveled far from m4 vs 20cv....sorry haha

I would have suggested S90 rather than either of your choices but I see that’s what you got. Personally I’d like an S90V 943 but I guess that’s not going to happen any more.

I would have suggested S90 rather than either of your choices but I see that’s what you got. Personally I’d like an S90V 943 but I guess that’s not going to happen any more.

This is my first run with S90, and so far I am very impressed. I'm not a hard user, but after about a week of my usual cutting tasks around work, my S30's always needed a touch up. I'll see how this S90 fares. I still plan on picking up one of the BHQ M4 versions.

I have also heard, although can't confirm, that the 940, and possibly the 945 will be headed to the customizer. Our rep at Benchmade, we got assigned a rep, since out department ordered 65 custom BK-2's, said she knew something was going to show up in the customizer, but wouldn't tell me what. She did say it was one of their more popular designs, and had been around a while.

Seeing as how the Grip is already in there, the 940 makes sense. Especially being the 20th anniversary of the design. Benchmade has also been pushing a lot of 940 variants out this year, including the 945. I would be more surprised if it didn't make it in there.

TXPO

Well, I didn't vote (just saw this poll), but I prefer 20CV. IME, it has tended to hold a razor edge (in my useage) longer than the M4. I know that seems crazy, but just my experience. I have 20CV is multiple Benchmades, M4 in a couple (including the Super Freek). Love the Super Freek, even in M4. Well, especially in M4. But I'd opt for 20CV in anything over M4. YMMV.

Back