Preferred blade grinds, hollow, flat, compound, etc.

Full flat is in first place with me.
Keep in mind my first REAL knife was a Buck 110 back in 1982. Hollow ground. From there I went to full flat and thinner and didn't look back.
Many of my Case knives including many, many Trappers are hollow grind.
I put up with it.
All you have to do is slice up an apple and you will see why I don't like hollow grind. Not only does the spine hang up once it gets that far into the cut (apple , cardboard, any thing with some depth) but then the hollow controls the cut direction. Don't believe me ? Just look at the slices they will be concave and convex. Just try to cut a flat slice through an apple with a hollow ground blade . . . I double dog dare you.

Of late I have been experimenting with a convexed blade I ground myself from a Cold Steel Ti Lite IV. I took the spine down to 1mm and the middle section is at about 2.5mm and I will take that down to about 2mm soon.
This should be even more controllable than a full flat grind. I full flat ground a Ti Lite to 1.9mm at the spine and LOVE IT !

Sure go thin behind the edge, real thin, but don't ask me to use a knife with that thick ridge at the spine. Pointless thing.
Well . . . it looks good for the magazine photos . . . other than that nah dude, nah.

If you want to test it with some folders, cut some cheese. You’ll see what I’m talking about.
Yuuuuuuup
or apples etc.
My Buck 110 does some crazy shunts to one side while cutting up huge double wall cardboard boxes. It's almost comical.

I prefer a very high hollow grind with a thin edge and reasonably thin stock. I also like FFGs.

I've never believed the theory that hollow grinds bind appreciably worse at the grind shoulder than a comparable flat grind, as the difference in inclusive angle at the shoulder is a few degrees and you make up for it by having substantially less material in the way of the cut medium throughout the rest of the blade.

In my context of use, these could have been exactly my words.

ZRQzr45.jpg

Laconico Semi Custom Jasmine on top. High, deep hollow. It takes a lot of blade to get above .020”, and the shoulder is at .015”. Very stable factory edge, so I haven’t had to drop it back. It’s going to be a great cutter for many years to come.

Yuuuuuuup
or apples etc.
My Buck 110 does some crazy shunts to one side while cutting up huge double wall cardboard boxes. It's almost comical.
My buck 110 slim pro was doing that on cardboard the other day but was quickly fixed after I just held my arm straight while cutting

Full flat with convex is my favorite for most applications. Hollow is good as well.

I can't stand hollow grinds. Same apple/cheese reasons.

I like a FFG or a sabre if I'm cutting meat (doesn't stick to the sides like an FFG)

Since I first became interested in knives, my favorite has always been the saber grind. Now it's just evolved to a saber with a convex edge.

I like hollow grind but I prefer full flat because they are generally a bit easier to modify (like full flat zero grind with micro bevel).

Yuuuuuuup
or apples etc.

Yup. My stock 110s do the same thing. My flattened and thinned 110 slices like crazy though. Apples, cardboard, potatoes... much better.

Don't like hollow. Same apple, cardboard reasons as everyone else. FFG thin behind the edge or I don't bother.

I like compound grinds because you get the best of both worlds if done right... strong tip, slicey rear portion

i-Qrtb3jP-X2.jpg

Esp. w/ a nightmare grind,

i-V7wvdz7-X2.jpg
i-cgx2KMZ-4K.jpg

Hollows are nice too... flat would probably be my last choice. Hollow take longer to thicken up behind the edge after repeated sharpening, and cut really well. Plus they look cool ;) A flat grind can cut pretty much as well as a hollow if set up right, but I prefer hollow if possible.

xm18-X3.jpg
xm18_3-X3.jpg

I like full flat grind or even a very subtle convex grind best, followed by Scandi. But I would take a straight up hollow over a compound.

High or full hollow grind (large diameter wheel) for a dedicated slicer/general utility blade.

Full flat grind for kitchen knives for larger, more "heavy duty" blades.

Convex for machetes, axes or large choppers.

Last edited:
I like compound grinds because you get the best of both worlds if done right... strong tip, slicey rear portion

i-Qrtb3jP-X2.jpg

i-V7wvdz7-X2.jpg
i-cgx2KMZ-4K.jpg

Hollows are nice too... flat would probably be my last choice. Hollow take longer to thicken up behind the edge after repeated sharpening, and cut really well. Plus they look cool ;) A flat grind can cut pretty much as well as a hollow if set up right, but I prefer hollow if possible.

xm18-X3.jpg
xm18_3-X3.jpg
I always thought you had a thing for flat grinds ;)
IMG_3226 2.jpg

I like hollow for the slicing and the looks. Full flat is good too but most factory knives are ground thicker than I like.

i-Qrtb3jP-X2.jpg

i-V7wvdz7-X2.jpg
i-cgx2KMZ-4K.jpg

xm18-X3.jpg
xm18_3-X3.jpg
Love the look of that nirvana :)

Oh I do still love a nice thin full flat grind :) it's just that I get spoiled I guess with all the options :D nice to see you still carrying that thing! Hope it's holding up well!
It's been great. Has taught me to be a bit more precise when using though!

Back