Premier quality Goldenberg tool identification

Just out of curiosity, what sort of tools was it found with? Some context might help to discover what it was used for...
This most likely came to the US from Germany by way of my wife’s great grandfather Rupert. It was hung on a pegboard with a plethora of common modern hand tools. No additional context.

I think this is called une batte à côtelettes used to cut and tenderize meat.
I had noticed the similarity to a modern double bladed cleaver. However I was convinced that it was a wood working tool due to the company’s connection to axes. your comment has me thinking that this is the most likely explanation.

This also explains why the handle resembles a cast iron frying pan handle.
It reminds me of a batte de vannier handle. Probably the material is softer than what's needed to maintain a keen edge. S'why it sharpened up with so little effort. In fact the long edged sides are not for cutting but giving pointed blows and ought to be rounded, the flat back-side used to break up the cells of the meat so it doesn't shrivel in the frying pan.

Ufzdk8K.jpg

Bob

It reminds me of a batte de vannier handle. Probably the material is softer than what's needed to maintain a keen edge. S'why it sharpened up with so little effort. In fact the long edged sides are not for cutting but giving pointed blows and ought to be rounded, the flat back-side used to break up the cells of the meat so it doesn't shrivel in the frying pan.
I exaggerated when I said 10 minutes. It took about 150 strokes w steady pressure along the length of each surface w a good bastard file followed up w about 10-15 minutes of honing through 3 grits of diamond stone. I left in some nicks that would have taken appreciatively longer to remove. The time and effort expended were in keeping w the time required in maintaining the edges on my planes and chisels. It is good quality steel.

Last edited:
Ernest, you may have the answer. I looked up “vannier “ and found that it meant “basket weaver”. It didn’t make sense to me but I reached out to my father-in-law’s sister and it turns out that her grandfather was a wire weaver! I think that the tool was not meant to be sharp edged but rather used to tighten the weave in cable making!

Yankee Josh. Thank you for your input. I’ll try to figure it out. I’m so clueless on this type of forum that I accidentally deleted your reply!
It originally had good edges to it. I just took a bastard file and 3 different grits of diamond stone to the tool. By its shape I believe that it may be for cleaving off pieces of kindling from seasoned firewood. I tried it out on a piece of old 4x4 and it works like a dream. If I can figure out photo posting , I’ll include a video.
Hey man I'm glad you got your answers! You didn't delete my comment. Haha:). I did. I no sooner posted it and you reposted with a great description. :thumbsup:. Glad you got it all figured out. :D:D

I once made such a battering implement for preparing dried hams with the same intention in mind which I call "batte de jambone" or "ham slapper".:)

Back