Prepare For The SYKCO Alpha Dog 6. . . INFI & Resiprene C. . .Wednesday, May 8, 2019 9:00pm Eastern!

Thinking I'm going to pass on this one. Even though I've come to really like Resciprene (stuff is tougher than old steel-belted tires), I NEED another 6-inch blade like I need another hole in my head. And between the DS6, the NFNO, TG-M, and A2TG-M, I've got the 6" range pretty well locked up. 'Course the same could be said for the 8" range. But having just shelled out for the NFSH, the NFNO, the NFBA, and the HR2, combined with the plothora of 6" blades I have.... yeah... gonna sit this one out. Glad they didn't offer it in Comp or BIG Satin. Those would have been incredibly difficult to say no to.

Should be close to a basic 6?...Actually almost identical to the original Dog Soldier 6 !!

IMG_8448.jpg

Dog%20Soldier%201%20Pic-X4.jpg

Last edited:
Very close but no cigar for me... I hate choils.:(
I agree about the choils. Not sure why they continue to make every blade with one. Can someone educate me on the benefits of them? I understand the "choking up" idea but why choke up when you can hold on to the handle? It seems so many knife makers mess up the area between the blade and the handle. It would be great to have a very minimal ricasso and have the sharpened blade as close to the handle as possible. A sharpening choil would be nice but anyone could add that if they wanted. Maybe I am missing something but I see Bark River do it on several of their knives and thy look great and function great. No need to "choke up". Hey Jerry, can you make some in this series without a choil and see what happens? You may be surprised how many would choose the no choil option.

Today is the day! We are in the 11th hour. 11 hours to go, is that what that means? Mmmmmmm Res-C and bacon! I feel like a dog salivating for that meat! GrrrrrrrrrRufff!!! Gimme some:mad:

I agree about the choils. Not sure why they continue to make every blade with one. Can someone educate me on the benefits of them? I understand the "choking up" idea but why choke up when you can hold on to the handle? It seems so many knife makers mess up the area between the blade and the handle. It would be great to have a very minimal ricasso and have the sharpened blade as close to the handle as possible. A sharpening choil would be nice but anyone could add that if they wanted. Maybe I am missing something but I see Bark River do it on several of their knives and thy look great and function great. No need to "choke up". Hey Jerry, can you make some in this series without a choil and see what happens? You may be surprised how many would choose the no choil option.
I do not like large choils …
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/dog-soldier-questions.1635449/page-2#post-18700254
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/dog-soldier-questions.1635449/page-3#post-18702594

Why a choil …
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/choil-haters-take-note.1513490/#post-17380758
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/basic-10-choil-or-no-choil.881410/page-2#post-9999681

Choil-less option will not happen …
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/choil-haters-take-note.1513490/
"We currently, have no plans to offer a "choil-less" version of any of our upcoming models." :(
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...dger-attack-ergo.1352999/page-3#post-15558414
"Also, when we have offered a choiless option in the past, less than 6% have been ordered without the choil. It is simply not cost effective to tool up for such a small number of knives."

The choil on a DS6 is 7/8" long. To me it would be a better knife without any choil, or at most with a 1/8" choil and 3/4" more cutting edge.

Last edited:
A small choil like on the Hog Badger would be nice but I'm good with this choil. I'm just glad that this is a Scrap Yard offering and not a Busse Basic because the extra area needed to put the talon hole in front of a res handle and then a finger choil makes the ricasso area look unnecessarily long.

A small choil like on the Hog Badger would be nice but I'm good with this choil. I'm just glad that this is a Scrap Yard offering and not a Busse Basic because the extra area needed to put the talon hole in front of a res handle and then a finger choil makes the ricasso area look unnecessarily long.
Totally agree. This type of choil looks much better but I still don't get the need for it. It doesn't mean I won't be getting one of these beautiful blades though. It's almost perfect, what a shame. Although, if it was perfect maybe I wouldn't need anymore knives and that wouldn't be good now would it?

This might be my first foray into Busse knives. I've been looking for fixed around the 6 inch length. This seems perfect to me.

Not having any prior experience with Busse, I'm torn between the Big DC and Satin. Leaning Satin though.

Anything special to know about ordering once they go live?

Again, never ordered from Busse before but is there options for sheaths available?

This might be my first foray into Busse knives. I've been looking for fixed around the 6 inch length. This seems perfect to me.

Not having any prior experience with Busse, I'm torn between the Big DC and Satin. Leaning Satin though.

Anything special to know about ordering once they go live?

Again, never ordered from Busse before but is there options for sheaths available?
Set up an account with them so you will get an email reminder notification as soon as they go live. I get the feeling that these are going to get bought up in a hurry.

Has anyone polished a DC before and made it satin? And is it easy to do?
I haven't gotten around to it but there's a BIG DC Mentor in my collection that's got some oxidation so I'm going to try it out on that. I've seen Comp finished blades sanded to Satin and they look great but with DC, you're starting with a much closer to Satin finish so it should be pretty easy - i.e. hard to screw up too bad. Just start with some sand paper and change the direction you sand each round so you know what you've covered. clampdaddy clampdaddy has also used some metal polish and steel wool to get great results on strippers!

Totally agree. This type of choil looks much better but I still don't get the need for it. It doesn't mean I won't be getting one of these beautiful blades though. It's almost perfect, what a shame. Although, if it was perfect maybe I wouldn't need anymore knives and that wouldn't be good now would it?
"... I wouldn't need anymore knives ..." - I never seem to have that problem. ;):D

Back