Preventing scale formation

Does anybody use the brownells stuff on stainless, any experience with that?

ATP 641 anti-scale compound is available through the manufacturer: Advanced Technical Products
Go to website, shoot them an email...Brownells is not the only outlet, buy it directly from manufacturer.
$51/quart + shipping.
I ordered through Brownells, FedEx lost my order, major hassle. ATP ships UPS, hoping it arrives.

Reactions: weo
I have yet to use this, hoping to HT some O1 soon. Also have SS blank about ready for hardening, definitely need anti-scale/ refractory cement for this.
Wish me luck!
Brand New maker here....

My thoughts are that with stainless streel temperatures and soak times you have to use a stainless foil packet. Blade coatings work fine for carbon steel.

What some of these heat treat compounds do to a blade at the temps for SS austenitizing is truly amazing. Eats holes into it all over. Borate gets really intensely corrosive at SS temps. Glad it was a test blade, unground, and available for sacrifice.

Yeah, I made that mistake many years ago. I put Turco-II on a stainless blade and did HT. It ate the blade up. Borax and similar compounds turn really corrosive above 1700°F.

I have yet to use this, hoping to HT some O1 soon. Also have SS blank about ready for hardening, definitely need anti-scale/ refractory cement for this.
Wish me luck!
Brand New maker here....
You mentioned this in your first post .........the ability to see the color changes in the steel?
Does that means that you will use forge for HT ?
You will really need luck if you HT stainless in forge

Back