Preventing scale formation

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by R.C.Reichert, Jan 7, 2021.

1. R.C.Reichert

R.C.Reichert

Jul 26, 2008
  2. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
    what about setting the mixture too rich?

3. cartierusm

cartierusm

Feb 23, 2017
    R.C.Reichert likes this.
  4. R.C.Reichert

R.C.Reichert

Jul 26, 2008
  5. SBuzek

SBuzek KnifeMaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 7, 2006
    Or just use a thin coat of satinite.

fitzo likes this.
  6. FredyCro

FredyCro Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Does anybody use the brownells stuff on stainless, any experience with that?

7. Scot L

Scot L

Jan 2, 2021
    ATP 641 anti-scale compound is available through the manufacturer: Advanced Technical Products
    Go to website, shoot them an email...Brownells is not the only outlet, buy it directly from manufacturer.
    $51/quart + shipping.
    I ordered through Brownells, FedEx lost my order, major hassle. ATP ships UPS, hoping it arrives.

weo likes this.
  8. Scot L

Scot L

Jan 2, 2021
    I have yet to use this, hoping to HT some O1 soon. Also have SS blank about ready for hardening, definitely need anti-scale/ refractory cement for this.
    Wish me luck!
    Brand New maker here....

9. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    My thoughts are that with stainless streel temperatures and soak times you have to use a stainless foil packet. Blade coatings work fine for carbon steel.

10. fitzo

fitzo Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 14, 2001
    What some of these heat treat compounds do to a blade at the temps for SS austenitizing is truly amazing. Eats holes into it all over. Borate gets really intensely corrosive at SS temps. Glad it was a test blade, unground, and available for sacrifice.

11. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Yeah, I made that mistake many years ago. I put Turco-II on a stainless blade and did HT. It ate the blade up. Borax and similar compounds turn really corrosive above 1700°F.

fitzo likes this.
  12. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    You mentioned this in your first post .........the ability to see the color changes in the steel?
    Does that means that you will use forge for HT ?
    You will really need luck if you HT stainless in forge