Preview of a project I have been working on...

In my spare time I enjoy doing design work, and typically have numerous projects at various stages of (in)completion. Here is one that actually may come to fruition, and I am hoping to have released in the next few months. I have dubbed it the Hornet Blade. Takes standard scalpel blades and will be offered in a variety of materials.

This post is intentionally left a little vague, as more details will be revealed in the near future. I welcome your thoughts and feedback.

OV9kHA3.jpg

G7EFO7h.jpg

Is this meant for self defense? The handle seems a bit large for such a small blade.

Is this meant for self defense? The handle seems a bit large for such a small blade.

Not intended for self defense at all. There are certainly more compact/efficient designs available. This is just my version of this style of knife that utilizes replaceable and inexpensive blades.

I kinda like it. I’d wager the handle is much smaller than the picture indicates, but it’s hard to tell.

The handle is way (way much) too thick for such a small scalpel blade. You loose all the precision it is supposed to be good for.

the mora 122 woodcarving model is what I'd get for a small blade with a thicker handle - these are awesome if you've never held one, please do : )

eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL2Zyb3N0c3dlZC9pbWFnZXMvRlQxMDYxNjU0bi5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6IHsicmVzaXplIjogeyJ3aWR0aCI6IDU0NSwiaGVpZ2h0IjogNDE1LCJmaXQiOiAiY29udGFpbiIsImJhY2tncm91bmQiOiB7InIiOiAyNTUsImciOiAyNTUsImIiOiAyNTUsImFscGhhIjogMX19fX0=

Not the same thing by far. It's a wood carver. Cool for what it's intended for.
The OP's cylinder seems just way off base with that tiny scalpel blade protruding 1" forward.
Oh, yes, it sure is innovative. Never seen anywhere. Probably for a good reason : no practicality ever.

Interesting.

I'm more of a form follows function kinda guy. Big thick handle is for getting a good grip on something...yet it is a scalpel blade made for precision work? Looks to be completely round, so no way to tell how the blade is oriented except by sight, and the oversized handle would block your view in many types of precision cutting that a scalpel is designed for.

Looking at your mock up, it seems to be based on a piston inside a tube. (I am guessing one end of the tool unscrews for initial assembly) If you design a precision fit, which would be necessary to avoid blade movement, it wouldn't work very well due to pocket lint jamming it up. If you loosen the tolerances to avoid the problem with dirt/debris the blade would have noticeable movement which is exactly what no knife buyer wants.

I admire the attempt to think outside the box, but there are valid reasons that most retractable knives fold on a pivot. That solution works. Respectfully, I don't think your solution will work very well.

Grizz

Last edited:
great!
so its a retractable scaple holder?!
that looks about half the length
of a maglite solitaire?
imo it seems a bit short.
to be held securely like a pen.
as in being held in place by a pinch
with the index finger and thumb,
whilst resting upon the middle finger .
3-s2.0-B9781437708677000120-f012-001-9781437708677.jpg

other than that, it a cute size that
would fit nicely on a key chain.
yup! i do see its potential
as an unobstrusive cutting tool.
thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
"I admire the attempt to think outside the box."

I admire his thinking, as well. Lots of inventions we take for granted are based upon the "alpha example" mocked up by the inventor. I imagine that over time the inventor will give us up-to-date examples of his progress.

(I seem to have accidentally attached a picture. I cannot remove it. Would a moderator please delete my error? Thank you).

First, I appreciate all of the feedback, good and bad. I expected a fair amount of criticism, which I do think is warranted here.

If I am being honest with myself, this is probably the most impractical implementation of this concept that I have seen, and probably falls into the nonsense category for many. It is huge relative to the blade size, overly thick because of the round shape, it may get jammed up with crud and pocket lint, and it may totally suck. All that being said, it will be my own unique creation that I plan to build and test. Maybe there will be opportunities to refine it, or maybe I will scrap it and move on to the next crazy project. Either way, I had fun doing it :)

ETA - Some knives (or other possessions) I have not because they are practical, but because they are just fun and bring me some enjoyment. I expect this to be the latter rather than the former.

Some knives (or other possessions) I have not because they are practical, but because they are just fun and bring me some enjoyment. I expect this to be the latter rather than the former.
And this, I can totally get. It's fine. Now, if you could blend practicality and enjoyment, you would be up to something. Really.

Most people said to kill it with fire, so I went ahead and built up a few of them in brass, copper, and titanium :) It is definitely not the most practical, but I had fun designing it and enjoy carrying and using it.

csnBmj3.jpg

coUsBOJ.jpg

18StjyF.jpg

SP8HH01.jpg
Cool that you made some prototypes. This could probably give a girl a great time

Most people said to kill it with fire, so I went ahead and built up a few of them in brass, copper, and titanium :) It is definitely not the most practical, but I had fun designing it and enjoy carrying and using it.

I'm glad you were able to make it and are happy with it. I made a tiny wooden box with a lid from that I carved from a block of wood today, and while it serves no purpose whatsoever I enjoyed creating it.

Back