Price hike 2019, 10% or 5%

For 2019, on top of the normal 5% yearly Spyderco MSRP price increase...

Will there also be a 5% increase for 2019 MAP pricing as well?

10% or 5%?

Also, is 5% MAP increase enough to keep the struggling Spyderco customers (dealers) from bankruptcy?

Maybe we can just wait to find out?

Agree.

If your wages / salary increase 5-10%, why worry ?

Not in relation to the OP but I smile when I see someone try to save $5, 10, 20 but spend an hour doing it yet if they put their mind to it could earn $25-50 in an hour or two.

Dealers need to start inspecting knives before shipping if they keep demanding higher map. Else screw them I'm not buying anymore.

Map is way to high now.

Why do you say MAP is way too high ?

On what basis are you justifying that ?

If I perform my job perfectly and do little extras through the year I get a 5% raise and a 5% bonus. It’s not easy to get and probably only 2-3% of employees where I work get it. We have just under 3000 employees. The normal raise if I just go to work and do nothing extra is 3% and no bonus. But either way I will probably buy one new knife when I get my bonus

I see both sides, I think making Map Pricing too High is off putting to potential customers just getting into the brand. However I also see People buying and selling at several times the map price on the secondary markets which would indicate that for some price is not really an impediment.

If you’re serious, I gotta find a new line of work.
I think the MOST I’ve ever gotten is around 2% and I was ecstatic that year.

Patience is a virtual . Spyderco Taiwan and Japan lineup only last 2 to 3 years in the market before they get discontinue. Some ZT are going the same way . ZT has more to do with them bieng big and not for everyone . But Spyderco are just over price with MAP . The sage 2 has been around for a long time the price went from $150 to $200+ and no one bought it so out it goes . Paying $205 for a sage2 a month ago to $150 now will bother me.

Last edited:
SpydercoTaiwan and Japan lineup only last 2 to 3 years in the market before they get discontinue"

Well young people nowadays want new this that and the other. Like new steels.

Part of it is market driven.

Can't comment on MAP as we don't have it in Australia. If I want something I just work, save and buy it, whether it's $10 or $1000.

Everyone ok with MAP going straight to 25% from the current 35% to help keep American jobs and knife stores open? I think it may even help create new knife shops and eliminate Amazon and Walmart completely.

Online shops should be charging at minimum full MSRP like Bento Box Shop. If they have a brick and mortar component, they can sell at any price you can negotiate with them as a reward for flying to their location.

That's how we can help Spyderco's customers AND bring back jobs.

Everyone ok with MAP going straight to 25% from the current 35% to help keep American jobs and knife stores open? I think it may even help create new knife shops and eliminate Amazon and Walmart completely.

Online shops should be charging at minimum full MSRP like Bento Box Shop. If they have a brick and mortar component, they can sell at any price you can negotiate with them as a reward for flying to their location.

Not sure where your idea is going here on these, but the whole B&M exemption has been beaten to death in all corners of the forums. It just isn't logistically possible.

Bento Box Shop doesn't charge full MSRP, unless it's a discontinued or collectible model. And even then they don't always charge MSRP.

Whose jobs do you want Spyderco to bring back? By your reasoning, Spyderco's MAP is preventing new knife shops, when they are just one of dozens of companies out there. If a store doesn't agree with MAP, or if Spyderco's product isn't profitable enough for them, they can just sell something else. If anything, it's a variety of economic factors that prevent new brick and mortar stores from opening, not just one company's policy.

And as Sal has said numerous times, MAP just limits how low of a price can be advertised. It doesn't set the price the item has to be sold at.

Bento Box Shop doesn't charge full MSRP, unless it's a discontinued or collectible model. And even then they don't always charge MSRP.

Whose jobs do you want Spyderco to bring back? By your reasoning, Spyderco's MAP is preventing new knife shops, when they are just one of dozens of companies out there. If a store doesn't agree with MAP, or if Spyderco's product isn't profitable enough for them, they can just sell something else. If anything, it's a variety of economic factors that prevent new brick and mortar stores from opening, not just one company's policy.

And as Sal has said numerous times, MAP just limits how low of a price can be advertised. It doesn't set the price the item has to be sold at.

MAP is enforced in online retail whether they have a physical store or not. If your parroting is true, online sellers would still be able to "add to cart for price", and "use coupon code at checkout"... And this is not limited to Spyderco but this is the Spyderco forum so we're talking Spydercos. Go, ask an online dealer if they can sell you a Spyderco below MAP.

Patience is a virtual

You guys are really confusing me.
You're right, if may pay increased by 5-10%, I wouldn't worry about much of anything.
Walmart and Amazon are huge companies that would do just fine if they never sold another Spyderco.
Virtual is an adjective, not a noun.

MAP is enforced in online retail whether they have a physical store or not. If your parroting is true, online sellers would still be able to "add to cart for price", and "use coupon code at checkout"... And this is not limited to Spyderco but this is the Spyderco forum so we're talking Spydercos. Go, ask an online dealer if they can sell you a Spyderco below MAP.

Some online retailers do just that. Some also send out "private" emails offering deals on certain models. Those prices aren't actually advertised on the site, and you have to sign up in order to receive the emails. There was another site that had Spyderco models on sale, but you had to add to cart to see the sale price. This was within the past couple of months. There are deals to be found, but you have to do some work to find them.

As for asking an online dealer to sell at a lower price, I have not done that, but I have seen a couple members on this site claim to have asked for a discount and they were successful.

Back