Prices losing touch with reality?

You can always do what I have been doing lately; buy them off of the secondary market. I picked up a very nice Lil’ Native at a very fair price. That same be said about the G-10 handled Dragonfly 2 before it.

I think Spyderco has excelled at offering knives at a wide variety of price points. IMHO, the quality of what they are putting out there justifies the price of admission. I'm not arguing that I like how every knife they release is priced, but they seem to get it right more often than not.

The Kapara hit this one right on the nose for me. I have not seen the quality of that knife matched at a sub $200 price point.

Lets not mistify the quality of spyderco knives. Do they usually have good quality? Definitely. Are there other brands in the same price range matching their quality? You bet.

I'm usually a "the price is the price" kind of guy, but both of the new Spyderco knives that caught my eye are priced to an absurd level. The Drunken and the Paysan looked like winners in my book, but then I saw the prices... After the usual discount, it's $410 for the Drunken and $520(!!) for the Paysan.

I thought "well, maybe the Golden factory is putting extra love into these models" then I realized that these are both made in Taiwan.

What is it about these knives that justifies full-blown custom prices for non-sprint production knives made in Asia? I understand that the Paysan is an integral folder on bearings, but WE Knives does the same thing on ceramic bearings (better) and M390 (arguably better) for almost $230 less.

What gives? Other new Taiwan models aren't going for black-market-organs pricing, so tariffs aren't to blame for this.

if you compare Spyderco to some other higher priced brands you get a lot of knife from Spyderco for the money. However if you compare them to some "cheaper" brands you don't seem to get a lot of knife for the money. Everything is relative. At least with Spyderco you know you are getting great quality, warranty and a tool that will last many years to come!

$642.49 for the Paysan was the best price I found if I want one in Spain. And for that price, I get the same plane jane steel clip as on a budget Tenacious? LOL.

Hahah, I can get it in Norway for the low, low, price of 663,14 dollars.

Clip on a $500 knife
Spyderco-Rassenti-Paysan-Integral-Ti-SW-BHQ-81099-er-side.jpg

Clip on a $50 knife
Spyderco-Efficient-Green-G10-Plain-BHQ-85707-er-side.jpg

It's a no for me.

if you compare Spyderco to some other higher priced brands you get a lot of knife from Spyderco for the money. However if you compare them to some "cheaper" brands you don't seem to get a lot of knife for the money. Everything is relative. At least with Spyderco you know you are getting great quality, warranty and a tool that will last many years to come!

Could you give me a comparison between the Drunken and a comparable knife? I'm genuinely curious where you're looking. Also, Spyderco's warranty has been called a lot of things, but "great" isn't one of them...

This topic comes up at intervals when Spyderco's prices exceed somebody's tolerance level. For me, that occurred a few years ago at $200. I haven't bought one since and Spyderco is doing just fine without my business. I don't understand why anyone would pay hundreds of dollars for a pocket knife, but it's their business, if they want to do so.

Also, Spyderco's warranty has been called a lot of things, but "great" isn't one of them...
From my own experience, I can confirm that Spyderco customer service is certainly not what you're paying for, but that's another topic.

Spyderco has a niche and those two knives mentioned aren't part of it. I don't think they'll sell well. They aren't priced competitively with the market.
As has been pointed out, the clip on the Paysan is a standard spring. That's not what the market wants at that price point.
Kudos to Spyderco for trying. They are known for innovation and experimentation. Not everything they do is going to be a winner.

Could you give me a comparison between the Drunken and a comparable knife? I'm genuinely curious where you're looking. Also, Spyderco's warranty has been called a lot of things, but "great" isn't one of them...

I call Spyderco's warranty great. Just so we have a starting point here what do you like about the brand? It's not the price and it's not their ethos; what is it?

This topic comes up at intervals when Spyderco's prices exceed somebody's tolerance level. For me, that occurred a few years ago at $200. I haven't bought one since and Spyderco is doing just fine without my business. I don't understand why anyone would pay hundreds of dollars for a pocket knife, but it's their business, if they want to do so.

From my own experience, I can confirm that Spyderco customer service is certainly not what you're paying for, but that's another topic.
I think that I have to disagree on your take for the customer service. I've sent a couple knives back from Canada for tweaks and they were great to me. @tazkristi stayed in touch with me via email during the second when first they sent me some parts and second they took the knife in and modded some parts they had to fix stuff I lost.

There was noting wrong with the knife. I caused the problem and they took care of me.

I call Spyderco's warranty great. Just so we have a starting point here what do you like about the brand? It's not the price and it's not their ethos; what is it?

Their designs, blade steel choices, QC, made in the US, and price (on other models).

Neither the Drunken nor the Paysan are what I’m looking for in a price range where I’m very, very selective. Bummer. I’m over it.

Until they’re out in the wild, to say that Spyderco and Taichung can’t deliver a product that rivals midtechs &/or other high end production of similar price is, mildly stated, presumptuous. (Ok, maybe clip issues aside. :D). Personally, I belive absolutely they can. But, as with many knives of the type, they’re mostly out of my price range.

Ever known an automobile manufacturer to produce a halo car? Was I pissed at Porsche for producing a 918 or (I’m old) a 959 because I couldn’t afford one? Nope. Did I long for one regardless? Duh! Of course I did!

If the intention of this thread is to say, “Dang, that knife is too rich for my blood,” “The value just isn’t there for me,” or “If it was cheaper I’d grab one,” that’s understandable. It’s a discussion forum and I may or may not agree based on my personal opinions (and the thickness of my wallet at the time).

If the intention of this thread is to crap on Spyderco for building a halo knife and pricing it in a way that doesn’t defray cost across the lineup, well, my appologies, but that’s just nearsighted or maybe outright childish.

I do hope that some of the lessons learned from the Drunken/Paysan projects work their way down to the “Honda Civic” level where I spend most of my time and money. Maybe someday I’ll be able to move up to the used Acura level. ;)

Last edited:
I think that I have to disagree on your take for the customer service. I've sent a couple knives back from Canada for tweaks and they were great to me. @tazkristi stayed in touch with me via email during the second when first they sent me some parts and second they took the knife in and modded some parts they had to fix stuff I lost.

There was noting wrong with the knife. I caused the problem and they took care of me.

I'm glad to hear of your good experience with Spyderco customer service. I have had some satisfactory service from Spyderco and some much less than satisfactory. Based only on my experience, I would not recommend sending a knife to them for repair.

Just curious if any of you calling these "overpriced" have held one? Without having in in hand, how can you know? You can say it's expensive. I don't see how you can says it's over-priced without seeing one in person. I passed on a Slysz Bowie - I just didn't see how it could justify the price. Then I got to play with one for 15 mins. I regret not getting one when I could. At the old retail prices that knife was a bargain (imo).

As others have said, if it's not worth it to you, don't buy it. Sal has said the model is cost + a fixed margin. It costs what it costs. I don't have an unlimited budget. I'll have to decide if I want to sell 2-3 other knives to get one of those. We all make choices.

This is all just my opinion so plz don’t get mad people;

I kind of feel like Spyderco has become abit of an odd thing because there is no doubt typically they are industry leaders in design and no one could deny they always built excellent knives. Spyderco seems to be at their strongest when leading the pack and marching to their own drum.

Where they seem the weakest is when following trends and giving us ignorant consumers what we think we want. Ignoring price 3 things have really harmed Spyderco in my eyes and it seems like too many of their knives are combining all three. Those 3 things are the compression lock, ball bearings and flippers.

The compression lock was great on the pm2 and knives that are built around it. When it is thrown on as an afterthought to a bb flipper knife it seems like there are often issues of weak detent and the flipper tab coming through the lock cutout.

The BBs being supported on paper thin support washers like the advocate seemed to again be spyderco jumping on a trend without making the design really work. Good on them for fixing the advocate but in truth all the early bb Spydercos had support washers that were dishing badly. My first Southard I have kept only just tight enough to prevent bladeplay and the washers have dished very badly. My second southard came new with dished washers.

Also to see them putting bbs on the subvert!? I hope they didn’t use the little diameter ring of caged bbs they’ve used on other knives on the subvert because that huge blade needs lateral support. In order to gain lateral support on a small ringed diameter of bbs one would have to tighten down the pivot more, potentially causing dishing. (Idk I don’t own a subvert but likely would if it was on pb washers)

Lastly the flipper trend. While their Southard and Domino other knives were good flippers they didn’t get the bbs right. They overlooked the bbs in order to follow the flipper trend. Now that they apparently got the bbs right they have started making a bunch of weak detent flippers on comp lock folders.

TLDR version: I know that the compression lock bb pivot flipper was probably the “ultimate spydie” that a focus group of fans should have loved but Spyderco is best when following their own inspiration rather than trends.

Last edited:
Spyderco (and Sal can chime in here, if he likes) is making knives that they think we want to buy at a level (in terms of price and volume) where they think that they can make a "reasonable" profit.

So, if Spyderco continues to make more expensive knives AND they sell out, then we have no one to blame for the price increases than ourselves, because this just encourages Spyderco to make more and more expensive knives based on market "demand" so that they can make more $ (as well as enhance their reputation as a "high quality" knife maker) doing it.

It's not like Spyderco doesn't know how to make cheaper knives, which it has long been doing w/the Bryd line and the Tenacious/Efficient family of knives. But, as good as those knives are, they get little respect.

What Spyderco hears from the knife "community" is the demand that they make their knives w/better steel and materials which, of course, raises prices. Then Spyderco also sees the demand for "designer" knives made by them (like the Schempp knives) as well as those made others and hears the continual call for "something new" which sends them down the "high end" designer path leading up to the Subvert, Drunken and Paysan.

Does that mean that there are still no "affordable" knives being made by Spyderco? Of course not. Most recently, there have been the Amalgam, Tropen and Kapara and the pending Smock and Ikuchi which are all in the $100-200 MAP range, which IMO are all well made and uniquely designed knives; all (but one) that I already own and/or intend to buy.

So, I do not lament my decision to NOT buy knives that I consider "too expensive" because there are still more than enough knives in my buying "sweet spot" between $100-200 to choose from to worry about "missing out" on knives that cost more.

Last edited:
Back