Primitive living kukri

The WWII (Either size), M43 and ASTK models are the ones that I would consider. The 16.5" WWII is available with a Chiruwa style tang, if you want it that way.

When I first saw the title of this thread,"Primitive living kukri," I was reminded of someone's posting last year about a "Prehistoric Khukuri Trilobite," with this image:

View attachment 487697

That creature was literally a primitive living khukuri, and evidently it was able to survive in the wild with nothing but the "clothes" on its back and a rather wicked looking pair of blades.

I would take this.

Tamang_001.jpg

What model is this???

I would have to say the ASTK is my choice for best all around survival kukri. My 17in 30oz model is a lot lighter in the hands than the numbers would have you believe. The karda and chakma are also larger and more useful. The balance is great and it probably has the strongest handle of any kukri including the CKAng... Mine has three perfect pins in the grip and neem wood.

The KLUVK and BDVUK are also great choices if you don't mind making a sheath.

ASTK alllll dayyyy longggg lol

Klvuk is definitely out, the edge is too thin for the kind of abuse I need it to hold up to. There's been a lot of votes for the astk so I think I'll go for that. Have to start watching for one in dod now. Can anyone tell me why they think the astk would be their first choice?

Klvuk is definitely out, the edge is too thin for the kind of abuse I need it to hold up to. There's been a lot of votes for the astk so I think I'll go for that. Have to start watching for one in dod now. Can anyone tell me why they think the astk would be their first choice?

I got mine for a song...I think I paid $100, The sheath was great and the karda was the largest of all my kukris. It has a nice edge angle that I think you will like. The handle is by far the best part about the kukri. The CAK probably has the strongest blade where as the ASTK has the strongest handle... That's just my opinion due to the three pin design and much more useful and comfortable grip afforded by the ASTK's flared pommel.

For me it's too heavy for a general do-it-all khuk, but that's me. I will say that I believe it's one of HI's best HD khuks. It's bomb-proof and the design is well balanced and comfy. I had a 29 oz. short handled version and it was very nice. At one point, they could be found at 27 oz., which would be a nice one. If you want a khuk in that weight range, you'd have a hard time finding a better one.

I dunno if you are going to be able to do all that stuff with the trade offs needed.

For me, I prefer a thinner edge over a thicker knowing that I need to watch my technique. A KLVUK would be high on my list. I have cut 6" wood with it pretty readily and split kindling with ease. The only edge damage I have gotten has been when i struck a rock.

My ASTK is too thick at the edge to do finer work. It's an earlier version, but it's what I use to bust mid-sized logs apart for my fireplace. It's a sharp wedge and heavy. Mine is only 15" though.

My Manakamana is up there too. it's a tad heavy for fine work, but it's graceful yet robust. A 16.5" version would be fantastic.

A thinner edged AK might be doable too. I have seen them with pretty thin edges for the blade profile. I have a Boomerang AK that has a thinner edge than my Kobras.

A nice villager 16.5" WWII might be ideal too.

Like Steely said. The only thing I've buggered any khuk edge on was a rock. I've batoned my KLVUK, split with it and disassembled 3 or 4 very large trees worth of tops-limbs up to 4-5", and the effort saved by that edge geometry would have made a BIG difference in a real survival situation. Cutting anything bigger than 4-5" seems like wasted effort, unless it's really in your way, IMHO. As a truck knife is when you tend to hafta go after big stuff. My CAK by bhakta has similar edge geometry as well-my 18" gelbu has much more obtuse geometry and chopping wood with it is a bear. Noggins, I think that one's edged for LOL.

Thing is, there is no correct, or exclusive answer to this question. Following Gunz' logic, I would nominate the Tirtha Farm knife as a top choice for primitive living. Truth is that many of HI's excellent blades will serve admirably in this role. It just depends what tasks will be encountered most often, and what is the skill/knowledge level of the wielder. Both thin and thicker edge geometries have advantages and drawbacks, some of which could be offset with the addition of smaller, lighter knives used as adjuncts.

Back