Pro Series

in the days of $12.00 breakfasts, and $4.50 a gallon gas.
Are the prices of these new Bucks that out of line??

Premium steel, Premium handle material lifetime warranty,
a sheath.

These like many Bucks should be able to be passed from generation to generation. Way better value than two tanks of gas.

As shocking to some as the price may be, if you go grocery shopping, buy gas, or eat out once in a while, it should make sense.

A fat arm full of groceries is north of eighty bucks.

I for one am pleased that Buck has finally decided to uprate their classics. I do wish they would return to the fold over flap sheaths.
But I may be the only one. Or at least offer them as an upgrade/add on.

This new development will spur me on to pick up a 103.
I have hemmed and hawed about the 103 for decades.

The new materials have pushed me over the edge. And I'm sure if it is well done, I will see a Woodsman and others follow.

The price for a lifetime companion that can be handed down, doesn't seem that out of line with an $80,000 King Ranch.

I just got my Pro 102 in yesterday.

Sorry to say, I am somewhat unimpressed. Uneven grind (someone leaned a bit heavy while sharpening the tip-both sides) and the plastic sheath insert came out with the blade.

Hey, but the oversized box is sweet :(

I just got my Pro 102 in yesterday.

Sorry to say, I am somewhat unimpressed. Uneven grind (someone leaned a bit heavy while sharpening the tip-both sides) and the plastic sheath insert came out with the blade.

Hey, but the oversized box is sweet :(
sorry to hear that. id return it for a better one. they arent cheap, no reason to accept what ya aren't happy with.

on the new magnet boxes. I prefer the old ones. as I could unfold and flatten them and store more easily an in far less space. these ones feel more expensive and I dont like paying more for a box, but thats me.

My 119 Pro arrived a couple of days ago, overall I'm pleased with fit and finish. I ordered a 105 today... had to laugh because I'm doing the same thing as Jeff of the North, but in the reverse direction... 119 then 105.

q5Gzw1bh.jpg

I'm not too crazy about the oversized magnetic box and the shredded stuffing... seems like an excess (and a waste) of packaging. I would have rather seen that cost devoted to an upgraded (fancied up) sheath of some sort, to make the differentiation between "Regular" and "Pro", and not fancy cardboard.

Last edited:
I have a 105/103 combo set with micarta scales that I believe were marked brown on the boxes. The handle color on my new 102 pro is marked green. They all look pretty much the same color to me!

Although my Pro 102 was not as nice as I had hoped.......I am tempted to purchase the 119 Pro.

**I decided to pull the trigger on the 119. I forgot that Buck sent me a 20% off coupon code! Hate to see that go to waste! You only live once.............right?

Last edited:
I have a 105/103 combo set with micarta scales that I believe were marked brown on the boxes. The handle color on my new 102 pro is marked green. They all look pretty much the same color to me!

Although my Pro 102 was not as nice as I had hoped.......I am tempted to purchase the 119 Pro.

**I decided to pull the trigger on the 119. I forgot that Buck sent me a 20% off coupon code! Hate to see that go to waste! You only live once.............right?

LOL... having a discount is as good of an excuse as another to buy. You won't regret getting the 119.

I just ordered a 120... these things are like salted peanuts, I can't stop. Actually there is a method to my madness... I have the plain Jane (black phenolic), and Cocobolo handled versions of the knives I'm ordering... also having the Pro versions seems like the logical thing to do... Right?? Right??

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking with it... :D

My Two Pro Series Knives arrived a few days ago.
I wanted to take a bit before responding here.

The Good,
Mine seem to be more green than brown, at least to my eyes.
The grinds are good and even. Both the 102 and 103 are hair shaving sharp
right out of the box.

The sheaths are typical Buck 100 Series sheaths.
The snaps are pretty tight, so I rubbed a dab of oil into the ring side.
They should loosen up over time and be just right.

I'm a tad skiddish about it because I had a Chris Reeve GB 5.5 snap pull right through
recently. At 60+ this was my first sheath snap failure. it makes me wonder why.

The Not So Good,
I have to admit, I was a little disappointed in the Buck Maker's Marks.
Instead of the traditional Buck stamping, which lasts as long as the knife.
Mine I believe, are acid etched like Bark RiverKnives.
When did Buck move to this method?

I'm pretty sure one pass with some Flitz will leave me with two sterile knives.
I'm not a collector,
but this leaves me wondering how I will identify the age and the steel as time passes.

Not a reason to jump up and down and throw things, but rather a small disappointment.

Other than that they seem well executed, finished nicely and just enough different to draw interest.

LV,

My Two Pro Series Knives arrived a few days ago.
I wanted to take a bit before responding here.

The Good,
Mine seem to be more green than brown, at least to my eyes.
The grinds are good and even. Both the 102 and 103 are hair shaving sharp
right out of the box.

The sheaths are typical Buck 100 Series sheaths.
The snaps are pretty tight, so I rubbed a dab of oil into the ring side.
They should loosen up over time and be just right.

I'm a tad skiddish about it because I had a Chris Reeve GB 5.5 snap pull right through
recently. At 60+ this was my first sheath snap failure. it makes me wonder why.

The Not So Good,
I have to admit, I was a little disappointed in the Buck Maker's Marks.
Instead of the traditional Buck stamping, which lasts as long as the knife.
Mine I believe, are acid etched like Bark RiverKnives.
When did Buck move to this method?

I'm pretty sure one pass with some Flitz will leave me with two sterile knives.
I'm not a collector,
but this leaves me wondering how I will identify the age and the steel as time passes.

Not a reason to jump up and down and throw things, but rather a small disappointment.

Other than that they seem well executed, finished nicely and just enough different to draw interest.

LV,
All the super steel grade blades are etched. I’ve only seen a few that were stamped ldk maybe before heat treatment. From what I’ve heard the metal is to hard for stamping and probably wears the stamp out in short time so they are etched. The ones I have have faded some but are still visible if you hold it in the light just right. Idk, They might be laser etched.

Back