Production models: question

I'm interested in buying one of the production kepharts, however all the recent pics at online retailers appear to show smooth, non-textured canvas micarta scales, as opposed to the grooved texture they used to have.
Have the grooves been discontinued?

2018060410381834-2018-06-04%2010_34_15-Fiddleback%20Forge%20Production%20Kephart%20Natural%20Canvas%20-%20Internet%20Explorer-L.jpg

I checked and thE grooves are very subtle, but you can see where the micarta lines are a little wavy where it goes through a cloth layer.

Last edited:
Will definitely do that, although according to USPS tracking info it still hasn't left Georgia.
So it's the old postal guessing game: is the tracking info wrong, and the package will be delivered tomorrow, or is the tracking info correct, and my knife is either lost or stolen?
Fingers crossed it gets here tomorrow.

They're all grooved
B4VQJVNIgAEstAL.jpg

Will definitely do that, although according to USPS tracking info it still hasn't left Georgia.
So it's the old postal guessing game: is the tracking info wrong, and the package will be delivered tomorrow, or is the tracking info correct, and my knife is either lost or stolen?
Fingers crossed it gets here tomorrow.
It's showing as accepted and scanned...which is a good sign. We're tracking it as well to keep an eye on it. USPS tracking seems to not be updating correctly this week for some reason...but we're sure it shipped!

Sounds good; thanks for keeping an eye on it. It didn't arrive today, maybe tomorrow.

June 5, 2018, 6:05 pm
Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending
SUWANEE, GA 30024
Your shipment was received at 6:05 pm on June 5, 2018 in SUWANEE, GA 30024. The acceptance of your package is pending.

Bewildering!

Its hard to photo that texture on the scales, but it has not been changed at all. I'm watching to see the end of this tracking drama.

Lol, I'm watching too. I may have been a little optimistic... tracking doesn't actually say "out for delivery" yet, only that it's expected delivery date is today.
But it's certainly an improvement!

Nice. That field knife never felt right to me. I tried it twice. The HDFK is the best big knife of found.

Aren't the handles on the Production Kephart awesome?!? Perfectly grippy. Actually, the knife is really solid and functional, and it's perfect for folks who want Fiddleback quality without being concerned about taking it into the woods and beating it up. Congrats!

Hurray! I love when shipping dramas end well. My favorite kind of drama. You know, Nathan Carothers is the machinist that makes the scales for the production knives. I like his knives too. His table at Blade Show is just across the aisle from us. Every year he looses me in a conversation about knives. He is a genious.

Back