Productive week...3 new models (to me), initial thoughts.

As the title suggests I picked up 3 Spyderco's this week. As a relative newcomer to folding knives I thought it might be interesting to share my first impressions. This is not a review based on real world use as I haven't had time to extensively carry the knives and no sharpening is yet required. (Just an excuse to show off really..)
I live remotely in the Philippines and haven't been to the US in 20 months so on this trip I decided to experiment with some of the models and steels I have been reading about for so long - I decided a while ago if the opportunity arose I wanted Spyderco to be the platform for trying new lock mechanisms and steels based on the multiple reviews, threads and testimony I had been reading. Until this point I only owned 2 folders, a Northwoods slip joint and my well loved Techno.
After much wringing of hands I decided on the Para 3 as the 3" platform as I wanted to try the compression lock and it was available in M390 through a dealer exclusive.
I then saw the KC exclusive PM2 Cruwear/smooth G10 preorder and though it might be fun to compare the 2 models expecting the delayed preorder to take a while. M390 and Cruwear are 2 steels I have been wanting to try for a long time so by this time I was getting quite excited.
Whilst the PM2 was on order I starting thinking about how the Manix 2 compared to the PM2 as I had read rave reviews regarding the ergos of the Manix family. I caught a great deal on an M4 Manix 2 on the exchange (M4 is another steel I had been following) and snapped it up. Of course while the Manix was in the post the PM2 preorder was fulfilled and within 7 days I had 3 new Spydercos.
SfXgTSW.jpg

The Para 3 arrived first and I was very happy with the size, for me it is the perfect balance of carry size with enough blade to cope with most edc tasks. I agree with many assessments regarding pocket clip placement but it isn't a huge issue for me and I have carried it with and without clip in front and back pocket quite happily. My first experience of the compression lock is very positive, feels secure in lock up and easy to disengage. It was drop shut out of the box and, I am no expert, but was easily flickable. Really the only issue I had with the knife was the texture of the G10, I found it really/excessively rough for my tastes especially after I handled the PM2 with smooth G10. No problem, even though its an exclusive it's there to be used so I got the wet/dry paper out and smoothed out the scales. Made it a completely different knife to me in a good way. I probably will add a deep carry clip to this knife to make it more discreet in certain situations.
2lHjSbU.png

dlc2poL.png

Next to arrive was the Manix 2 in jade G10 and M4. I am used to maintaining fixed blades in O1 and A2 steel in humid environments so was not too wary of the potential corrosion problems with M4, in fact I enjoy a good natural patina. This knife was preowned and lightly used but in excellent condition. Again, drop shut and easily flickable straight away. Originally I had planned for a Manix 2 LW but the M4 clinched it. Criticisms I have heard of the G10 Manix are too heavy and pocket-hog. yes, it is large/wide in the pocket but I have been carrying it in my rear pocket at work and have no issues with it whatsoever although I probably won't be carrying it front pocket with cell phone. The skeletonized liners keep the weight reasonable and give it perfect balance. In fact all 3 of the knives are perfectly centered on the first finger just back from choil. I had the same issue with the G10 texture and smoothed it out as per the Para3 and PM2 but couldn't get it to photograph well. The ball bearing lock operates freely and feels very secure, I don't find it quite as convenient as the compression lock at the moment but will keep playing with it!
9xJrtRm.jpg

Last to arrive was the Cruwear PM2 with smooth G10 handles. Of the 3 this is the knife I thought would have less wow factor and possibly move on, not sure why I felt like this, maybe I thought it was impossible to live up to the hype and the standards set by the 2 knives I had already received. Anyway straight out of the box it felt dead right. The smooth G10 scales are beautiful, yes plain (boring to some), but I find them much more comfortable than the regular texture for extended use and as stated previously have sanded the others to match. The action is incredible, with no previous experience of PM2's as a reference I don't know if I have a particularly good example, whether this exclusive run is elevated quality or whether they are all like this, but it flies open with no effort, almost like a flipper. Of course drop shut out of the box. In the pocket it is very comfortable, I switched to tip-up carry only because it is feels more comfortable for me to grip and one-hand open in that configuration. I am interested to see how the thin tip stands up to some use, but not concerned. I don't feel the need for a deep carry clip but I may add a less shiny black clip.

All 3 knives fit my hand very well, obviously the Manix 2 and PM2 offer more handle space and I need to use the 50/50 choil of the Para 3in order to get a full 4 finger grip but that's aok for a knife this size and my pinkie grabs the curved butt quite happily in regular grip.
tMBjO6g.jpg

MGFTqtx.jpg

The pronounced forward finger groove of the Manix 2 offers a very secure grip but also makes it a little less easy to make small adjustments of grip than the PM2 - maybe this will change as I become more accustomed to the knives.
The Manix 2 also feels a little more substantial to me due to the steel backspacer housing the BB lock and the jimped, non-nested liners.
Although thinner blade stock, the blade shape and tapering of the Manix 2 seems to offer a bit more steel at the tip than the PM2 but I think both will excel at fine work.
Many users have bemoaned the Para 3 using the same stock thickness as the PM2 giving it a less slicey blade. I don't agree, for a knife this size as a general EDC I think it is well suited and the FFG is plenty slicey enough for most tasks.

Summing up, I am extremely happy with the 3 knives so far and expect to rotate them initially to get a better feel of ergos and steel. Sanding the G10 on the Para 3 and Manix 2 made an incredible difference to me although I realize its not to everyone's taste. I already know they're all keepers unless financial/life situations arise and I'm confident these 3 knives will cover all bases - at least until my next trip. I have assigned them general use profiles (based on my situation):

Para 3 - Do it all EDC for discreet carry and partner to larger blade, M390 should hold up to most tasks and conditions.
PM2 - Preferred EDC in all situations where size won't be a problem if deployed, stand alone knife, excited to put Cruwear to the test.
Manix 2 - Workhorse/work knife, here in the US and around home where I can keep up with M4 maintenance (not for the jungle). Bit large for jeans on a night out.

Thanks for reading and apologies for the crappy photos and longwinded text.

Jules

Congrats on the 3 new spidies! I have the same manix in M4 and it has been performing great.

Great review and thanks for the pics. Those are three great choices that really compliment each other.

The Para2, of the three, is all I have any use for.
M4 though is a must for me and that is what I have in the Para2.
The other two are just prototypes . . . after the fact.
IMO :)

The Para2, of the three, is all I have any use for.
M4 though is a must for me and that is what I have in the Para2.
The other two are just prototypes . . . after the fact.
IMO :)
Really looking forward to using the M4 but as I said in the Philippines I am anticipating something with greater corrosion resistance being useful too. I'm hoping the Cruwear and M390 will cover me when I am remote from home and get soaked in the frequent storms. The exclusive PM2 in CF and M4 looks nice though...maybe next year .

Back