Progress Thread - The Redmeadow Bowies

That butcher paper is a good idea, I have some in my shop I'm going to have to give it a try.

Now don't be butchering those sheaths. Jeez, I gotta watch you guys like a hawk.

Great to see you!!! Hope you've been well, where you been hiding at? Thanks for the kind words, I'm pleased with how these came out but I'm always open to advice.

Not sure which route I want to go with these in the future, classy Ivory, or rugged leather. Could always just wing it and change things up.

Great to see you!!! Hope you've been well, where you been hiding at? Thanks for the kind words, I'm pleased with how these came out but I'm always open to advice.

Not sure which route I want to go with these in the future, classy Ivory, or rugged leather. Could always just wing it and change things up.
Thanks, John. Good to see you too. I've been around, although not so much on BF, just found a lot of other places that keep me busy. I've been making swords, like usual, and they are selling well. My next project is a CPM M4 Competition chopper. I'm looking at it as a major challenge. Everything will have to be just absolute perfection. Enough about me.

I have no advice for you John. You have really advanced, and quickly. They have great lines, perfect size, and a nice selection of materials. You fit and finish looks outstanding. As for the next step, it's obvious, my friend. Stag! Maybe even a touch of Scagel if it suits you. After all, the Scagel Master himself visits this site.

Oh wait, you need a catchy slogan and a hashbrown too!

"Redmeadow Knives, where precision matters"
#cheetoprecisionmatters
View attachment 768376
Chris, on the Flaming Hot Cheeto variety I'm averaging a 1.8329445333"(repeating of course), let me know your findings and we'll see if there is an east/west variation.

John, I'm sorry for the delay. I ordered the calibration kit for my clamps and they sent the non-flaming one!!

It only averages 10. :mad:

Can you believe it? 10!?

IMG_2255.JPG

;)

That's just turrble, Cheeto specs have really gotten slippy, what's next, Cheerios that are outside of the .2333 (repeating of course) diameter!!!

#nerdlivesmatter:D
a2f784d0be9fb0ea0299f4492b36bd52a1ffb37245646bd1244704356b74601a.jpg

Thursday to Wednesday, that's almost a whole week. Wait, never mind.
You know how it is with us full time knife makers, we got all the time in the world. Another 5 minutes and I'll have these taco sheaths slapped together, now what did I do with my stapler :rolleyes:

Did I ever mention that I'm a morning person?;)

I knew I was going to regert that post... :D

Red Swingline.jpg

Here, use mine...

Lol, sorry Shel, but I labeled that as "things you don't want to read on the way to the dentist". Now that there's a little bit of nitros left in me I'm in better spirits:D

As far as an actual update goes, made it to my PO Box yesterday and picked up the right Sam Brown stud for the strap, wanted a black one for the bronze Bowie and only had chrome ones (PO Box lobby was locked over the Holiday weekend until Tuesday for floor waxing...wtf? I know, 1st world problems).

The 16 pieces of leather for both sheaths is cut out, stitching holes punched (around 1000 individual holes, that's not a typo or an exaggeration).

Each of those pieces is dyed, soaked in vinegaroon, neutralized with a baking soda/water soak, rinsed with clean water, and then reconditioned.

The pigskin lining is attached, the welt, retaining strap, and wedges are all burnished on the inside and attached.

Once the holes are punched and the studs are attached, then everything can be hand stitched, the strap molded over the guard, the hole and slot cut to fit the stud, edges sanded, dyed, neutralized, rinsed, burnished and a final conditioning of the whole thing.

Then I can resharpen the edge (sheathmaking is not fun with a sharp edge) do a final fit and finish, test the edge again, make kick ass Ivory, and richlite cowbells, and fill out cards with a list of the materials.

Then I can start down a very short list and hope that someone says "I'll take it!". If not then I have to stick them inside a trenchcoat and hang out on the street corner asking people "Hey buddy, wanna buy a Bowie" as I slowly open my coat.

Or I can borrow that stapler, slap some leather together and say "Good nuff!":p

I don't mean that to sound blunt at all, but the with the amount of time I have, combined with my poor skill level at leatherwork:eek: the only way I can do things quicker is take shortcuts and we know homey don't play that!:p

On the bright side, I can almost feel the left side of my face again!

Knife mangling sounds like a lot of work. Dang.
Were the floors sexier after their waxing?

No, but I bet the trench coat was!

Sounds like an incredible amount of work, John. Hopefully you'll find a taker for one or both; if not, work is picking up in the 'patch, and I hear they're hiring pole dancers in Williston again. So, there is always that (don't give up your day job). o_O

Unrelated, hung out with some friends and horses today. If I'm so inclined, there's a volunteer position available for me at Two Bear Adaptive, a therapy horse ranch for disabled or troubled individuals. Autistic kids, those with physical or mental disabilities, survivors of all walks, early onset Alzheimer's, etc. Young to old. They're hoping to branch out within a few years to provide service to injured veterans as well. It's funded by Whitefish philanthropist Mike Goguen of Two Bear Air fame. http://www.twobearair.org/

The job would likely consist of shoveling horse shit and feeding the beasts at first, but it's a solid community based program. I know some of those involved, and met with the ranch horses and dogs today. All are mellow; we got along fine, it was a good day. :thumbsup:

Back