Progress Thread - The Redmeadow Bowies

Never thought I would say this but...there is a reason you guys pay me to do this lol.

If you do want that swell at the base, I can see what I can do, but thinning out the end plate can be a double edge sword, what if you wanted to do the old No. 6 and go whooping and a whompin?:p

That's a terrible idea!! Lol

We'll get it worked out

I absolutely love mine. It fits my hand exactly like it should. Like a perfectly shaped butt in leather...

Your in luck - it come in various color too. I just bought roll of lovely sky blue tape. :cool:

Please don't say that John. Who else can we defer to? :confused: Don't leave me out here on my own.:(

Ray

Deferring to me for expertise is probably best left as a last resort! I'd never leave anyone hanging, only a brief dangle:eek::D

Just to put it in your cranial cavity so it can rattle around for a while, have you thought about making a large Bowie?
I'm thinking a leather handled one like mine but with a 12-14 inch blade.

I'd love to make a giant Bowie like that, even though it's only purpose would be for lookin at. At 7", I think the Redmeadow Bowies can actually be worn and used.

However, If I ever decide to do collector type pieces, Bowies would be it, no doubt about it.

On another note, the hosted knifemaker forums seem to be slowly dwindling away. There's only a handful that are active.

Last edited:
A place with an intelligent exchange of ideas with level of education beyond the single digit grades. ;)

John, what about an EK Model 5 Combat Bowie size? OAL a hair over 13 1/2” and at 1lb it’s no lightweight.

A little tweaking, some fullers, high hollow grind, distal tapered tang the right grind and complimentary set of scales and you could have a mean lean fightin’/slicin’ machine. Lightening fast and handle like an extention of your arm/hand.

Ever handle an EK Bowie John? It’s a well made combat fighting knife with the slant towards being aggressive, I think your take on it would result in a superb utility fighting knife.

A 13 inch leather handled relatively thin steeled Redmeadow Bowie would not be just for looking at in my opinion. When I go camping, especially with the Beckerheads, large knives get used. I want to have the largest, coolest knife there.

I agree with the purpose of a long blade, just not not in a Bowie configuration. 18" OAL Camp knife would need an different design. An 18" OAL Camp knife would be sweet, but would need to be a whole different kind of animal.

An 18in camp knife with a sweeping blade and a long clip point. Perfect.

Yeah, kinda like this big 'camp knife'... :eek:

Big.jpg

Don't laugh, it's wicked sharp. I paid good money for that big sucker, $10 I think. Even made my own sheath!o_O

I think every sheath should come with the edge side marked - BRILLIANT :thumbsup:
That's quite a nice rig for $ 10.18. ;)

Ray

Back