~Project Complete!~ I'm making friction folders! What blade steels do you want to see in them?

Which blade steel would you most like to see in a 3" bladed EDC friction folder?

• Total voters
Definitely consider AEB-L as others have said. I have nothing against any of the selection you chose, love them all, I just know AEB-L is super affordable and is quite an amazing performer north of 60rc. If you're going for affordable that is. Might be a good stainless runner up to 1095.

Design looks nice and sleek on the folder by the way!

I chose 1095, it’s very common and inexpensive. Btw, I really like your designs, could you give a rough estimate on what a knife like that would cost if you made one out of 1095?

Thank you very much! I certainly work on developing them. I'm thinking that 1095 versions will go for roughly $100USD. I don't think that they'll be much more than that though. I'll be sure to update with final pricing once I've got any and all kinks worked out.

I already am.

Beat of luck with these, I am glad to see them moving forward.

Thanks again for the interest man, it means a lot.

Definitely consider AEB-L as others have said. I have nothing against any of the selection you chose, love them all, I just know AEB-L is super affordable and is quite an amazing performer north of 60rc. If you're going for affordable that is. Might be a good stainless runner up to 1095.

Design looks nice and sleek on the folder by the way!

I'm interested in AEB-L, but I don't know that I can do the heat treatment with a single kiln, and farming it out becomes expensive quickly. It is something that I'm still considering though, I'll certainly add it as an option if it's viable! And thanks for the compliment, it was a fun model to design.

I'd also like to see the low cost AEB-L variant, the heat treat should be simple, as the steel is simple
http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=aeb-l

some good info on the HT here - https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/how-to-heat-treat-aeb-l-in-the-home-shop.1353014/

:) keep us updated
It's a simple procedure to be sure, but I only have the one kiln! I don't think it ramps quickly enough to get away with using just one. I'll do some further digging and see if it might work with my current setup, thanks for the links!

I imagine it's more important to do a (normal...) steel optimally heat treated than using a high end steel that is finnicky to heat treat and getting it "more or less right"... Just my two uninformed pences here. This random thought popped up while I'm dicing up meat for the BBQ and I keep getting amazed at how this random 1095 performs beautifully and, worse, I will leave the knife lying around until the guests leave. Cleaning happens the day after, sometimes. Never been a problem, though. Still, I would go for a stainless, as this is a win/win choice with all the stainless/high performing steels available nowadays.

I imagine it's more important to do a (normal...) steel optimally heat treated than using a high end steel that is finnicky to heat treat and getting it "more or less right"... Just my two uninformed pences here. This random thought popped up while I'm dicing up meat for the BBQ and I keep getting amazed at how this random 1095 performs beautifully and, worse, I will leave the knife lying around until the guests leave. Cleaning happens the day after, sometimes. Never been a problem, though. Still, I would go for a stainless, as this is a win/win choice with all the stainless/high performing steels available nowadays.

Agreed 100%. The HT, the design, blade geometry, ergos... all are much more important to me than the steel.

I have some 1075 and 1080 knives that are fantastic. It’s nailing the other elements that really gets the points in my book.

Nailing the elements in any steel can really get things up and running... I have some 1075 blades that keep giving, and giving... On another note, I have been pretty much baffled by the 80CrV2 done by some makers here on Blade Forums...

If you can do CPM-154 at over 60 HRC then I'm super in for that. Thin grind, slicey geometry, and hard CPM-154 gives me a funny feeling I don't want to talk about.

Another quick update; obligations elsewhere and unfortunately timed family concerns mean I won't have the lathe up and running for a little while yet. I'll update here and on the OP when that changes though, as it remains a high priority for me to get these made. Thanks once again for your interest, guys. I'll be sure to directly message those of you who wanted to be notified as well.

Another quick update; obligations elsewhere and unfortunately timed family concerns mean I won't have the lathe up and running for a little while yet. I'll update here and on the OP when that changes though, as it remains a high priority for me to get these made. Thanks once again for your interest, guys. I'll be sure to directly message those of you who wanted to be notified as well.
Totally understandable, I pray all goes well with your family.

The_Iron_Joe The_Iron_Joe

Updates?
I hope all is well with you and your family.
Thanks for the well-wishes, really.

Things have been pretty insane in the months since I last posted here, most trouble seems to have sprung up around the production of the spacers needed for the heel of the knife handle. I'll try to be brief, but the situation is as follows, and I hope I have everyone's understanding;

TL;DR at the bottom.

Firstly, the garage space I had hoped to have available for my lathe has been taken up by furniture, hardware, tools and other affects taken from a recently passed on family member, and naturally it has been quite an ordeal figuring out which things to keep, give away, sell or otherwise discard, as well as continuing to unload the house and prep it for sale, further pressing the need for that floor space. Unfortunately, a greater emphasis on paying off other debt had come into focus, and that took the majority of my efforts to pay off. The friction folder project was put aside, as I focused on other projects, as well as my regular job instead.

Sometime in late September, early October, I started looking into having spacers sourced locally, hoping to reduce the increase in cost as much as possible, fearing (rightly so, it seems...) that I would not have the lathe up and running anytime soon. There was some temporary back and forth with a local jeweler who had his own lathe set up, and although he believed he would be able to produce the spacers I needed, it ended up being wildly out of my price range, which would have pushed the price of the friction folders much too high compared to the budget price point I wanted to adhere to. Needless to say I backed out, and he appeared to understand with no hard feelings.

I wound up looking into my second option for sourcing spacers, through a casting house, and although it is of course still many times more expensive than producing the part in-house, it is affordable enough that I can eat the cost of the spacers' production until I am capable of producing them. A silver lining here is that I can have the spacers cast in not just brass, but... silver. Or copper. Or gold, and so forth. It brings to mind the idea of doing variant runs, with different spacer material and blade material combinations... anyways.

In the meantime, I spent some time working on the design of the friction folders itself, and researching new machining techniques (I have so much to learn still), happening upon a few different breakdowns for CNC workholding, including using precision-made screws as if they were set-pins for holding material in place against the fixture.

Just today, I received a cancellation email from McMaster-Carr, with whom I placed an order for washers, taps, screws, and other hardware that I have not been able to find elsewhere. They said in their email that due to the complexities of shipping to Canada, they would only ship to businesses and schools, which is understandable. Luckily, I may be able to place an order for the hardware I need through another local business, and proceed once I can get the parts from them.

So once again, thanks for the interest of anyone still checking in... I'll be sure to post again to update with how the new work-holding setup proceeds. Sorry for the wall of text, I really didn't intend this to be a whole thing, but now that I've got it all written out... yeah, it has been a very busy last few months. I'm still super excited to get this project properly underway, and very frustrated with myself that I haven't made it happen yet. I guess that's why I feel the need to explain myself like this.

TL;DR

Familial circumstances have repeatedly prevented me from being capable of fixing up my lathe, although I have been working on the project with increasing frequency, especially since October. I am attempting to have new hardware brought in to make my life easier when actually making the friction folders, although I will have to outsource the spacers for the time being.

Good luck sorting it all out. As for hardware, why not just get standard hardware? Spacers/Pivots and such should be pretty easy to get overseas for good prices?

I wish you all the best in this New Year. Like health and prosperity to you and all your family.
And if I might add my pinch of salt : don't overthink your knife too much. A good, decent steel (easy to heat treat) and yeah, stainless (sometimes it's nice to forget about caring for the knives. Coming from a carbon steel aficionado, this is priceless, I know, I know...). While I like the open structure concept, I would also consider the one piece milled out handle concept. Very clean with only pivot hardware. Needs other tools, perhaps. Just dreaming here.

b00n b00n The hardware I was referring to was more in line with mounting screws for the process of milling out handle scales and blades from raw stock, the assembly hardware is still going to be Chicago-Screws as they are still reliable, affordable, and can be adjusted easily by anyone, even without torx bits..

herisson herisson Thank you very much, and the same to you and yours. I'd love to produce something like this with a one piece milled handle, but I likely won't be attempting that until I can set aside some time to develop workholding for it all.

b00n b00n The hardware I was referring to was more in line with mounting screws for the process of milling out handle scales and blades from raw stock, the assembly hardware is still going to be Chicago-Screws as they are still reliable, affordable, and can be adjusted easily by anyone, even without torx bits..

My bad! In any case good luck sorting it out and hope you'll manage everything with the non knife related things as best as possible given the circumstances.

Thanks for the well-wishes, really.

Things have been pretty insane in the months since I last posted here, most trouble seems to have sprung up around the production of the spacers needed for the heel of the knife handle. I'll try to be brief, but the situation is as follows, and I hope I have everyone's understanding;

TL;DR at the bottom.

Firstly, the garage space I had hoped to have available for my lathe has been taken up by furniture, hardware, tools and other affects taken from a recently passed on family member, and naturally it has been quite an ordeal figuring out which things to keep, give away, sell or otherwise discard, as well as continuing to unload the house and prep it for sale, further pressing the need for that floor space. Unfortunately, a greater emphasis on paying off other debt had come into focus, and that took the majority of my efforts to pay off. The friction folder project was put aside, as I focused on other projects, as well as my regular job instead.

Sometime in late September, early October, I started looking into having spacers sourced locally, hoping to reduce the increase in cost as much as possible, fearing (rightly so, it seems...) that I would not have the lathe up and running anytime soon. There was some temporary back and forth with a local jeweler who had his own lathe set up, and although he believed he would be able to produce the spacers I needed, it ended up being wildly out of my price range, which would have pushed the price of the friction folders much too high compared to the budget price point I wanted to adhere to. Needless to say I backed out, and he appeared to understand with no hard feelings.

I wound up looking into my second option for sourcing spacers, through a casting house, and although it is of course still many times more expensive than producing the part in-house, it is affordable enough that I can eat the cost of the spacers' production until I am capable of producing them. A silver lining here is that I can have the spacers cast in not just brass, but... silver. Or copper. Or gold, and so forth. It brings to mind the idea of doing variant runs, with different spacer material and blade material combinations... anyways.

In the meantime, I spent some time working on the design of the friction folders itself, and researching new machining techniques (I have so much to learn still), happening upon a few different breakdowns for CNC workholding, including using precision-made screws as if they were set-pins for holding material in place against the fixture.

Just today, I received a cancellation email from McMaster-Carr, with whom I placed an order for washers, taps, screws, and other hardware that I have not been able to find elsewhere. They said in their email that due to the complexities of shipping to Canada, they would only ship to businesses and schools, which is understandable. Luckily, I may be able to place an order for the hardware I need through another local business, and proceed once I can get the parts from them.

So once again, thanks for the interest of anyone still checking in... I'll be sure to post again to update with how the new work-holding setup proceeds. Sorry for the wall of text, I really didn't intend this to be a whole thing, but now that I've got it all written out... yeah, it has been a very busy last few months. I'm still super excited to get this project properly underway, and very frustrated with myself that I haven't made it happen yet. I guess that's why I feel the need to explain myself like this.

TL;DR

Familial circumstances have repeatedly prevented me from being capable of fixing up my lathe, although I have been working on the project with increasing frequency, especially since October. I am attempting to have new hardware brought in to make my life easier when actually making the friction folders, although I will have to outsource the spacers for the time being.

You do you, brother. I think it's pretty well established that you've got people who are interested and ready to buy when you're ready to make. You just get yourself squared away and clean house, both literally and figuratively. I've been there, and I totally get it.

Just about five months later, but I finally have some good updates! I've been working on the work holding for the friction folder blades, and I've done a tester blade to get a feel for what I'm going to need to change between now and my first batch. I also received a small shipment of brass spacers, they work great.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how the knife is turning out. While I'm debating between brass or stainless steel for the handle screws (may just offer either as an option), I'm going to be refining some of my work holding and tool paths, as there is some difficulty in removing a section on the spine of the knife that is used while cutting out the profile of the blade... I had to clean up the spine with a belt sander, that won't be the final finish, for this or subsequent blades. I'm thinking of adding another mounting hole to the end of the tang stick and using that.

Here are some pictures!

iYZfpOu.jpg

KVSkppF.jpg

EnGeTkz.jpg

SFrVEIX.jpg

Will there be an option for a pocket clip on it? I'm digging the design, though. It's very simple and clean.

Will there be an option for a pocket clip on it? I'm digging the design, though. It's very simple and clean.
Thanks for the compliment, I've been working hard to make this happen.

Eventually, and hopefully sooner rather than later, yes! I've already got some plans drawn up for a 3D machined clip, I'll be experimenting with both G10 and stainless steel for materials. It has to integrate nicely with the current hardware to keep prices down and minimize machining time since I'm not particularly interested in using outsourced clips, as that would mean the introduction of screws, liners, etc.

Back