Proper steak/gentleman's knife

waverave

Collector of Tortoise Shell
Platinum Member
I'm not sure where this post belongs...feel free to move to proper category if needed.
I was trying to find a thread on the topic of what people are using for a steak knife outside of their home.
At home, any sharp (and clean) blade of choice will do but I find it hard to pull out one of my flippers or a Bugout at a restaurant to cut into a nice steak. I ended up getting a Shun Higo-No Kami and it is really nice. It is very elegant looking, opreates smoothly and super sharp but a little slim in the hands and not super convenient to carry out or have with you at all times (comes with sheath but no clip).
Then I came across the Boker Urban Trapper in cocobolo and it was exactly what I was looking for. The blade and handle sizes/geometries are perfect, it feels more "substantial" in the hands, it operates smoothly, looks elegant, super light, comes with a deep carry clip, and (for a knife made in China) the fit and finish is actually pretty decent (blade is perfectly centered, opens and closes nice, no mars or knicks or defects otherwise).
I am curious what others use, how or if you even consider it or if you are content with cutting a beautiful steak with a dull, half-serrated crap knife I would be curious to hear your story too.
For me, after I learned to properly sharpen a knife and use it on food...it was one of those "what the hell have I been doing all these years?" moments. My wife jokes on me a little but having a proper steak knife is just something I require.
Just to be clear, it has been my experience that most restaurants have ok steak knives and if proper etiquette requires me to use it then I will. But if I have a choice, I would take a razor sharp blade of my choosing over most restaurant knives. It probably has a lot to do with my thing for sharp knives and borderline OCD characteristics. :)
upload_2018-7-7_12-35-7.png

Last edited:
IMG_0952.JPG This is my go to knife for all things meat... steak, BBQ or anything requiring a sharp dining tool.

A.G.Russell has a neat little folder called a gentleman's steak knife.
Rich

A.G.Russell has a neat little folder called a gentleman's steak knife.
Rich

That one looks nice...made in Italy.
(image from AG Russell website)
mas-380eb.jpg

4A188984-3FAA-4F7D-A623-95CE351D1B85.jpeg I don’t have a folder for steaks but I recently bought a really nice fixed blade knife. A Bradford in M390. If I ordered steaks at restaurants, it would be tempting to bring it along! Nothing compares with the steaks made at home in the sous vide though.

Last edited:
I've used my Centofante 3 on rare occasion. The blade is only 5/64" (2mm) thick and does very well.

66pbk3.jpg

Having been my primary carry knife for around ten years, there isn't much I haven't done wit it.

At home I use a North Arm paring knife.

I use whatever steak knife the restaurant provides for me.
That is generally what I do. I typically will have a knife with me if needed. If I carry a special knife to a restaurant, it's mostly for fun.

I can’t remember the last time I ordered a steak from a restaurant.
That is sort of me right now. I love steaks. BUT, after discovering I have a red meat allergy, I don't take any chances with steaks any more (especially in restaurants). For some reason, I can generally eat roasts. I think it might be the grease that triggers my allergy?? But regardless, if I eat roast beef it is done almost as a side dish and not the main course.

^^ GB940, True, if I'm in a restaurant, I order something (like beef Wellington or veal Oscar) which is too much trouble to make at home. I cook (in various ways) a mean steak. ;)

Should the need present itself, I keep my “lunch box” Okapi clean and sharp. Aside from cutting up lunch, it’s something of a fidget item for me so it’s always in a pocket.

8cyWdM.jpg

Then I came across the Boker Urban Trapper in cocobolo and it was exactly what I was looking for. The blade and handle sizes/geometries are perfect, it feels more "substantial" in the hands, it operates smoothly, looks elegant, super light, comes with a deep carry clip, and (for a knife made in China) the fit and finish is actually pretty decent (blade is perfectly centered, opens and closes nice, no mars or knicks or defects otherwise).

I opened the thread to see if anyone had mentioned the Urban Trapper yet.
:thumbsup:
Can even carry it in a shirt pocket like a writing pen.
I have a couple and dig the heck out of them.
IMG_4233.JPG
IMG_5318.JPG

Currently for a steak knife I am using this knife (Case Trapper in CV with modded blade). (I can't bear to dull my nice Urbans on a plate).
IMG_4689.jpg

Also I bought this Cold Steel Lucky serrated to use as an ultra easy to carry steak knife. S35VN no less ! Works well for the thinner poor man steaks which are all I ever see.
I have two. A guy needs two of everything.
(plain edge blades removed from both knives)
IMG_3490.jpg

I carry a Sardinian Pattada in the back pocket that I use as a meal knife. I don't bear down on the plate when I cut my steak, rather lift the steak up slightly and cut upwards as not to dull the blade.

urban trapper in cf when we are out camping in my Newmar coach and if I dull it out comes the edge pro and leather.lol

Roland Lannier has the only knives I'd carry and use in any restaurant that isn't Wendy's.

Most of this thread will be classless and justied by 'cause

Back